Applied & will most likely not be accepted..need some advice

Hello,

First of big thanks to everyone in advance for the all the post and help on this forum.

Here are my stats:

Undergrad gpa: 3.3

Degree: Molecular Biology Bachelors

College credits : 160+ ( I have an associates)

Healthcare work/patient care hours: 8+ years

Currently working as a tech w/direct patient care and clinical research. (I am certified and distinguished in my field w/ multiple publications and honors)

# of schools applied:10 schools

Interviewed: 2

Rejected: 4

In every one of my interviews I was always asked about my low GPA- I explained my undergrad situation I was homeless for some time/ worked 3 jobs and lost my parents all during my freshmen year. As I am well aware everyone has difficulties to overcome and I do have an upward trend and am still taking science course at my local community college with all A's. Given I have almost 9 years of healthcare experience, I think my low gpa is the reason I am not being given serious consideration.

All my interviews said I had great LOR and they liked my personal statement.

So my question is what can I do to become more competitive? Should I get a Masters? Retake any pre- reqs with lower then an A?

I've tried to reach out and ask this question directly to the admissions committee but most schools say, they don't offer any academic counseling. :(

Look at schools that prefer lots of HCE over stellar GPA. If all your grades since your freshman year are very good, there are schools that will take that into account. Your science GPA should probably be above 3.0 to be considered by any school though, so if it's not, yes, retake some pre-req science classes to get it up there. If you have to take the GRE, make sure you do well on that too.

Thanks guys. I have mostly A/Bs in my pre-reqs w/ the exception of Orgo and 1 high 450 bio course. My down fall during undergrad was that I focused on my science courses more then my gen-eds so for example I have c's in latin or computer for just purely being immature and not time-efficient.

Unfortunately YES.

The reality is you are competing against pre-meds w/ 4.0 who were not successful in attaining a seat in med school.

Will they make great PA students? yea sure, but I hope admission committees consider people who really want to be a PA for the profession and are excellent clinicians with hours of hands on patient care experience.

I hope I don't sound bitter but that's how I see things.

Unfortunately YES.

The reality is you are competing against pre-meds w/ 4.0 who were not successful in attaining a seat in med school.

Will they make great PA students? yea sure, but I hope admission committees consider people who really want to be a PA for the profession and are excellent clinicians with hours of hands on patient care experience.

I hope I don't sound bitter but that's how I see things.

Actually for what it's worth, it's just as common if not more so that those applying to med school didn't get into PA school..

First year applying? You have now had great exposure, learning how to fine tune your application.

What do you do for your health care experience? You mentioned papers you have had published but failed to mention what the field was.

Have you contacted the schools where you were rejected from and asked why? How confident are you that your two interviews were stellar? See any room for improvement? Have those two schools actually rejected you too or are you cycling into a worst case scenario way of thinking? You may be on your way to PA school and not even know it..

My healthcare experience is in the field of ophthalmology. I work in a multi-specialty practice with retina, peds, cornea, and primary care. I also assist in the ambulatory surgery center side by side with the surgeons.

My research is the same field, specifically diabetic retinopathy in minorities and developing new ocular therapeutics. This year I will be presenting my research at a national convention for ophthalmologist.

I also volunteer as a tech for disabled and non- verbal children every weekend.

As far as knowing if my interviews went well, I can only speak on my experience of course, but I tried to be genuine and sincere with everyone. I have contacted the schools and I either get NO response or a "we received many applications this year and cannot offer u a seat" response, with no specifics.

I truly hope I get into PA school.

There has to be something you are not telling us. With those stats, you should be getting accepted to one of those 10 schools. I have seen recent applicants with stats much worse get accepted. Either you are applying to the wrong schools or there is something else in the mix. It just doesnt make sense.

This is where your personal statement comes into play. You need to put a positive spin on what you went through and demonstrate how it has made you a stronger applicant. Own that GPA when you're interviewing. Tell the interviewers that you had some hiccups due to a rough time in your life and what you learned from it.

I've agreed with some others. Based on your experience, it doesn't seem to be that low of a GPA. I don't have a great GPA: (Science 3.34, Non-science 3.65, Total: 3.48), but I really highlight the work I do in the field to show I'm capable. I do have a certification that CASPA didn't factor into the GPA (in Medical Technology), but your experience sounds just as good.

I don't think the problem is your GPA, but I do think you need to learn how to sell yourself to programs that fit you. Highlight the great things, mention why things aren't where they necessarily should be, and more than anything, express your desire to be a PA! It worked for me, with one acceptance with two more interviews on the way with my top three programs :)

Good luck!

I completely agree with some of the other posters here. Your GPA isn't at the top of the spectrum, but it's certainly not at the bottom either. A PA I work with put it really eloquently when I was leaving to fly for my interview at my top choice. She told me "You're not interviewing for a seat at their school. You're interviewing to be a future colleague of theirs in 2 years time." If you're getting an interview offer, they seen something on paper that they liked about you and are now wanting to meet you in person to confirm their original decision. Embrace the positive things you have to offer to the programs student body, and have good answers prepared to possible questions for some of the areas you feel you're not as competitive in. Best of luck!

"You're not interviewing for a seat at their school. You're interviewing to be a future colleague of theirs in 2 years time." If you're getting an interview offer, they seen something on paper that they liked about you and are now wanting to meet you in person to confirm their original decision. Best of luck!

I agree wholeheartedly.

I got in with a similar GPA and less experience. Like someone else said its not like all the schools you applied to you got rejections from, you did atleast get 2 interviews. Just try to be confident and practice interviewing with someone you know won't "sugarcoat" how well you do in a mock interview. I also got approached about my low GPA and one school I actually had to persuade the committe that my academic issues were behind me and that I knew I could make it through their program. BE YOURSELF in your interviews and also be professional. I really think a couple of my interviews last year would have ended up more positively had I not overthought some of the questions and answered them more personably.

Interviews are always a good sign. These people are busy, they will not bring in someone thinking that it will be a waste of time. They believe that this person is a candidate.

On the flip side of the coin, I have not been invited for an interview and have higher grades than you. Grades are not everything. I would not be worried until you straight up get a letter saying "we recieved a lot of qualified applicants this year, but you are not qualified enough" letter.

Yea I tried my best for my personal statement to really shine- I had friends and professors proof-read it and had several drafts made up. So I guess the overall consensus is not to pursue a Masters and just re-try?

Mestizo- I hope you hear back, but I definitely understand where your coming from.

Archived