Emergency Medicine Links/Residencies

The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) School of Medicine is proud to announce the newest addition to its medical education programs. The UCSF Fresno Emergency Medicine PA Residency is accepting applications for its 2016 class. This 18 month post-graduate program is designed to prepare PAs to practice in a variety of emergency medicine environments. We will be accepting 2 residents in 2016.

Rotations include:

-          Trauma

-          Critical Care

-          Burn

-          Orthopedics

-          Dermatology

-          Ophthalmology

-          Oral Maxillofacial Surgery

-          Toxicology

-          Radiology

-          Emergency Ultrasound

-          ECG

-          Anesthesia

-          EMS

Resuscitation courses include: ACLS, ATLS, BLS, PALS

18-month stipend: $90,000

Full Benefits

Paid attendance at SEMPA 360, SEMPA’s annual conference

Our giant, new, state-of-the-art ED at Community Regional Medical Center serves as the only Level 1 trauma center and Burn center for Central California, and handles an annual ED volume of over 110,000.

For more information:

http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/em/pa/

em.pa.residency@fresno.ucsf.edu​

page 1 updated with contact info for fresno program. I did my paramedic internship in fresno in 1992. great place to train with high volume trauma and medical calls. probably similar to what one would find in an inner city program in chicago, detroit, or new york city.

Good info. I'll be submitting my app next week. 

Here's another new program at Univ. of New Mexico that sounds promising:

http://emed.unm.edu/education/prospective-applicants/physician-assistant-residency-in-emergency-medicine.html

You'll have to email the contact person listed on the site to get the application and reference forms. Also, sounds like this residency will have a strong critical care focus. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that the UCSF Fresno EMPA Residency 2016 application cycle will close on March 15. We've received a number of applications so we recommend that folks who are interested submit their application as soon as possible. 

We will also have rolling admissions into the fall for exceptional candidates who cannot start July 1.

For more information:

http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/em/pa/

em.pa.residency@fresno.ucsf.edu​

• 1 month later...

New Emergency Medicine Fellowship through University of Rochester (NY)/Strong Memorial Hospital for 2016-2017. It appears the deadline for applications has already passed for this year. This is a great hospital system for PAs. Please add to master list.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/MediaLibraries/URMCMedia/emergency-medicine/education/documents/EM-APP-Fellowship-Application-2016-2017.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lakeland Regional Health ED (Lakeland, Florida)  will be starting an EM PA Fellowship/Residency starting 9/2016.  LRH ED is the busiest single site ED in the United States with an annual volume of 212K!!!  Our program is new and we are looking for enthusiastic graduates that are looking to learn and grow with us!!!

For info please contact  Dr. Todd Haber

thaber2@mac.com

• 5 months later...

good afternoon

new EM PA residency at Lakeland Regional Health looking to fill our second class..

Start date  10/1/2017

12 month program at  the busies single site ED in the US...

Our first class is off to an amazing start!!!

For info please contact

Todd Haber MD

Program Director

LRH ED

Lakeland Florida 33805

Todd.Haber@myLRH.org

Thaber2@mac.com

Sonia.Key@myLRH.org

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
Guest HanSolo

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/emergency-medicine/education/fellowship/app-fellowship-program-in-emergency-medicine.aspx

University of Rochester EM Fellowship. 12 months. Didn't see it in the list. Not a lot of details on their website, though. Looks like the application opens in January with a March 2nd deadline. Also says fellows are offered full-time positions in the ED post graduation, which is great for folks who wanted to stay in the area.

• 1 month later...

Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant (EMPA) Postgraduate Training Programs: Program Characteristics and Training Curricula Chadd K. Kraus, DO, DrPH, MPH* Terry E. Carlisle, PA-C, MPAS† Devin M. Carney, BHS‡ Section Editor: Jeffrey Druck, MD Submission history: Submitted February 9, 2018; Revision received June 19, 2018; Accepted June 20, 2018 Electronically published July 26, 2018 Full text available through open access at http://escholarship.org/uc/uciem_westjem DOI: 10.5811/westjem.2018.6.37892 Introduction: A growing number of formal postgraduate training programs have been established to provide emergency medicine physician assistants (EMPA) with the unique skills and knowledge to work in the emergency department (ED). The objective of this study was to provide an overview of the current state of EMPA postgraduate training and to describe program characteristics and curriculum components. Methods: We conducted a cross-sectional study of EMPA postgraduate training programs using data from websites and contacting individual programs to provide program characteristics and curriculum components. Variables collected included length of program, curriculum (e.g., clinical rotations, didactic experience, and research opportunities), size of program/number of trainees, affiliation with emergency medicine (EM) residency, geographic location, and salary. Results: We identified 29 EMPA postgraduate training programs in 17 states, with at least one additional program in development. The mean length of EMPA training programs is 15 months (range 12-24 months). The most common non-ED/elective rotations are orthopedics, ultrasound, anesthesiology, and trauma. The mean number of trainees per class is 3.46 (median 3, range 1-16 trainees); 27 of 29 (93%) programs were in institutions that also had an EM residency program. The mean annual salary is $58,566 (range $43,000-90,000). Conclusion: EMPA postgraduate training programs have common characteristics and curriculum components despite a lack of a specialty-specific accrediting organization or certifying examination. The overall growth and current number of these programs merits further research focusing on whether standardized curricula, formal recognition, and accreditation should be developed. [West J Emerg Med. 2018;19(5)1–5.]

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Really interesting read! Also answered my question of average residency salary. Earning 60k for a 12 month residency in EM, which then allows a PA much more autonomy and confidence in an ER sounds amazing. @EMEDPA a few questions...

So from what I understand typically out of school EM PAs have a tough time finding a job in the ER, and when they do it’s usually a high patient low acuity setting such as fast track? Is this due to not enough training or focus while in ER rotation during school? 

Once finished with a residency say for example at Baylor in the DFW area, how likely is it that that residency will affect my job prospects away from Baylor say in Kentucky or Idaho? Is a PA EM residency like a golden ticket for getting hired and contract negotiations?

i guess my questions are fairly individualized as what I mean to ask is in your experience do you have power in your certificate, or with your experience? Fresh out of school is it unlikely to work EM for a fair salary?

EDIT: 

Oh also, are these residencies in an educational setting or are you shadowing an ER phys/pa? What do they typically entail as far as being beneficial compared to just jumping into EM?

Edited by Hopeful2018

Hopeful, there is some difficulty for new grads landing EM jobs.  However, 25% of my graduating class did so (though that was 5 years ago).  I don't believe any of those jobs were fast track only.  These folks did at least 1 EM rotation, sometimes 2.  While the new grad market is very different than that for experienced EM PA's, there are still good EM jobs for new grads, at least in the midwest.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:06 PM, Hopeful2018 said:

@EMEDPA a few questions...

So from what I understand typically out of school EM PAs have a tough time finding a job in the ER, and when they do it’s usually a high patient low acuity setting such as fast track? Is this due to not enough training or focus while in ER rotation during school? 

Once finished with a residency say for example at Baylor in the DFW area, how likely is it that that residency will affect my job prospects away from Baylor say in Kentucky or Idaho? Is a PA EM residency like a golden ticket for getting hired and contract negotiations?

i guess my questions are fairly individualized as what I mean to ask is in your experience do you have power in your certificate, or with your experience? Fresh out of school is it unlikely to work EM for a fair salary?

EDIT: 

Oh also, are these residencies in an educational setting or are you shadowing an ER phys/pa? What do they typically entail as far as being beneficial compared to just jumping into EM?

1. doing em requires significant exposure. folks who are former paramedics or ER nurses definitely have a leg up. I was able to do trauma surgery, peds em, em, and EM elective while in PA school and was a former medic so that certainly helped.

2. residency grads have their pick of the top jobs.

3. residency is a huge plus. experience is a huge plus. both is the golden ticket.

4. there is no shadowing in these. you are an EM intern, typically alongside EM md interns doing exactly the same things with the same responsibilities. your patient, your procedure. read a few of the em residency blogs on this site to get a feel for what they entail.

• Like 2