MEDEX or OHSU

Hey Everyone,

I have been accepted to the OHSU program and just interviewed at MEDEX and it went really well. I am trying to prepare for the hypothetical situation of choosing MEDEX or OHSU.

I liked both schools a lot but I got the impression from the students at MEDEX that the programs are very different. OHSU seems more similar to other PA programs: Academically insane, more science driven, and the students generally come in with less experience. Conversely, MEDEX came across as academically difficult but one student candidly said, "It's really not that bad, you have to work hard, but compared to other schools you dont get as killed academically and you can have more of a life outside of school. The program is more skills based because it is a competency based program, that is why you dont have to worry about biochemistry here. They care more about the skills you actually need to be a PA, its like a training program."

I would be interested to any past or current MEDEX student's thoughts. I live in Seattle and would love to stay, and as nice as it would be to have a less "insane" of a program, I ultimately dont want to cut corners and miss out on information needed to be a responsible and knowledgable PA. An example of this would be how OHSU has a cadaver anatomy lab whereas MEDEX's anatomy course is online. Was this a disadvantage MEDEX students?

Lastly, I do not know what field of medicine I would like to work. I know MEDEX advertises primary care but many graduates choose other fields...are they at a disadvantage from a clinical rotations standpoint if they do not choose primary care?

I want to make the best choice for my family and I and there are many variables and questions I have not even mentioned above. I just want some help on people's experience at MEDEX vs. what they know about OHSU.

Thanks!

I precept students from both. in my opinion medex students>>>ohsu students. also ohsu is very rn/np dominated. very few jobs for pa's on the ohsu campus. lots of np's. also WA>OR for pa legislation and acceptance....lots of medex grads work outside of primary care.

I think I have had students from every class of both. medex students have more hce. ohsu students are more "academic" which is great if you want to write a thesis but not so great if you want to take care of patients. to their credit ohsu has increased their requirement for hrs but softened the quality of the hce allowed and they now allow things like "scribe" hrs to count which is basically a mobile transcriptionist and not hands on at all. if you look at medex students they all have real, hands on, paid hce measured in thousands of hours. there are some great ohsu students who entered with prior hce and some not so great medex students who met the min requirements to get in but on the whole medex produces a better product in my opinion.

you summed it up well here:

"OHSU seems more similar to other PA programs: Academically insane, more science driven, and the students generally come in with less experience. Conversely, MEDEX came across as academically difficult but one student candidly said, "It's really not that bad, you have to work hard, but compared to other schools you dont get as killed academically and you can have more of a life outside of school. The program is more skills based because it is a competency based program, that is why you dont have to worry about biochemistry here. They care more about the skills you actually need to be a PA, its like a training program."

I've spent the past year shadowing a PA who completed his degree through MEDEX 4 years ago and he is a phenomenal practitioner. He practices with great autonomy bc of how much confidece his supervising physician has in his abilities, life experience, and diagnostic/decision-making skills. I think the key is to reflect on the pros and cons of each program and, if time permits, get into contact with one or two of the OHSU-based PAs to do some informational interviewing about their overall experience. I know OHSU, like MEDEX, also emphasizes primary care to better serve the underserved regions throughout the state of OR. I hope this helps and congratulations on your acceptance!

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I realize I am very fortunate to be in this position. I still have a week to decide (or longer if I want to pony up deposits for both). I have had the opportunity to speak with many people familiar with the MEDEX program, I am still trying to do the same for OHSU.

Thanks again!

bgdog - MEDEX hands down? Where did you go to school and what leads you to think that? I appreciate any feedback possible.

I have a 1.5 years working in a Level 2 Trauma Center/Stroke Center as an EMT or ER Tech. The past 1.5 years I have been working in a stand-alone emergency department which hasnt been nearly as stimulating as the trauma center, but still good experience. So I have 3 years of ER tech experience. Compared to everyone else at MEDEX my 3 years are definitely on the lower side.

Obviously, I haven't attended either program yet and still haven't had my OHSU interview, but I believe they are both great programs and you will be happy with either. I have been a patient of PAs from OHSU and they are outstanding, provide complete and adequate care and I have had no problems. My mom is a nurse who works with PAs in oncology from OHSU and says they stand out and shine. I have friends that attend OHSU for other programs and love them. I haven't (knowingly) had experiences with PAs from MEDEX to compare (I'm from Oregon), but I've heard the same thing, and people I know who attend UW also have great experiences with the school (although they are not in healthcare). OHSU might be more academically rigorous, but you know how to push yourself to learn and become the best clinician possible rather than just preparing for the upcoming exam. I really wouldn't worry about that aspect unless you need that structure of someone forcing you to go above and beyond, and I seriously doubt it. As far as the cadaver lab goes, I was concerned about the same thing at first but have decided that MEDEX has been training great PAs for a long time and knows what they are doing. They now have 5 classes so someone obviously thinks they know what they're doing.

If your family is in Seattle and it will be less of a hassle to move or less stress to be away from your wife, then it makes sense to go to UW. If you're more concerned about finances, the cost of living in the Portland area is a lot lower than much of Seattle so even though the tuition at OHSU is slightly higher, you might find it better financially to go with OHSU, unless your family stays in Seattle and you have to pay for both housing arrangements. Finances and location are what I would be looking at. If one doesn't stand out as so much better to you by now, then I doubt one is that much better than the other.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody brought up the first time PANCE pass rates for both schools: 99% for OHSU over the past 5 years, and 85% for MEDEX (and 75% for 2011). For me, that makes a big difference, as it is what actually makes you a PA-C...

As far as performance differences in clinical rotations between the programs, the medical director I currently work with precepts PA students from Pacific, OHSU, and MEDEX, and says hands down, the PA students from OHSU stand out and shine. Granted, he is definitely an "academic" and we are working in an outpatient clinic rather than an ED, so I can't comment on EMED's perception; just wanted to make a point that there are differing opinions out there. Bottom line, both programs clearly produce great PAs, it's just a matter of preference and what feels like a better fit for you.

pance pass rates are really more about individual students than programs. good programs have years with bad pass rates and bad programs have years with high pass rates. there is a difference between knowing academic esoteric facts on rotations(which ohsu students do) and having strong clinical skills(which medex students do). both are good programs but the applicant pool for medex certainly favors producing clinicians over medical researchers.

DISCLAIMER - I am not trying to discount the quality of PAs that comes out of MEDEX's program. They clearly produce exceptional PAs. I just wanted to give OHSU the credit it deserves, since it has seemed to take a bit of a beating on this thread.

I think that many people would agree that a high PANCE pass rate serves as an indicator of a strong PA program. Yes, it is an individual's performance that dictates those pass rates, but with a pass rate of 99.3% over the past 16 years, OHSU is doing something right.

Also, I think that it is safe to say that OHSU focuses more time on academic training than on clinical training (and vice versa for MEDEX) just strictly based on the nature of the two programs. So I would assume that MEDEX students probably have an advantage during clinical rotations in EM, surgery, and other technically focused specialties, while OHSU students probably have an edge in clinical rotations in internal med, women's health, pediatrics, etc. However, technical skills can be quickly learned; a strong academic foundation cannot be discounted. I believe a more rigorous academic training on the "how's" and "why's" will lead me to make accurate clinical diagnoses and prepare me to be the best clinician possible. If I was interested in becoming a medical researcher, I would go to medical school. And hey, knowing random esoteric facts will serve me well if I go on Jeopardy some day.

I just have to chime in with my two cents......Being the "mature" student that I am, as in over 35 : ) .....One of the greatest lessons that I have learned is recognizing and embracing that which is my own learning style. I am a hands on learner and I have tried and tried to be a classroom, read the book, and memorize the material learner for a long time, in fact, I spent most of my life doubting my own intelligence and abilities simply because I didn't know any other way. Although, I have made it work and am proud to be getting the grades that I get, I am painfully aware of the fact that my best work is not in the classroom. My point is simply that I am so happy to know there is room for all of us, and that there are programs out there that fashion themselves in ways that meet the needs of all their students.....I see the benefits of both book smarts and clinical smarts and believe 100% that you can't place any of us in a single box. How cool is it to be a part of something that offers so much diversity and allows us to work together, drawing on each others strenghts and differences in order to create 1 giant team !!!!

However, technical skills can be quickly learned.

those with prior experience have much more than "technical skills". they know the culture and language of medicine. They know how to "fit in" to any dept from day 1. they often can tell "sick" from "not sick" from the door. those things take years to get. sure, ohsu is a good program, not trying to say it isn't.

also consider that the the ohsu campus itself isn't very pa friendly. know how many pa hospitalists they have ? 1. how many in the er? zero. pa's on the trauma service? zero. they have a few on surgery and in the icu. all the jobs go to np's.....

also washington is a much better state for pa's than oregon. want to be treated well as a pa. chances are better in washington where they actually like pa's than in oregon where they merely tolerate them....(and I am licensed in both....)

That is an interesting perspective EMEDPA, if there was anything that I could change it would that "dog eat dog" and competitive nature of medicine.......That is one of the main reasons I avoided nursing school, they aren't interested in team work or patient advocacy, they are interested in being the most important, most educated and "most qualified"......it's all about them and their ego's, which in my opinion has nothing to do with collaborative, quality care for the patients. If we can't take care of each other how on earth can we take care of our patients? One of my professors has pinned on his wall....."It's not just about how far your climb, but about how many people you take with you".....I believe that with all my heart! The more qualified and capable people we have out there, working togeher to make health care more accesible to everyone everywhere, the better off we ALL will be!

It may sound like I am ranting and I am not, I have just seen so many taletned and caring people beaten down by the system that it makes me sad.

".....I believe that with all my heart! The more qualified and capable people we have out there, working togeher to make health care more accesible to everyone everywhere, the better off we ALL will be!It may sound like I am ranting and I am not, I have just seen so many taletned and caring people beaten down by the system that it makes me sad.

Keep hope alive.

As a MEDEX student, I have been quite concerned about their past PANCE pass rates, questioning if I am being adequately prepared to sit for it. In my discussion with faculty, one of the main points they drive home is that in the recent years, the E-PACKRAT scores have been on par with all the top scoring universities at the end of the first year. MEDEX is seeing a falling off of PACKRAT at the second exam, demonstrating that their students haven't been staying on top of the book work as well as they should be. Which is not really surprising, being how most of us are like earlier posters..not super "into" the classroom/book memorizing thing.

In light of the falling scores, MEDEX has re worked their clinical year with blueprint exams, board review questions, and overall a much higher supervision/expectation of their clinical students. When I asked MEDEX how much have they re worked/organized their clinical year based on a 0-100 scale, "75%" was the answer given.

They have also reported that if this re working of the clinical year does not improve first time pass rates, they plan to start weighting the GRE. Which, as a bachelor student, I find amusing. They have already added 15 more science credits to their pre reqs.

So yes, Medex has suffered a dip in the numbers. However, they are constantly re assessing, re adjusting, re structuring their program to meet the needs of the profession and the student.

All that said, I wouldn't mind hanging out with some OHSU students for awhile to see how their program works. I get the impression it's more of a supervised/proctored situation vs. the "self study program" that I feel Medex is.

MEDEX is seeing a falling off of PACKRAT at the second exam, demonstrating that their students haven't been staying on top of the book work as well as they should be. Which is not really surprising, being how most of us are like earlier posters..not super "into" the classroom/book memorizing thing.

Do you think another contributor could be that the rotations are in so many different locations all over the northwest, making it difficult to bring students back to the classroom during the clinical year to review? I know some programs just excuse students from clinical rotations for a day or two to bring them back to the classroom, but that would be impossible with students in states so far away. Also, I read on here that the students are all passing the second time around. Is that what you have seen as well?

That's a good point sartort! I wonder if they need to do a bit more "checking in" during the clinical rotation, i.e. more examinations and review of PANCE specific questions from afar as well as in the classroom. I for one am not a good test taker and my GPA reflects that, I am an excellent student, am eager to learn and I love shcool, but I am much stronger in the lab and with anytype of hands on work, while I strive to do my best work and want to master both ends of the spectrum, I am eternally grateful that the general culture of PA school and practice isn't all about being a 4.0 student.

Archived