Sign in to follow this  
Jaherna2

Athletic Trainer to PA

Hello all, I would like some feedback from Athletic Trainers that are in PA school or are currently PAs. I have been a certified athletic trainer for the last 6 six working in the professional sports setting but recently I have been intrigued by the PA profession for various reasons. Any information would be helpful.. thanks!

My lab partner was an athletic trainer in pro football and he's doing just fine. He knows a ton of ortho, and is lacking in other areas, just as other people are ahead in emergency medicine, or general surgery, or psych or whatever depending on their background.

I am only in my second rotation of PA school but I have been told by multiple people, including nurses, PAs, Midwifes, etc that I appear extremely comfortable working with patients and that I am less "awkward" compared to many of the other PA students when it comes to doing physical exams and pelvic exams (I'm in OB/GYN rotation now). Also you have probably done a million BPs and pre participation physicals for athletes so I'm sure that you will be good with all the new H&Ps in Ambulatory Care or Family Medicine. Plus the ongoing SOAP notes you've written will also assist you in documentation.

For didactic year I felt that anatomy and physiology was really easy compared to many of my classmates. After having to learn all the exact O&A of all muscles and doing thorough MSK exams I think you will be surprised in clinical practice how little of your AT knowledge regarding sports med/athletic injuries/ortho is used in primary care. It's a bit disapointing that you have all this knowledge of injuries and for most patients, a basic ROM and strength exam is done most patients to look for different types of arthritis vs soft tissue injuries and the treatment is just RICE and NSAIDs. Everything else is referred to ortho or PT.

The only classes I didn't have some exposure to in undergrad in sports medicine classes were microbiology and genetics but those are things you can be proactive about before your program starts if you have the time to brush up on them.

Good luck!

I'm not a former athletic trainer, but my class had a few members that were and they had no trouble navigating the program. They also excelled in the expected areas that they had gained experience in prior to the PA program.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By June4k
      Any one have any experience with hospital loan repayment?
      I started a job in a rural area three years ago at a hospital that offers $20,000 per year towards loan repayment.  That money is then forgiven after 3 years of service on the back end.  So long story short I have been at my job now for just shy of three years and have taken out a total of 60,000 from them for loan repayment.  I had full intention of staying at this position indefinitely but circumstances at the hospital make that no longer an option, and I'm looking for a new position with a more stable environment.  My impression is that if I leave my job at this time, the hospital could ask back for approx 40,000$.. which is far too large of a sum for me to just write a check for...
      Anyone have any experience with hospitals that offer promissory notes for loan repayment? Trying to figure out if there is anyway to navigate this situation that won't bankrupt me.
    • By EMT2PAC
      Hello,
      I am a currently a PA student graduating in August and sitting for my boards in September, based out of FL. No prior military experience and history as a licensed Florida EMT-B, ED tech, and over 1000 clinical hours as of now and GPA of 3.4.
      I am currently applying to the Navy for direct commission (DC) withing 6 months of graduation from school and was wondering if anyone has done DC to the navy (and if so what helped you be a good candidate), life as a navy PA-C, what to expect, specialties I can expect to be able to work in, and just any general info. I have a good recruiter but you never know and I hear a lot of good and bad.
    • By ARKprePA
      Older student here. 
      Current Junior in Physiology track, 4.0 GPA. 5+ years working as civilian in clinical psych research for DOD - 2.5 years working with AD 0311s & 3 working with vets in a VA psych Dept. 
      2 questions:
      - is it too early in my college track to be contacting recruiters for info? Interested in Navy PA primarily, open to AF/Army. 
      - my spouse is active duty, E-8 (EOD) with 5 years remaining. Will being a military spouse/married to enlisted make it unlikely for me to be a competitive candidate? 
      Thanks in advance for any info. 
    • By moleashish
      So, you have been accepted to HSCP. Yay! Congrats! Go celebrate (reasonably of course). Then what to do,
      Here is what I have been learning over the course of 3 months of not getting paid. I fixed most of the issues now, so hoping to start getting paid the next pay period. 
      Step 1. Get your Military ID made, ASAP. 
      Step 2. Set up mypay account. It's a pain, however once you have your military ID, do yourself a favor and invest in a CAC card reader. You will be able to set up you mypay yourself. 
      Step 3. Update Bank info on mypay. Very Important. (For some reason PSD still hasn't gotten any info about my bank account even after 2nd submission of my paperwork). 
      Step 4. Hope and pray PSD gets these info including your BAH and start paying you.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More