Computer Recommendations for PA School?

Let me preface this by saying I am Pre-PA and haven't even completed the pre reqs. However I am a super tech geek and I have a lot of computer experience, both in building and troubleshooting different systems. If cost is an issue, I know a number of companies that offer great laptops at low prices. If you don't mind spending upwards of 1000 for a computer, then I would highly recommend a macbook pro (as stated above). The big thing to consider is that Mac apps and approved software are not going to allow a port of entry for a virus, as well as the time machine backup (it is an automatic backup of your entire hard drive, including apps, that will backup whenever you connect your external hard drive). A non-Mac laptop is much less stringent on what you install/download, which can pose a potential threat for viruses. Feel free to PM me if you want some specs/potential buys on each side. I would be more than happy to help you :). Best of luck with your shopping and I hope you find something that will help you to succeed in school!!

Steve

• Administrator

Mac. When you don't have time to deal with a computer system problem, they *just* *work*. The extra money they cost is well worth the peace of mind. Oh, and if you first used a mac 23 years ago, like I did, you can still use the current OS without having to re-learn the user interface. Windows just doesn't get that consistency and incremental improvements are very, very important to the end user experience.

I switched from a PC to a Mac halfway through a paper i was writing during didactic year. I was typing along and BAM! Blue screen of death, lost some of my report...The next day I bought a MacBook Pro. Took a couple of weeks to feel really comfortable working on it..now..I can't imagine ever going back to PC. Peace of mind is expensive, but so worth it.

I would recommend a mac. I have an old 2007 macbook which works except battery life sucks because it's so old, and it's getting a little slow and showing its age. I am buying a new MBP today. Wouldn't go with anything but mac. They just work and you can't afford to be dealing with PC problems in PA school. There just isn't any time for that, trust me. :)

I'm not in PA school yet. Last year I decided to switch to a macbook pro even though it's more expensive, because I was so sick and tired of having to deal with PC issues. It took me a couple weeks to get used to it, but honestly it's definitely worth the money. I don't have to worry about viruses either. It's an awesome computer.

• 3 weeks later...

I got an HP. I like it. About half the class had macs I think, and then a good majority of the rest had HPs and some other stuff. I consulted a family member who works for a major computer company and he turned me off his product and onto HP for something solid and affordable.

Don't get something that you don't know how to use. You will stress out.

I had the same question before I started. Best advice I could give you is wait until you start in the program. That's what I did. After a few weeks I had a better idea of what would be best suited for my classes, and also I could see what my classmates were using. I am sure you won't need anything out of the gate and waiting could better help you choose what would be best.

After starting the program, I would say laptop is likely essential and comes down to personal preferences and budget between PC and mac. I see an Ipad just as an adjunct to a laptop to read e-texts or review PPT slides.

I have a HP dm1z 11" laptop; Just as powerful as a mac, and lightweight Not much bulkier than an Ipad especially since I see Ipad users are tethering keyboards to take notes anyway. Also, fraction of the price at <$400. Online coupon codes can help with the cost too. Personally I've never had any issues with PCs or viruses. (Although pretty much every Mac user I encounter has raved about their Mac and tells me all the reasons why I should get a Mac..... )

Okay all you brilliant tech people, I need some advice. Right off the bat I'll say I'm not going to get a Mac. I just don't think I'll utilize all the features as I'm pretty clueless about computers, and I want to save a pretty penny. So, I have 2 computers in mind and would like opinions.

1. ASUS Q500A model: i5 processor, 15.6" screen, 6GB Memory, 750GB hard drive, 5.7 lbs

2. HP Envy M6-1125DX model: i5 processor, .15.6" screen, 8GB memory, 750 GB hard drive, 5.3 lbs.

Ugh I hate this technology stuff. When you're unsure of products and there are so many to choose from it's overwhelming! Thanks for any input.

I have an Asus I'm mostly happy with (it sometimes has touchpad/mouse issues), but I have an i7 processor. I would try to at least get the newest processor you can get; I paid about $650 for mine from amazon. Someone in the "know" told me that Asus uses the same internal components as high-end manufacturers like Sony but cost less since it's not a brand name. Good luck! I've always had PC's and been happy, not had them crash or anything. Back up your work just to be safe though. :-)

I'm pretty clueless about computers too, which is why I have a mac. I never have any problems with it like I did with my HPs. It doesn't slow down, it doesn't get viruses, I don't constantly have to wait for things to load, etc. and it's user friendly so I don't need to be tech savvy to be happy with it. I know they are expensive, but I find that a good computer that lasts for 6 years or longer is a much better buy than one that frustrates you until you replace it after 2 or 3 years. When I'm at school and use a PC that takes forever to load up I'm reminded of how great my Macbook is. Just my two cents.

Archived