class of 2015!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats everyone! I look forward to meeting everyone in just 8months!!! I got accepted after the Sept 20th interview and still haven't received anything except the email from Audra at the beginning of October. Good to know I am not the only one, I was starting to worry. lol. I received my call from Mr. Kuemmel about my acceptance (he actually was one of my interviewers). I had to keep checking my phone call history for the NY number to make sure it was real. :)

@ TheLurg1687:

Hi Adam, I was trying to figure out the cost of living (apartments), tuition (for 1 year out-of state and 1 year of NY resident), books, travel (to school and back), equipment and supplies, health insurance, and all of the other miscellaneous fees that add up to a total cost of attending Stony Brook PA program. I know that at orientation during the interview, we were told the cost of tuition, but I live out of state and the information on cost of living and an approximate total cost would be really helpful coming from a current PA student. :) I understand that we will probably get more info later on, but I wanted to get a head start. If you have some time, I would really appreciate you help. Thank you in advance!

What is everyone planning on doing for housing? When I was there for my interview I spoke to a few of the different students and only a few of them lived on campus, did anyone come across this? The rest of the students lived off campus and lived in basements or apartments near by.

I am coming from Florida so I am curious as to what everyone else heard during there interview about living arrangements.

I was told almost none of the students lived on campus, and I personally don't think I will be either. When I leave the hospital I want to kind of have a "separation" feeling from school. I will be there plenty, don't need to be surrounded by school when I get home. lol I was also told Audra sets up a FB group in December or January to get all of the incoming class in one place so we can look for roommates and places to live, etc. I know I will be looking for a roommate at this point, otherwise rent it quite high in the area unless you get one of the basement/studio apartments. Also a lot of 1st/2nd years are in the group and advertise when they are leaving their place/let you know whats open.

If you're nervous about finding an apartment in the area being so far away (totally get your position, coming from CA) online is the best way to find places, then asking the 1 years, or 2nd years if the places you found are good, is best. It sounds scary, but it's worked out well for me so far, I've done it twice in the last few years. Otherwise, just organize a trip to NYC early 2013 and look at as many apartments as you can while there. Also a valid method.

Thanks @constantvm for all the help! I will definitely wait to hear what the current students say about there living arrangements and what they suggest. Most of the students did tell me that they lived off campus and preferred that way more. Once the facebook group starts I think a lot of these questions will be clarified and help us all out with our living arrangements and I will for sure be looking for a roommate as well. Once this group starts if you could please do me a favor and let me know because my name on facebook is spelled completely different and I would never want to miss out on that group:)

Thanks again for all the help!

Archived