Application Cycle 2012-2013!

I've decided to give up the seat that I was offered for this fall - so that's good news for all of those who were waitlisted or yet to interview.

It wasn't really a tough decision after having interviewed with Dean Harbert or however you spell/pronounce it. That guy is really something; he came across as pompous, prejudice (homophobic), know-it-all, etc. He made a prejudice comment that offended me in my individual interview and did not leave a good impression. Ultimately, I would not want my success as a PA/professional to reflect well on him or his program, but that's just me. <- this is me being politically correct about the experience. :)

On the other hand, the current students were helpful and the other faculty member who did my panel interview was open and attentive. The simulation lab was excellent, classroom was great as well. I don't mean to discourage anyone from applying or anything, just sharing my experience for those are contemplating.

Thanks again to the students and good luck to everyone in their applications and pursuits as a PA!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry that you had a negative experience, jaw1. I never made it off of the waitlist last year, unfortunately. I have very high hopes for this year's interview and am not at all averse to the idea of there being more seats available when I go in to interview this year.

Best of luck wherever you end up!

Definitely don't let the above deter you. Not to start an argument or belittle anyone's experience, but meet the man yourself and decide what you think. Some people just don't mesh with another individual and you shouldn't assume that will be your experience.

I don't think I've ever had a negative encounter with Dr. Harbert and I don't know that anyone in our class has either. He's been a consummate professional in every interaction I've had with him and, from what I've been told from other students that have interacted with him, he's he's been just as professional with them as well. I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience jaw1, I hope it was all just a miscommunication/misunderstanding.

I don't think I've ever had a negative encounter with Dr. Harbert and I don't know that anyone in our class has either. He's been a consummate professional in every interaction I've had with him and, from what I've been told from other students that have interacted with him, he's he's been just as professional with them as well. I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience jaw1, I hope it was all just a miscommunication/misunderstanding.

I agree with lolWUT?

I have never had a problem with Dr. Harbert. I am unsure of your exact situation, and I hope that you do well in your program of choice. However, maybe you should handle your frustrations in a more adult manner next time. You aren't always going to agree with everyone, and you should learn that now. You will have to treat patients that you disagree with in the future, and you will have to treat them even if they offend you. In fact, sometimes they may ask that you not treat them because of your differing beliefs. I am sorry that he hurt your pride/feelings, and I hope that doesn't happen again.

I agree with lolWUT?

I have never had a problem with Dr. Harbert. I am unsure of your exact situation, and I hope that you do well in your program of choice. However, maybe you should handle your frustrations in a more adult manner next time. You aren't always going to agree with everyone, and you should learn that now. You will have to treat patients that you disagree with in the future, and you will have to treat them even if they offend you. In fact, sometimes they may ask that you not treat them because of your differing beliefs. I am sorry that he hurt your pride/feelings, and I hope that doesn't happen again.

lassibk: Thank you for the intellectual and insightful feedback

lolWUT? -

I wanted to tell you that I have indeed accepted to go to South College and reserved my seat. So, if you or whoever is in charge of that Facebook group want to send me an invite to the new group, you officially can send me one now :) I cannot wait to join everyone in the program this fall!!

lolWUT? -

I wanted to tell you that I have indeed accepted to go to South College and reserved my seat. So, if you or whoever is in charge of that Facebook group want to send me an invite to the new group, you officially can send me one now :) I cannot wait to join everyone in the program this fall!!

Congratulations! I believe we're waiting on confirmation from admissions before people start getting invited to the group. We'll keep you posted though.

Does anyone know if they still have open seats and are interviewing? I sent in my application a few months ago, and I recieved confirmation that all my documents were recieved by south college, however I have not heard anything from them yet. I'm starting to get worried...:sadface:

Does anyone know if they still have open seats and are interviewing? I sent in my application a few months ago, and I recieved confirmation that all my documents were recieved by south college, however I have not heard anything from them yet. I'm starting to get worried...:sadface:

Does anybody know if there are still seats for this fall? Please let me know. Thanks

We have at least 2 more interview sessions, excluding tomorrow, so I'm sure there are seats left.

To Jaw1: First, let me wish you the best of luck on you quest to become a PA. However, I have to tell you that giving up a seat in such a competitive program may be a decision you may come to regret. Personalities are like finger prints (everyone has a different one) and we don't have to agree or like the ones that stray away from our beliefs just like others don't have to agree with ours. Personnally, I am on my second year of trying to secure a seat in a program and have interviewed in several schools without the joy of receiving an offer. Actually, I am waiting for an interview invite from South College and if it comes and I get an ofer you better believe that I will accept it immediatelly. Maybe because I am 41 years old of which the last 23 I have spent serving my country as a Navy Corpsman is why I may see things in a different light. Maybe is the fact that I have a family to support or maybe is the fact that I want to do this so bad that when I see people passing up a great opportunity it bothers me so much. I have to tell you that life is made up of opportunites some of which only happen once and how we take advantage of these opportunites is what help us buid our character. I congratulate you for having such strong convictions and beliefs however, recently I finished a book from Colin Powell called "It Worked For Me in Life and Leadership" and I want to leave you with a quote from one of his 13 principles of leadership which states "Don't let your position get so close to your ego that when your position falls your ego falls with it."

To Jaw1: First, let me wish you the best of luck on you quest to become a PA. However, I have to tell you that giving up a seat in such a competitive program may be a decision you may come to regret. Personalities are like finger prints (everyone has a different one) and we don't have to agree or like the ones that stray away from our beliefs just like others don't have to agree with ours. Personnally, I am on my second year of trying to secure a seat in a program and have interviewed in several schools without the joy of receiving an offer. Actually, I am waiting for an interview invite from South College and if it comes and I get an ofer you better believe that I will accept it immediatelly. Maybe because I am 41 years old of which the last 23 I have spent serving my country as a Navy Corpsman is why I may see things in a different light. Maybe is the fact that I have a family to support or maybe is the fact that I want to do this so bad that when I see people passing up a great opportunity it bothers me so much. I have to tell you that life is made up of opportunites some of which only happen once and how we take advantage of these opportunites is what help us buid our character. I congratulate you for having such strong convictions and beliefs however, recently I finished a book from Colin Powell called "It Worked For Me in Life and Leadership" and I want to leave you with a quote from one of his 13 principles of leadership which states "Don't let your position get so close to your ego that when your position falls your ego falls with it."

He might have gotten accepted elsewhere. It really is his prerogative, and he'll live with any consequences of his decision.

On a lighter note...I interviewed here this morning AND I GOT IN!!!!!

Congrats, Micky! I'll see you next year!!!

Archived