Chatham Updates?

• 3 weeks later...

I looked on their website, and their accreditation is on probation. Their 5 year PANCE pass rate is 89% and they seem to have a high attrition rate. I received an interview invite and scheduled an interview there in January, but I'm not sure if I'll go. I have interviews at Pace, Salus, Hofstra, and Touro Nevada, which are more stable schools, so I'm thinking I should cancel.

FWIW, I just graduated from Chatham. I passed my boards by a reasonably comfortable margin, and I am happy with my education. I can't stand sitting in lectures all day, and the emphasis on PBL with lectures that supplement/enrich what happens in those sessions is Chatham's real selling point. You learn how to identify the gaps in your knowledge and how best to fill those gaps, and you take those skills with you in rotations and beyond.

My impression of the drama goes like this: For a couple years there, they went without official interviews. This resulted in delightfully diverse classes—for which I am really thankful—but it also deprived people of the opportunity to experience the above-mentioned PBL sessions. (A mock session is part of the interview day.) Some people discovered that they would rather have been in a more traditional setting, be it because that's their learning style or because they wanted the freedom to be on facebook another 8 hours a day. (I kid!) (sort of.) That explains a little of the attrition and a lot of the disappointment and anger that you've read about on this forum. The lack of interviews also explains the rest of the above-average attrition rate... let's just say that face-to-face interviews can help one get a sense of whether someone will be able to adapt to the PA school milieu...

As for the probation, it'll be a non-issue. I have every confidence that the rearrangement of the program's staff will have PANCE pass rates and attrition back where they belong.

(I'm not employed by Chatham or have any reason other than my good experience to promote it.)

• 2 months later...

The staff at the program are not great and will snap at you for anything. They don't have an open door policy and they threaten you with honor code and professionalism, when they themselves exhibit none. Miss Simpson or mkrummm, knows about it or is so modest as to not speak about the truth. Go somewhere else for better education and tuition. Good Luck

Archived