For Service Connected Disabled Vets...

• 1 month later...

Just sent you a message!

One of the main questions I asked deal with this:

I'm at a 40% rating and I'm in a combined program (3+2 years) with a conditional acceptance already to PA school - just have to maintain a certain GPA and complete the undergrad program as directed and I'm automatically in as a Cohort with the class I started amongst.

With an acceptance to a PA program (although currently as an undergrad) would I still be eligible to use Voc Rehab or would I (or should I) wait and use it for grad school? I am completing my 1st year right now (1 month left) using the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

*I will post the reply if only the private message is answered so everyone in the same boat gets the info.

Edited by mjjohnson1224
adding info

artyler- My counselor is supporting PA school and I'm applying this cycle. I was told, though, that VR&E will only cover application fees for the school where I ultimately matriculate. In your plan, was the entire CASPA fee covered along w/ all supp. apps? How was it drafted to include the admissions cycle? I've already had to do battle and cite the CFR to argue my case for PA school approval (I was initially told VR&E will not support grad programs), so any input is appreciated how I can approach this next phase. Thanks...

• 2 months later...

Just one small thing to add. I'm on voc rehab currently, just switched over last term. It's a good idea to use your Post 911 first (even if for one semester before you get approved for voc rehab). The BAH stipend is considerable lower with Voc Rehab then it is for post 911. If you switch over from the higher GI Bill rate, you will be grandfathered in at the same rate. The stipend for either aren't that large to begin with and if you have a family like I do, every bit counts.

This is definitely beneficial even compared to the GI Bill and I recommend making an appointment. I didn't know what it was until I spoke with ICRob and now myself and one of my classmates are now using it (or will be - just got approved).

And to add to that. I'm Pre-PA in a combined program. All of my undergrad and Masters will be covered. Depending on the disability, you could extend beyond the 48 months of benefits mark.

• 2 weeks later...
Just one small thing to add. I'm on voc rehab currently, just switched over last term. It's a good idea to use your Post 911 first (even if for one semester before you get approved for voc rehab). The BAH stipend is considerable lower with Voc Rehab then it is for post 911. If you switch over from the higher GI Bill rate, you will be grandfathered in at the same rate. The stipend for either aren't that large to begin with and if you have a family like I do, every bit counts.

You get the higher rate regardless as long as you qualify for post-9/11.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 30% service connected and used vr&e to get my certification for medical assistant. It was a great service I didn't have to worry about tuition books, they even paid for my transportation since I lived in the Bronx and my school was in Brooklyn. I probably can't use it for PA huh? Probably a one time thing. I used up my Montgomery gi on my undergraduate degree(wasn't eligible for post 9/11) I wonder if my service connected disability will hurt my chances of getting into a PA program.

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/veterans/paprograms.html

This link tells you what programs that help vets to become pas. I've heard of people using voc rehab more than once for two different degrees. For PA you must be accepted into a school before going to see the counselor. You need to bring your letter of acceptance, everything on the school such as cost, classes you will be taking, how long the program is, your transcripts, at least 10 listing for Physician Assistants jobs in that area you are going to school for new grad, va contact information of the representative of your school with their va cert number or whatever it is called. I was told by the counselor in Loma Linda, CA that I need to apply for voc rehab when I get to the area where my school is being held to make the process more efficient. In my case I will reapply for it in Philadelphia, PA and attending Drexel University in the Fall. Loma Linda canceled my appointment because I am moving.

I am 30% service connected and used vr&e to get my certification for medical assistant. It was a great service I didn't have to worry about tuition books, they even paid for my transportation since I lived in the Bronx and my school was in Brooklyn. I probably can't use it for PA huh? Probably a one time thing. I used up my Montgomery gi on my undergraduate degree(wasn't eligible for post 9/11) I wonder if my service connected disability will hurt my chances of getting into a PA program.

I think VR&E is a one shot type of thing. Their position now will be that they put you through a training program that now makes you employable so their job is done. If you had set it up as a longer term plan involving medical assistant training in order to earn HCE to ultimately become a PA then it could have been covered. I'm definitely not 100% on this so call your old counselor just to be sure.

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/veterans/paprograms.html

This link tells you what programs that help vets to become pas. I've heard of people using voc rehab more than once for two different degrees. For PA you must be accepted into a school before going to see the counselor. You need to bring your letter of acceptance, everything on the school such as cost, classes you will be taking, how long the program is, your transcripts, at least 10 listing for Physician Assistants jobs in that area you are going to school for new grad, va contact information of the representative of your school with their va cert number or whatever it is called. I was told by the counselor in Loma Linda, CA that I need to apply for voc rehab when I get to the area where my school is being held to make the process more efficient. In my case I will reapply for it in Philadelphia, PA and attending Drexel University in the Fall. Loma Linda canceled my appointment because I am moving.

I applied for voc rehab where I was living at the time and they got the ball rolling and just transferred my file to the local office when I moved for school. It was an easy process and more efficient than waiting until the last minute to apply. I guess some offices do it differently.

• 2 weeks later...
Would caution you on using Voc Rehab. You can only get it IF you have exhausted your GI Bill entirely. If you haven't you'll be denied.

Tabatha, that is false. I used 8 months of my Post 9/11 and applied for Voc Rehab and it was approved. I have 40 months remaining (from what would have been 48) within Voc Rehab as opposed to 28 months (from the Original 36) from the GI Bill.

For anyone who doesn't get Voc Rehab, something I read up on not too long ago... If you exhaust you're Post 9/11 GI Bill, and if you paid the $1200 for more benefit (for the Montgomery GI Bill), you get that $1200 back, but you must exhaust the Post 9/11 to do so.

I don't know what happens if we switch to Voc Rehab, but I don't care as much now for how much more the Chap 31 benefits cover compared to 33.

• 3 weeks later...