Calculus

Hi,

I'm a first year student at Rutgers University and I'm currently in precalculus. I plan on pursuing PA school after I graduate with a degree in psych and need to take stat for that major. I'm not the greatest in math, but I work very hard. Are there many PA programs that don't require calculus as a prerequisite? I have seen many programs that require calculus and I am trying to avoid this class at all costs.

I took precalculus for my bachelor degree requirement, but I've never come across a PA program that requires precalculus, and certainly not calculus. Statistics, however, is a prerequisite or a recommended course for a handful of programs so be sure to get a 3.0 or higher in that class if you're considering any of those programs. During my freshmen year, I created a spreadsheet of each school's prerequisites for programs I would feasibly attend if they interviewed me, and plotted out my schedule over the next few years. That way, I made sure I had ample time to study for them with all of my other classes. Best of luck!

Even if you need calculus you could probably get by with just business calculus, and not have to do the Calc1/Calc2. The Calc1/2 are more for other sciences and pre-med, but I've ready some people are even taking the Business Calc / Statistics as pre-meds. Contact PA programs of interest but I highly doubt you'll find any (maybe 1-2) that require calc

• 2 years later...

FIU in south Florida will begin matriculation this year. Surprisingly they require PREREQUISITES

• Mathematics (6 semester hours; must include statistics)
  • MAC 1114 Trigonometry (credit cannot be received for both MAC 1114 and Pre-calculus Algebra and Trigonometry/ MAC 1147)
  • MAC 1147 Pre-Calculus Algebra and Trigonometry
  • MAC 2233 Calculus for Business
  • MAC2311 Calculus I
  • MAC 2312 Calculus II
  • MAC 2313 Multivariable Calculus
  • STA 2023 Statistics for Business and Economics
  • STA 2122 Introduction to Statistics I
  • STA 3111 Statistics I

Still confused on whether you must have taken 6 credits of math along with all of these, or if those are just a list of which classes you could take to satisfy the 6 credits. Thoughts, anyone? Can be found here: http://medicine.fiu.edu/physician-assistant-program/prerequisite-courses/index.html

FIU in south Florida will begin matriculation this year. Surprisingly they require PREREQUISITES

• Mathematics (6 semester hours; must include statistics)
  • MAC 1114 Trigonometry (credit cannot be received for both MAC 1114 and Pre-calculus Algebra and Trigonometry/ MAC 1147)
  • MAC 1147 Pre-Calculus Algebra and Trigonometry
  • MAC 2233 Calculus for Business
  • MAC2311 Calculus I
  • MAC 2312 Calculus II
  • MAC 2313 Multivariable Calculus
  • STA 2023 Statistics for Business and Economics
  • STA 2122 Introduction to Statistics I
  • STA 3111 Statistics I

Still confused on whether you must have taken 6 credits of math along with all of these, or if those are just a list of which classes you could take to satisfy the 6 credits. Thoughts, anyone? Can be found here: http://medicine.fiu.edu/physician-assistant-program/prerequisite-courses/index.html

6 units from that list, not the whole list. Trig and intro stats would do it at 3 units apiece.

Calc I (differentiation) usually is not too bad.

Calc II (Integrals) always struck me as a kind of witchcraft. You throw in a bunch of letters and numbers, and rather inscrutably out pops another set of letters and numbers. I was never so happy to get a C+ in a class.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a first year student at Rutgers University and I'm currently in precalculus. I plan on pursuing PA school after I graduate with a degree in psych and need to take stat for that major. I'm not the greatest in math, but I work very hard. Are there many PA programs that don't require calculus as a prerequisite? I have seen many programs that require calculus and I am trying to avoid this class at all costs.

Most require stats/biostats.  Avoid calc unless you are sure that you can score an awesome grade in it AND still take stats.

Archived