"perfect job"-minimal acceptable salary

perfect job(hrs/benefits/etc...lowest salary you would take  

349 members have voted

1. 1. perfect job(hrs/benefits/etc...lowest salary you would take

• >90k

Still being in PA school my realistic contribution to this thread is questionable, but I enjoy day dreaming too. 

I would work for 55-60k/yr (maybe less) if I could be full-time medical staff on the ASP World Surfing Tour with the ability to travel solo during non-competition time around the world. I would also need health insurance and bennies and all that good stuff too. I guess some skills I would need for this gig are EM, Ortho, Tropical infectious disease(?), etc. 

Pretty much my dream job. By the way, anybody have contact information for the ASP medical staff? ;)

2015 Men’s WSL Championship Tour

Event 1: Quiksilver Pro, Gold Coast, Australia, Feb 28 – Mar 11
Event 2: Rip Curl Pro, Bells Beach, Australia, Apr 1-12
Event 3: Drug Aware Pro, Margaret River, Australia, Apr 15-26
Event 4: Rio Pro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 11-22
Event 5: Fiji Pro, Tavarua / Nomotu, Fiji, Jun 7-19
Event 6: J-Bay Open, Jeffrey’s Bay, South Africa, Jul 8-19
Event 7: Billabong Pro, Teahupoo, Tahiti, Aug 14-25
Event 8: Hurley Pro, Trestles, California, USA, Sept 9-20
Event 9: Quiksilver Pro, Landes, France, Oct 6-17
Event 10: Moche Rip Curl Pro, Peniche, Portugal, Oct 20-31
Event 11: Billabong Pipe Masters, Oahu, Hawaii, Dec 8-20

2015 Women’s WSL Championship Tour
Event 1: Roxy Pro, Gold Coast, Australia, Feb 28 – Mar 11
Event 2: Rip Curl Pro, Bells Beach, Australia, Apr 1-12
Event 3: Drug Aware Pro, Margaret River, Australia, Apr 15-26
Event 4: Rio Pro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 11-22
Event 5: Fiji Pro, Tavarua / Nomotu, Fiji, May 31 – Jun 5
Event 6: Trestles Pro, Trestles, California, USA, Sept 9-20
Event 7: Cascais Pro, Cascais, Portugal, Sep 29 – Oct 4
Event 8: Roxy Pro, Landes, France, Oct 6-17
Event 9: Maui Pro, Honolua Bay, Maui, Hawaii, Nov 22 – Dec 6

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently have the "perfect job" for me at this point. New grad. Making $50,000/yr and working 65-70 hrs per week......as a cardiology PA resident. I don't think I would take under 90K after this year though no matter where/who I'm working with unless I was working part time.

residency trained in cards? ask 125k. you will be worth it.

When I mentioned 90K to a recruiter she said that is a bit much to expect. She said for a new grad 80-85 is more reasonable. On AAPA report it does say 80-85 for a new grad. Should I even bother trying to go higher when asked during negotiations? Would that hurt my chances if I mention salary that is too high? Or is it safer to stick to 80-85K? My loan is huge (undergrad + expensive PA school) and payments will be at last $1600 a month if not more, so with 80K salary I will take maybe $1000 home per month, from which car payments and cell phone payments further reduce it to laughable amount and I won't be able to save anything :/. 

^^^^ I am aware of a new grad NP who was offered a job in FP with a guaranteed salary of $95,000 for one year, then production based after that.  You should not settle for $80-85,000 as a new grad.  What area of medicine are you applying for? 

The AAPA salary report can be helpful. However as a regional representative for my state's chapter I am painfully becoming aware of the numbers of PAs who don't belong to AAPA or the state chapter and do not fill out salary profiles.  Unfortunately they are the ones in practice for a long time, are making quite a bit more money, and their responses to these surveys could increase the salary numbers significantly.    Their response when I ask why they aren't a member of the state or national chapter?  They haven't done anything for them.  

I have my work cut out for me with my region to figure out what the PAs want.  My region is huge so it will be like herding cats.  Wish I had a magic bullet to organize everyone, have them fill out the salary profiles, and tell me what they want me to do to make practice better for all of us.  

Anyone have any suggestions?

I find it frustrating that new grads are low-balled.  

^^^^ I am aware of a new grad NP who was offered a job in FP with a guaranteed salary of $95,000 for one year, then production based after that.  You should not settle for $80-85,000 as a new grad.  What area of medicine are you applying for? 

The AAPA salary report can be helpful. However as a regional representative for my state's chapter I am painfully becoming aware of the numbers of PAs who don't belong to AAPA or the state chapter and do not fill out salary profiles.  Unfortunately they are the ones in practice for a long time, are making quite a bit more money, and their responses to these surveys could increase the salary numbers significantly.    Their response when I ask why they aren't a member of the state or national chapter?  They haven't done anything for them.  

I have my work cut out for me with my region to figure out what the PAs want.  My region is huge so it will be like herding cats.  Wish I had a magic bullet to organize everyone, have them fill out the salary profiles, and tell me what they want me to do to make practice better for all of us.  

Anyone have any suggestions?

I find it frustrating that new grads are low-balled.  

I'm a new grad NP starting a FP job in January.  I was offered $90K+ productivity bonus (70/30 split above 16-18 pts per day) + flat 3% of my salary put in 401K + 401K match up to 2% of my salary.  Benefits are 3 weeks vacation, 1 week paid CME, and my personal health insurance paid, 40 hours a week over 4.5 days, no call.

The group uses MGMA for all of their salary data, and my understanding is that it is a very widely used service that the general public doesn't even know about.  It is subscription only (or pay per report) for clinics/practices/groups/hospitals, but they offer enough free reports on their website that I was able to gather enough salary data from them to use to my advantage.  

The salary surveys seemed to be biased towards the higher earners (I suspect that those that respond tend to be those making the most). Yet at the same time, the data is often 1+ years old.  If salaries have increased 6% over the last year, then that diminishes their utility as well.   As we all know, salaries vary greatly depending on state (and even city and county), specialty, experience, etc.  The best approach is to gather as much data as you can.  In addition to MGMA data, I looked at bls.gov (that drills down to county level for salary data), Advance, some of the usual web sites, advertisements for jobs open to new grads that listed salary ranges, and I know someone 'on the inside' at large employer of PA's and NP's in my area that gave me actual salaries and experience levels of those that worked there.  I went in for the offer well-armed with what a fair salary for me should be based on the data and given my past experience, certifications, what I offered the practice, etc. -- that is the key.

• 3 weeks later...

Is 75K for a new grad a rip off in a gastro practice in one of the most expensive areas in the country (Northern Virginia)? According to AAPA it is below average (25%-ile), but that is counting the whole state, not this part of the state which is ridiculously expensive. Let's not even get into the loan payments, which we all know can get pretty bad for PAs.  The doc keeps telling me that it is comparable to anything else I will get in this area. But it is GI practice! GI is one of the highest paying specialties in medicine!

Is 75K for a new grad a rip off in a gastro practice in one of the most expensive areas in the country (Northern Virginia)? According to AAPA it is below average (25%-ile), but that is counting the whole state, not this part of the state which is ridiculously expensive. Let's not even get into the loan payments, which we all know can get pretty bad for PAs. The doc keeps telling me that it is comparable to anything else I will get in this area. But it is GI practice! GI is one of the highest paying specialties in medicine!

I'm in a specialty and started at this but I am clinic based and take no call no weekends so take that for what it's worth. I generally have clinic 8-4 and take 45-1 hr for lunch. Couple days a month I don't see patients and deal with the backend of our practice including pa, orders etc

Sent from my Nexus 7

Even as a new grad, I don't think I would take less than ~90k + great bennies for any job unless it was insanely awesome and had a schedule that allowed me to supplement my income.  The nature of the job and the need to pay back loans makes 75k seem like chump change imho.  I am willing to move to find what I'm looking for, though.

Even as a new grad, I don't think I would take less than ~90k + great bennies for any job unless it was insanely awesome and had a schedule that allowed me to supplement my income.  The nature of the job and the need to pay back loans makes 75k seem like chump change imho.  I am willing to move to find what I'm looking for, though.

And freshly graduated PAs in South Florida are jumping on 60k offers. 

• 3 years later...
On 8/9/2008 at 11:55 AM, jmj11 said:

Here's what I'm talking about. I met a Dental Hygienist in Whistler a couple of days ago. She had a great job in Vancouver, BC earning $25/ hour. She loved Whistler so much that five years ago, she came to Whistler on vacation and never went home. At first she worked waiting tables. Then she got a (rare) dental hygienist job for a few months but the dentist made life hell so she quit. Since then she's been working odd jobs in the tourism industry earning about $10/hour but loving every minute of it. She can kayak to work or mountain bike to work, and in the winter she skis to work.

So, I gave up a good salary 92k and excellent benefits to come here and (during the first year-five years ago) earn 60K/year and few benefits. I've managed to improve things since a great deal. However, all my PA friends, at the time, thought I was nuts especially when I had an offer at a headache clinic (in another boring place) for $120k/year. But I wouldn't trade my quality of life here for 200k/year somewhere else. Money just doesn't buy happiness. People like this dental hygienist reminds me that I'm not 000201C7.gif

This is the reason I’m finishing RT school then going the PA route.  I work in the corporate world - in the chemical and plastics manufacturing industry as a Buyer.  For some people, it’s enjoyable and right up their alley.  We’re all different.  I never liked it.  It just paid the bills and supported my family.  I am miserable no matter how much they pay me.

On 12/14/2014 at 10:18 AM, Guest said:

When I mentioned 90K to a recruiter she said that is a bit much to expect. She said for a new grad 80-85 is more reasonable. On AAPA report it does say 80-85 for a new grad. Should I even bother trying to go higher when asked during negotiations? Would that hurt my chances if I mention salary that is too high? Or is it safer to stick to 80-85K? My loan is huge (undergrad + expensive PA school) and payments will be at last $1600 a month if not more, so with 80K salary I will take maybe $1000 home per month, from which car payments and cell phone payments further reduce it to laughable amount and I won't be able to save anything :/. 

you are not a new grad, you are residency trained..... you slot in at bout the 5 year mark.

If an employer does not know this, and has no desire to realize this then run away.... they devalue PA's

Archived