Most valued position to acquire HCE: MA, EMT, Paramedic, other?

Hi there, so I've almost completed my B.S and pre-requisites to apply to PA programs in the next round and I'm hoping to get more hands-on patient experience.

I was considering applying to a certification program for a medical assistant with phlebotomy, but reconsidered as EMT or paramedic seemed to be quite exciting (I think I'd like that 'rush').

I can't decide what would give my the most experience and valued patient care: medical assisting, EMT, paramedic (though it's a long program), or perhaps another short-term field. I was a volunteer as a medical assistant which was great except for the insurance verification, phone scheduling, paperwork, etc.

Anyone have experiences they would like to share?

Pick a field that includes

1. comprehensive patient interviewing,

2. triaging of medical priority (of a patient with multiple chief complaints) based on acuity with funding and level of patient compliance.

3. Challenges you to recall disease pathophysiology

4. Demands frequent research into proper pharmacology

5. Has a strong leadership AND teamwork component

6. Educates you in basic laboratory sciences

7. Allows for skill development in everything from physical exams to airway management to venous access to splinting, casting, dressing applications

there are more but that is a good starting point.

2. triaging of medical priority (of a patient with multiple chief complaints) based on acuity with funding and level of patient compliance.

7. Allows for skill development in everything from physical exams to airway management to venous access to splinting, casting, dressing applications

But that's a Physician Assistant! (where I'm heading). ;)

so emt-p, rn, military medic/corpsman or rt then.....:)

I'd probably go with whatever will get your a paying position that you will enjoy. EMT's, especially ED techs in many states, do a lot of what was listed above, but at the same time don't get paid much and in some areas it is pretty competitive to get a job. I got my paid HCE as an EMT (ED Tech), but I also had a smattering of volunteer experience and a good in at an ER before I made the full jump to medicine. Thus, YMMV.

My job as an ED tech has given me some exceptional experience and I would love my replacement when I head to PA school to be someone that wants to continue further in healthcare. The ED tech experience varies from hospital to hospital and I got lucky that I was hired in a place where team isn't just a buzzword. So if you want to head this route, ask lots of questions during the interview and find out if it will be a place where you can learn or where you will simply be a semi-glorified gurney pusher.

The short story, take a look at the job market and see what kind of job you can get with little to no experience that will allow you to build good HCE and do that.

Also, I wouldn't go the EMT-P route unless you really want to just get your paramedic. Becoming a medic is great knowledge and experience. However, you don't need to go that far when the EMT will give you the knowledge and skills to bridge you to PA school with no trouble. Remember, good BLS before bad ALS.

Checko

I'd probably go with whatever will get your a paying position that you will enjoy. EMT's, especially ED techs in many states, do a lot of what was listed above, but at the same time don't get paid much and in some areas it is pretty competitive to get a job. I got my paid HCE as an EMT (ED Tech), but I also had a smattering of volunteer experience and a good in at an ER before I made the full jump to medicine. Thus, YMMV.

My job as an ED tech has given me some exceptional experience and I would love my replacement when I head to PA school to be someone that wants to continue further in healthcare. The ED tech experience varies from hospital to hospital and I got lucky that I was hired in a place where team isn't just a buzzword. So if you want to head this route, ask lots of questions during the interview and find out if it will be a place where you can learn or where you will simply be a semi-glorified gurney pusher.

The short story, take a look at the job market and see what kind of job you can get with little to no experience that will allow you to build good HCE and do that.

Also, I wouldn't go the EMT-P route unless you really want to just get your paramedic. Becoming a medic is great knowledge and experience. However, you don't need to go that far when the EMT will give you the knowledge and skills to bridge you to PA school with no trouble. Remember, good BLS before bad ALS.

Checko

Thank you. I was looking at the local job market for EMTs and it's pretty slim, even though that's what I've been eying. Surgical tech as well, however the training is pretty extensive and competitive. I may consider getting a certification in medical assisting with a phlebotomy cert.

Just pointing out that a year is not a long time to be certified AND practice doing anything.. If you truly have one year, EMT-P is pretty much out of the question, though personally I think that would be the best experience (I was an EMT). At least at my station, you had to be an EMT for a considerable period of time before starting EMT-P.. You should not have the impression that you can just sign up for a class and then you'll be ready to hit the streets and treat people, even as an EMT. It takes time, practice and mentorship to be able to treat people in any capacity. If you're trying to apply next year and currently have no HCE (which I do not recommend), then I would go with MA because that's the fastest. Personally, I think you should take a year off between undergrad and applying, which would give you almost 2 years to become certified and work. You will 1) be a much more competitive applicant, and 2). find out if you ACTUALLY LIKE MEDICINE...

Maybe I take it more personally because I worked at an EMS fire station, but to me it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about if you put MA, EMT, and EMT-P all in the same pot of things that you're considering doing 'just for a while, before you get into school.' Paramedics are the first line between a patient and serious injury and death (and EMTs too if you're first on the scene). I think that job deserve more respect than you're giving it.

Life as an ER Tech is great, I highly recommend it. However, check out the job situation, it's very regional dependent. Some areas it is the entry level job and easy to get on, especially in rural areas. Where I work, we've been interviewing EMT-P's with many years of experience for the positions that open up, so it's a very coveted position.

Good luck!

Archived