Interviews 2012

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! =) Are interviews granted based mainly on the supplemental application GPA that is calculated? Would you all mind sharing some insight about your statistics? GPA/HCE hours/state of residence/anything you think that put you in an ideal spot?

Thanks and I look forward to the info!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It can happen but begin working on improving your application for the next cycle(classes, HCE, etc.). Don't wait to find out whether or not you're getting an interview.

I definitely have to agree with Chris on this. The early they get your application the better off you are just by the nature of rolling admissions. I had this same problem when my first set of transcripts were lost, and the second set to tech was lost in the bureaucracy for a time. It seems that they rely more of what grades are in the supplemental application rather than CASPA. I know in my case they wouldn't forward my application until the transcripts from each individual school was given to them. By that time it was pretty late in the process even though the issue wasn't due to me. That is just the nature of rolling admissions. The next year I applied I flew to Lubbock and hand delivered sealed envelopes to them and had zero problems, then my application was forwarded to the program by the end of July. I don't tell this story to put Tech down, because a small percent will fall through the cracks with admissions anywhere. I think it is important to show what a difference time makes in getting your application in before they pick most of the class via rolling admissions.

Just like poker it is always better to stack the odds in your favor. Early in the process it is always better to be bidding on 60 seats, rather than bidding on anything less down the road.

The next year I applied I flew to Lubbock and hand delivered sealed envelopes to them and had zero problems, then my application was forwarded to the program by the end of July.

Hi NeoTrion, I'm kind of confused by your post. Isn't everything sent though CASPA? Do they need transcripts sent directly to the program as well?

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! =) Are interviews granted based mainly on the supplemental application GPA that is calculated? Would you all mind sharing some insight about your statistics? GPA/HCE hours/state of residence/anything you think that put you in an ideal spot?

Thanks and I look forward to the info!

Interviews and acceptances are granted based on a variety of factors. Using our class as an example, there are folks straight out of undergrad with no HCE at all and there some with 10+ years and everything in between. I believe they said our average cGPA was 3.8. You need to know what your app's strengths are and maximize them to outweigh any weak areas. Get more HCE and do well on the GRE if your GPA isn't the best. If your GPA is outstanding then you may not need a lot of paid HCE and can make do with volunteering/shadowing/extracurriculars/personality.

From the FAQ:

3. How does my GPA impact the selection process?It is important because we believe it is an objective demonstration of the applicant’s ability to perform academically. For the TTUHSC PA program selection process, the qualifying GPA is calculated on the required prerequisite grades. The science GPA is considered twice—once by itself and again in the cumulative GPA. Applicants should be aware that all academic performance reported to CASPA will be reviewed and considered as a part of the evaluation process. Applicants should realize their entire academic transcript is reviewed.

sdave6, I had to send my in separately as well. CASPA wanted a copy and the school wanted their own copy as well before they would forward my application.

Chris is right. You are just trying to tip the scales in your favor. That is why I mentioned getting your application in as early as possible.

I've been reading through the threads and haven't found anyone else in my situation-- I finished my application in August, it was verified by the first week of September. Didn't receive and invite for an interview until the first week of November and the interview isn't until January 15th! Since Tech does rolling admissions, I'm fairly certain the majority of the slots are already filled. Does anyone have any input as to why I was given an interview so far away? I was (and still am) working on my last 6 credits of prereqs. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

GPA: 3.82

Science GPA: 3.65

4.5 years Medic in USAF.

LPN/EMT licensed.

@alymurt. I too am in your situation. I was not sure about applying this year since it was so late, (late october, not verified until Nov.)but gave it a chance and have interview Jan 29. I was worried at first too about the rolling admissions but going to put that out of my mind and just go into it with a positive approach. I do know that many students have come from the alternate position as well. Good luck to you.. It also looks like they started interviews later this year and with the holidays there will be many weeks that none will be held. :)

Honestly I have no idea. But jlheat was exactly right about starting interviews later this year. I know last year I know they started in October, and perhaps sooner. This yeah they did not get started until November. All you can do is be patient. You did the right thing about giving them a call to make sure they did get your application. But now you are just going to have to play the waiting game. When did you turn in your application?

Yep--a lot of students end up being from the wait list because of the school's location(which some see as a positive but many see as a negative). Aly, CASPA apps start getting mailed in June so yours was verified at about the half way point in the cycle for most schools. The apps are going to be reviewed in the order that they're received so you probably had quite a few ahead of yours. Additionally, Tech underwent reaccreditation a couple weeks ago so interviews started later this year to accomodate that process and there were fewer sessions held in the fall. Don't sweat a January date. I think quite a few, or even the majority, of our class was from later interview dates.

Thanks for the responses guys. Does anyone know when those on the alternate list would be notified of their selection? If the interviews go 'til March I'm thinking you could potentially still be in limbo until April. :/

You may be in limbo until May but I hope not because finding housing is a huge pain.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived