Confused... put this under other HCE or shadowing section? please help!

While volunteering at my local clinic, I both shadowed the physician but also did some volunteer work for the medical assistants. Would this go under Shadowing or other healthcare experience? Does other healthcare experience imply that it is NOT direct patient contact (whereas with shadowing I was always able to interact with the patient) and therefore it would be more beneficial to list it under shadowing experiences?

Any insight would be appreciated!

I would split the hours between Shadowing and Other HCE based on how much time you spent doing each...and yes, Other HCE implies it was not direct patient care...if you were touching patients to provide care then put those hours under Patient Care instead of Other HCE. In my opinion, the hours you spent helping the medical assistants would only count if you weren't with the person you were shadowing...if you were with the person you were shadowing I would still count it as shadowing. It's kind of your call though. Just make sure you describe each one adequately in the space provided on CASPA.

Archived