learning how to bill

I'm a recent grad starting a job in a primary care clinic soon. In school and in rotations, I felt I only got a cursory introduction to the ins and outs of billing. Some of preceptors explained the basics, but also said "you'll learn on the job." This might be true, but I'd like to be a little more prepared than that. Anyone know of good resources to prepare me to bill correctly for the work I'll be doing in primary care? I've seen a few books on the subject; are any worth getting?

I went to an AAPA course another of years ago. It was okay. But the greatest benefit I got was the local hospital's "Physician's Billing Educator." She had a degree in coding and billing and a freakin genius. She taught me a one-on-one course. But then she was available for follow up. She would bring a stack of my charts and go over them with me one by one. I can't describe the value that was to me.

Now I was doing contract work for that hospital (this was about 5 years ago) so they had the motivation of making her (their employee) available to me. But she told me that she was available to all hospital providers but was rarely used the way I used her.

So, if you have privileges at a hospital, and they are of any size, I'm sure they have such a person. At least the one's I've worked with, love to strut their stuff. I actually just contracted with a "Physician Billing Educator" at a Seattle hospital to do all of my clinic's billings.

Archived