PA school acceptance rates

Anyone know what is a typical acceptance rate for a PA school? Also I live in NY what are some good master programs in the state and the surrounding area (NJ, CT, PA, etc) And do PA schools make exceptions with service hours if you have a high GPA? I know some of these programs wants hundreds if not thousands of hours. My current GPA is a little over a 3.6 and I'm a double major in biology and geobiology at Penn State. I don't even have 100 hours of service and I'm a first semester sophomore. What should I do ? I also have to take microbiology, anatomy and physiology still. These class at my school, microbio 201, 202 and bio 129, 141 and 142 won't count towards my majors so they'll just be extra classes. I may not have room to fit them in. Any advice?

Y'all have scads of schools back in that neck of the woods so my suggestion is to pick your top 3-5 programs that really really interest you then make comparison chart of what their requirements are and custom form yourself to exceed their standards. If you try to appeal to all the local schools and cast a large, loose net, chances are you'll come up empty. However, if you zero in, use some specific guidance outlined in their pre reqs/acceptance stats, then ensure you meet AND exceed them...I am betting you'll be much more productive. You're only a sophomore. Focus, don't toss your GPA out with too much partying. Buckle down and focus, get your classes and find a job in the health care field and learn what PAs AND other medical careers are all about.

It doesn't really matter what your degree is in as long as you meet the school's basic requirements.

Get some HCE and get puked, peed on a few times. Put your hands on some patients. Get cussed out a few times. While more and more schools seem to be not requiring as much or no HCE I think it is a vital requirement. Being a good PA is not all about having good grades and wearing a spiffy white coat. Don't be like a lot of medical students in their 3rd/4th yr who discover they don't really want to be docs. Grades are not, or shouldn't be, the end all of being a good PA student

Get some HCE and get puked, peed on a few times. Put your hands on some patients. Get cussed out a few times. While more and more schools seem to be not requiring as much or no HCE I think it is a vital requirement. Being a good PA is not all about having good grades and wearing a spiffy white coat. Don't be like a lot of medical students in their 3rd/4th yr who discover they don't really want to be docs. Grades are not, or shouldn't be, the end all of being a good PA student

PREACH! :wink: So true. By the way, you have tons of time.. For some reason this seems like a strange concept to many people in college now, but you do not have to start grad school the second you graduate undergrad.... I think there is a lot of benefit 1) going out and getting experience in the field 2) going out and getting experience in the world and 3). having a little fun in your 20's before you dive right into your career.

I went back at 27 (which I know is not considered very 'senior' by many people on this forum), and while at first I was a little jealous of people that knew what they wanted to do at 19 and 20 years old, now I am SO grateful for the other experiences I've had in my life because I took 5 years outside of school to do other things.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.. stepping calmly off soapbox now..

Honestly it blows my mind how many people apply to PA school. I interviewed at a newer program for their 2nd class. Their deadline is December 1st and I went 2 weeks ago and they already had over 600 applicants!! Now I was honored that they were interested in me, surely in those 600 there must have been someone more impressive. So don't discredit your experiences- just get some! If it can't be hands-on right at this point, that's ok. Tutor the underserved. Volunteer at the red cross. While you are waiting to get hands on hours, there are options and people who need volunteers now. Yes, it sucks that those classes are outside your major but most are in the same boat. A & P, all the psychs, etc didn't count toward my major. But look at it that they want a well-rounded person, not a master of biology and you will understand more. Some of those psych classes really help you understand the holistics of treating patients. I wish I would have minored in psych. Even meeting those people in the other classes will teach you a lot.

As to the getting right out of college and going for PA school, I think that is what is having to happen these days. I got an STNA and NOBODY wants me because I have "no experience" (yes I do have patient care experience but not that specific). I am getting bitter because I have put in applications all over to so many hospitals for so many types of positions and all they want are people with experience. Granted I moved back to a smaller town after college, which could be my first mistake. I would just be aware that fresh out of college with a great degree and great grades doesn't mean anything to hospitals unfortunately. So try to get a job at the PSU medical center/clinic then if you do have a year or few years off, you can get hired!

Good luck to you!

I don't even have 100 hours of service and I'm a first semester sophomore. What should I do ?

Maybe it doesn't feel like it now, but you have soooo much time. You have at least two years until you apply. Even just one year of focusing on the right things can make a mediocre applicant into a stellar one. Try not to assume that being exceptional in one area will make up for lacking in another. For one, it likely won't, and for two, you're selling yourself short. Think how much more attractive you'll be to admissions committees if instead of being an applicant who is just okay in all other areas with an above average GPA, you could be an applicant who is rock-solid across the board with an above average GPA.

I actually composed a list of schools with their requirements :wink:. The only one in NY that doesn't require service hours is Cornell. At least for the master programs. Cornell offers a certificate of completion what's that? Is that the same as a masters in PA? Oh and a masters in PA is to a PA what a M.D is to a doctor correct? They can practice in hospitals with it?

^ Excuse me I'm unfamiliar with how PA school works. I'm not set on being a PA yet and the fact that you stated idk what a doctor is really shows that you're a troll. I just want more facts.

how about we start with finding out what u do know about PA and we go from there? Perhaps we can fill in some details about the job and the typical path to reach it.

PA is a physician assistant. A PAs role is to assist doctors in a variety of ways, surgeries, seeing patients, writing prescriptions, etc all under the supervision of doctors. They do not pay high malpractice insurance and they have less schooling unlike doctors. They can work in clinics, hospitals, private practices etc.

where is the LIKE button for this post?

Research this site......you will find out just about everything you need to know. Go to the Schools section and follow the links to the different programs. Read (don't comment) the professional PA section to see what is really happening with the PA career.

Your assumptions are are partly right, but there is much more to it. PA is NOT the easy way to go. Get some healthcare experience....don't say you can't. Just about every practicing PA was able to; you can as well. Just because a program doesn't require HCE doesn't mean you don't need it. Without any form of HCE, you have about a zero chance of getting in to most if not all programs.

Find the basic information for yourself (I did), then ask questions. You are getting short replies because you lack the willingness to find the answers to even basic questions.

BTW.....MPAS to PA is not like MD to doctor. That notion tells me you know next to nothing about healthcare. LEARN!

PA is a physician assistant. A PAs role is to assist doctors in a variety of ways, surgeries, seeing patients, writing prescriptions, etc all under the supervision of doctors. They do not pay high malpractice insurance and they have less schooling unlike doctors. They can work in clinics, hospitals, private practices etc.

So are you under the impression that the doctor is standing in the same room as the PA and patient? The way you wrote your statement, it sounds like the PA is writing down prescriptions for the doctor. Are you aware of the autonomy that the PA has in most states?

The malpractice is typically paid for by the office/hospital they work for. There is no law that I am aware of limiting civil action or award amounts against a PA so the amount of malpractice coverage is comparable to a physician. Less "schooling"...this is true. Most PAs get "schooled" in a 24-30 month program. PA school is not as intense as med school however, the attendance hours are more intensive (longer days in the didactic portion) and attendance is much more regulated. Med students historically don't have to show up for class most days where PA students are required to be there. To get into that program there is a greater desire to have the applicant work in a health care setting for a few hundred hours at least, hopefully a few thousand hours. The educational process of real life experience does not replace that of med school, but it gets the PA up to speed, faster, with fewer mistakes and overall improved patient care. It reduces liability for the supervising physician, who may, or may not, even be on the clinic property during working hours. There is a physician about 1/3rd of the time that my preceptor is working. Most times, it's just her and I, maybe another PA/NP.

.....sounds more like the description of an MA than a PA

Archived