I recently had an interview at my top choice program that went...um...not as well as I had hoped. I feel like they didn't get a good feel for me or my personality and drive, and I was just so nervous. I almost want to call or write to tell them why they should still consider me for the program, but I know that would seem desperate and strange, so I'm just going to send a thank-you note to the director and hope for the best.

anybody have tips on coming back from a bad interview? I've read the books and practiced--I just never had that "nervous" feeling until I was in the actual interview seat. Oy.

Remember, perfect practice makes perfect. You need to figure out a way to simulate that anxiety, and learn how to make handle it. Any idea what causes that anxious feeling? Your sympathetic nervous system. Learn how to cope with it by doing practice interviews with anyone who will take the time to help...or you can beg your primary care doc for some beta blockers :o)

Archived