For Service Connected Disabled Vets...

Just wanted to put this thread up to make sure that if there are any SCDVs on this forum (w/ 20% disability or greater) that they should apply to the Vocational Rehabilitation and Education program through your regional VA VR&E representative (Google search if you aren't sure where it is). If you are in PA school or thinking of applying to PA school; it is an UNBELIEVABLE opportunity to have your entire education paid for (including tuition, fees, supplies, and a monthly stipend). I am a 1st year at Stony Brook and almost missed out on this opportunity myself. So if you meet the criteria I would highly encourage you to look into it. You have already given your blood and sweat for your country, it's time for uncle Sam to pay you back. Good Luck. If this topic has already been covered I apologize, just don't want anyone to miss out. We have to look out for our own.

Sgt. Roberts USMC (ret.)

• Upvote 2

The only time limit as far as I can see is when you can use it. According to the Va it states that,"The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the date of separation from active military service, or the date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating, which comes later".

kerryc - PA school is definitely covered, without a doubt, they have given me everything I've needed, including a printer, computer, scanner, and numerous other things. So go DO NOT hesitate to apply! If you need help, PM me, and I'll help you through it. Garret - As for as the program itself helping me get in, I don't think it had any impact, but my service and combat experience certainly helped me get accepted. It has been unbelievably helpful having VR&E, for all aspects of my education. Let me know if you need help.

JSadley, you are correct... that is the information I confirmed with my VR&E counselor. Garret - I wrote my personal statement about my experiences in combat, and related those experiences to how I became interested in a career in medicine, and more specifically, becoming a PA. Everything else, as far as my military service goes, spoke for itself on my application (MOS, military schools, rank, responsibilities, and awards).

I have just recently applied for VR&E and have yet to secure an appointment with a counselor. Anything in particular I should be knowledgable of. I was not in theatre but served as Corpsman for 5 years and sustained an injury during completion of Field Med School- Camp Johnson, NC. I have not held a position for longer than 7 months since my honorable discharge in 2007 due to being in and out of school in attempts to further my career opportunities. I now have a child and my desire to advance and attain a permanent position is at its greatest. MA salary is not sufficient for my growing family. I say all that in hopes of hearing more specific responses. I have already begun to apply to the few remaining Bachelor's PA programs but will complete my BS in Biology within the next three semesters and begin applying to the Master's programs. Please, any and all information will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Just make sure you can intelligently communicate why VR&E can help you. As long as you meet the criteria, you shouldn't have a problem getting qualified, as long as the career/education you are pursuing is one that the program feels it will be able to support you with (meaning if you haven't graduated high-school, and want to be a doctor, they cannot support you all the way through the process, but they can help you get through college, and things to that end). In other words, your goals need to be realistic, and in line with your capabilities. Other than that, you sound like a perfect candidate, and I can't see any reason why you wouldn't qualify.

Ok, so maybe stupid question - will be graduating Dec 2013 with my B.S. in Bio.. Hopefully starting PA in June/Aug 2014.. when do you apply for VR&E? Now or wait until accepted to Grad school? Is this something that can be utilized with Chap 30/Post-9/11? thank you for the info, I feel totally reversed from my usual - been there, done the research stand point

Kerryc, I am currently finishing my BS on Voc Rehab and also just got accepted to a PA school. I would advise you to get the ball rolling now, because it can be a slow process depending on your local VA and VR&E counselor. Plus the benefits for VR&E outweigh GI BILL because like stated before, you can get assistance for the GRE and application fees. The CASPA fees are pretty steep and it all adds up with individual school app fees and GRE Score fees ect. I wish you luck and hope you don't run into a brick wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

Just had my indoc and counseling appointment with the VA for my Vocational Rehab and thought I'de share my experience! Here is some pertinent info I gathered today:

1) You get 48 months TOTAL of benefits, broken up however you want between Ch 30, 33, or 31 (montgomery GI Bill, Post 9/11 Gi Bill, and Voc Rehab, GI Bills are a max of 36 months).

2) Under some new legislation, if you have even ONE day of the Post 9/11 GI Bill they will grant you the E5 BAH similar to the post 9/11 as a living stipend!! This is instead of the Voc Rehab stipend which is like $800 or so.

3) My counselor said that I could NOT get Voc. Rehab for my pre-reqs or for GRE prep and application fees... He said that PA school, among other very competitive programs, is especially difficult to get approved until you are ACCEPTED into a program.

4) If you are approved to use Voc Rehab there is NO LIMIT on how much tuition they will pay!!! They cover ALL required tuition, fees, test fees, books, and equipment... to include laptop, printer, ipad... ect!!! Post 9/11 will only pay something like $17,500 per year... though some schools are Yellow Ribbon, this is HUGE because most schools are over $30,000/year!!

In short, If you have a Service Connected disability of 20% or above this program is A MUST USE!!!! Even if you have exhausted your GI Bill you are potentially eligible for another 12 months!!!

My plan is to use my Post 9/11 to complete my pre-reqs and apply to Voc Rehab (Ch 31) once I have an acceptance letter into a PA program! Voc Rehab for me is gong to literally be worth $55,000 MINIMUM, and this on top of the GI Bill!!!

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me :-)

Go Get'em!!!

Great info. Thank you! How long did it take for you to hear from the VA after you originally applied? Did you apply through the online VONAPP system?

Thanks again, and good luck!

Hey kerryc, it didn't take long at all, maybe three weeks. And, yes, I did use the VONAPP system thought eBenefits. It was pretty easy! Like I said in my last post, I would apply once you have an acceptance letter and probably 6 weeks before your program starts.

Cheers & Good Luck!!

• 1 month later...

SGT. Roberts,

Thank you so much for the information. I am an Army vet. with 20% disability and have just been accepted to PA school starting August 2013. I have been using the Post 9/11 GI-BILL to do my pre-requisites and I have 22 months left for my benefits. I was stunned by what I read from you. I will definitely apply to VR&E. I have been receiving notifications from VA that I qualify, but doubted that it can cover PA school. Thanks to you!! Can I still apply for the VR&E even though I have used the GI-BILL?

HM2PA,

That was a very encouraging piece of info. I asked the question above to sgt. Roberts before reading your post. Quick question: I am living in Texas right now, but am accepted to a PA school in California. Does it matter where I get the VA counseling from? or should I wait till I get to California? Once again, thank you very much.

I am a second year PA student. I used Voc Rehab for my undergrad work, CASPA fees, application to PA school fees, PA tuition, books, supplies, etc.... There are some important things that are not being discussed here, and I feel it very important to bring up, it may save some serious problems for some of my disabled brothers. First (and foremost), VocRehab is not a degree program, it is a program designed to get disabled veterans "Acceptable employment." You have to show first that your disability prevents you from getting "acceptable employment," and you require vocational rehabilitation to become gainfully employed. I am proof that you can, even without any real college background, to get approved by the VA for an "Educational Goal" of getting a Masters degree to become a PA, but you have to have your ducks in a row. Why do you think the taxpayers should pay for you to go to PA school? If your answer is that my current job that I have been working at for xx years doesn't pay enough, you are shooting yourself in the foot. That answer in no way meets the requirement that your disability is keeping you from gaining "acceptable employment." Why PA? Why not RN? Why not X-Ray Tech, or another much less expensive education goal? It depends on who is doing your VocRehab evaluation, but before going in be able to show why PA is the most common sense route for you, as "acceptable employment." I was an Hospital Corpsman for 26 years, and my last NEC was that of an Independent Duty Corpsman, and the closest thing in the civilian world to that job is a PA, so for me it wasn't a big leap. My disabilities prevent me from doing manual labor or standing for long periods of time, and a PA doesn't do manual labor or have to stand for long periods (unless you go into something like surgery), so a goal of PA was acceptable because it met my physical capabilities as well as my professional experience/aptitude. Be prepared before going in to see the VocRehab counselor.

• 1 month later...