Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mvs 1

Application Cycle 2012-2013!

274 posts in this topic

I got a email a few day ago that stated this "The application review process will begin in November, and interviews will begin in January, concluding in May. Those applicants selected will be notified 2-4 weeks before the interview date."

Hi Oneal- What year are you? What did you think about the interview process.. and in your opinion, what do you think South concentrates on the most with candidates? Thx

Hi Oneal- What year are you? What did you think about the interview process.. and in your opinion, what do you think South concentrates on the most with candidates? Thx

1st year. Interview process was fine. The panel interviews threw me a bit, but most everyone was nice and I loved knowing when I left that I was accepted.

Looking at my classmates I can honestly say they accept a diverse group. Some have excellent HCE, some have none, some have awesome GPAs, some are low, all age groups. I really cannot pin down any one thing. I think the interview plays a big role here. They do LOVE military experience.

I loved knowing when I left that I was accepted.

I appreciated that they met with you again to tell you what they had decided. Of course, it my case I still left not knowing, but I appreciated the advice they gave me to improve my application.

does anyone know how South calculates our GPA? Do they factor in classes you have withdrawn from or do they take the highest grade?

At oneal, does military experience play a big role in the decision factor? Just wondering cause I applied there this cycle and have 8 years of experience as a Navy Corpsman.

At oneal, does military experience play a big role in the decision factor? Just wondering cause I applied there this cycle and have 8 years of experience as a Navy Corpsman.

I feel it does. We have several in our class that were prior military and many faculty are prior service.

Best of luck to everybody applying this cycle! They typically don't get in touch with you about an interview until 2-4 weeks before the interview date.

I'm a 1st year as well, so feel free to ask me questions about the whole thing.

Best of luck to everybody applying this cycle! They typically don't get in touch with you about an interview until 2-4 weeks before the interview date.

I'm a 1st year as well, so feel free to ask me questions about the whole thing.

I had a couple of questions about the program: what do you think of the curriculum, what does the program seem to focus on, do you have cadaver dissections, do students feel they have enough time to complete assignments/study for tests, what is the overall feeling of the program (positive/negative) by the students and staff, was it hard to find places to rent and live, etc.

Thanks

I had a couple of questions about the program: what do you think of the curriculum, what does the program seem to focus on, do you have cadaver dissections, do students feel they have enough time to complete assignments/study for tests, what is the overall feeling of the program (positive/negative) by the students and staff, was it hard to find places to rent and live, etc.

Thanks

I'm loving the curriculum so far, but ask me again during your interview date (We'll be in Clinical Assessment and Management by then, which I've heard is rough). We have a cadaver lab that is done between 1st and 2nd quarter up in Johnson City at ETSU. It's incredibly intense from what I've heard (it's a 6 day ordeal) and I'll have more info about it at the interview dates since they schedule the interviews during 2nd/3rd quarter. As far as study time, if you have good time management skills you'll have plenty of time. That being said, I've got issues with time management (squirrel!) and I still feel like I have plenty of time. Everybody in my class and the class ahead of us seems to thoroughly enjoy the program and staff. The staff have a great relationship with each other and students and try to make it feel like you're part of a big family. As far as places to live, a lot of students live in Lovell Crossing Apartments, but there are plenty of places to live that are relatively close to the campus. Also, if you get accepted, they'll give you a Knoxville information packet that has some apartment guides and what have you.

Has anyone heard anything from South College? I saw an earlier post that suggested they started reviewing the applications in Nov. I was just curious if anyone had been invited for an interview yet.

Has anybody heard anything yet? Do any current students know if they've started contactapplicants? Also, I'm cun athletic trainer for an orthopedic/sports medicine clinic in Fort Worth, TX and I have a masters in athletic training in and sports medicine as well. Does any of the current classes (1st, 2nd or 3rd years) have athletic trainers? Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

Has anybody heard anything yet? Do any current students know if they've started contactapplicants? Also, I'm cun athletic trainer for an orthopedic/sports medicine clinic in Fort Worth, TX and I have a masters in athletic training in and sports medicine as well. Does any of the current classes (1st, 2nd or 3rd years) have athletic trainers? Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

They've got a lot going on right now. Last I heard, which was at least a month ago, they had over 600 completed applications with several more hundred still in various stages of completion. We first years just got done with our cadaver lab so the pace should hopefully start picking up here soon. As far as athletic trainers, I believe there might be one or two, but to be honest, I don't remember if they were athletic trainers or personal trainers.

Just got an email from the faculty: first interview is this Friday (the 11th). I'm going to try to be there to help you guys out

Email.

I've been confirmed to be there with you guys and will likely be at multiple interviews, if anyone has questions.

Email.

I've been confirmed to be there with you guys and will likely be at multiple interviews, if anyone has questions.

That sounds like great news!

In general, how are the interviews conducted at South College?

It's a day process of a tour, q&a, ect, but the interview itself is typical. I don't know what I can and cannot say. Wouldn't want to confer an unfair advantage.

Thank you for the information. Do you by any chance know how many interview session have been scheduled as of now?

Not including the one on Friday, there are about 5 more. Another one towards the end of January, one in February, two in March, another in April, and they've got a May TBD that is dependent upon how many they take from the other interview sessions. I believe they're keeping the class size right at 70 again this year, since the facilities are basically at capacity at that number.

lolWUT Thank you for the info. Have they already contacted the people the are interviewing during those dates?

As far as I know they have only contacted those who will be interviewing in January.

lolWUT Thank you for the info. Have they already contacted the people the are interviewing during those dates?

Ah, I didn't understand your question. There are five, but as of my last posting they only contacted one group. I believe they are sending out the next group now or very soon.

I just received an email today with my invitation to interview at South College on Jan 25. I have already committed to Duke, but I just wanted to pass along the information to anyone who is waiting for their email interview invitation. It states that by the end of the interview day, you will know if you have been accepted to next year's PA class. At least you do not have to wait long for your acceptance response! Good luck everyone!

You guys think its too late to submit an application at this point?

I honestly don't remember the deadline, but if you've got time I'd suggest sending one.

You guys think its too late to submit an application at this point?

I applied in Feb last year. I got in! So you should definitely apply.

For those already receiving their interview invites, when did you send in your application?

I sent my application in November.

Can anyone give me an idea about how long interview day lasts? I am trying to decide if I should reserve a hotel room and stay in Knoxville after the interview or if I want to drive home (5 1/2 hour drive). Thank you in advance!