I was "let go" last wednesday.

At noon last Wednesday my SP comes in all smiley and says that the practice can't support me and I am being let go as of today. I have been a PA for 26 years and during this time owned my own practice in NYC for many years. No severence or notice. Luckily for me I am financially stable with little monthly overhead. It was a surprise and feel now that I will now look at being a patient advocate and no longer practice medicine but consult with patients to help them understand their medicines, tests, results of those tests, and answer the questions they should have asked but didn't. I will charge by the hour and remain independent with no ties to corporate medicine or any insurance company. Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated. Any one want join me on this new venture? I have owned 5 businesses prior to being a PA and all were successful. Thanks, Tom

At noon last Wednesday my SP comes in all smiley and says that the practice can't support me and I am being let go as of today. I have been a PA for 26 years and during this time owned my own practice in NYC for many years. No severence or notice. Luckily for me I am financially stable with little monthly overhead. It was a surprise and feel now that I will now look at being a patient advocate and no longer practice medicine but consult with patients to help them understand their medicines, tests, results of those tests, and answer the questions they should have asked but didn't. I will charge by the hour and remain independent with no ties to corporate medicine or any insurance company. Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated. Any one want join me on this new venture? I have owned 5 businesses prior to being a PA and all were successful. Thanks, Tom

Why would they let you go? I mean, PAs more than make up for their cost.

I've had many thoughts about being a patient advocate for headaches disorders for cash as I'm tired of insurance companies. I was thinking about doing that as part of my business now on a nation-wide area. Good luck and keep us informed of how it goes. Maybe blog on the adventure.

Hey, I feel your pain. I wonder just how many of us 25+ year PAs are in a similar situation? We Old Guys are high priced talent and cost a pretty penny to employ, even though we do big in the cash. Being let go w/o any notice is just plain disrespectful and smacks of the kind of place I wouldn't like to work for in the first place. Fighting to keep a job with this doctor is wasted and misplaced effort. Just my .02 worth

What are your thoughts on the PA job market in NYC? I'll be graduating in less than 1 year from now and would love to stay in NYC if possible. Any words of wisdom?

yes. Run in the other direction. I live & work in NYC. You'll get a job no problem. butttttttttt....

(A) you make significantly less than the rest of the country. My base is 85K and I work nights, primarily because it enables me to see sickies and not fight the residents. I was at ACEP this year. No short of 3 recruiters laughed at my salary.

(B) nursing sucks in NYC. 1199 is your enemy unless, of course, you suck at your job and youre the weak link. Then you love 1199. Try getting a nurse to put in an NG tube or a rectal temp.

© youre easily replaceable as your in the state with the most amount of PA schools, not to mention the NJ & CT grads that want to try their hand at NYC.

(D) the patient population in NYC sucks. Theyre demanding and usually thankless. And while the total body dolor patients are annoying, I'd take them any day over the patients that go to plastic surgeons. And I didnt mention even mention the methadone population. I like what Elmhurst does- one family member allowed in the exam room- the one that speaks english. everyone else, to the waiting area.

Now, if you want to run around Manhattan and just have fun for a few years, as a new grad I think the best deal is at heme-onc at NYP, they get paid quite well and work like 10 shifts a month. Or HSS, though thats a bit more difficult to get into.

Move to Texas or Florida and visit NYC.

yes. Run in the other direction. I live & work in NYC. You'll get a job no problem. butttttttttt....

(A) you make significantly less than the rest of the country. My base is 85K and I work nights, primarily because it enables me to see sickies and not fight the residents. I was at ACEP this year. No short of 3 recruiters laughed at my salary.

(B) nursing sucks in NYC. 1199 is your enemy unless, of course, you suck at your job and youre the weak link. Then you love 1199. Try getting a nurse to put in an NG tube or a rectal temp.

© youre easily replaceable as your in the state with the most amount of PA schools, not to mention the NJ & CT grads that want to try their hand at NYC.

(D) the patient population in NYC sucks. Theyre demanding and usually thankless. And while the total body dolor patients are annoying, I'd take them any day over the patients that go to plastic surgeons. And I didnt mention even mention the methadone population. I like what Elmhurst does- one family member allowed in the exam room- the one that speaks english. everyone else, to the waiting area.

Now, if you want to run around Manhattan and just have fun for a few years, as a new grad I think the best deal is at heme-onc at NYP, they get paid quite well and work like 10 shifts a month. Or HSS, though thats a bit more difficult to get into.

Move to Texas or Florida and visit NYC.

Totally agree, NYC sucks for PA practice, ok for newbees for learning due to diverse population buuuuttttttttt plenty of *&****** out to tarnish ones carreer.

Why don't you come on down to beautiful North Carolina? Our state is where PA's were born and our State Medical Society loves their PA's. We can always use a good experienced PA down here. Beautiful state with the coast on one side and skiing on the other with golf in the middle.

Why don't you come on down to beautiful North Carolina? Our state is where PA's were born and our State Medical Society loves their PA's. We can always use a good experienced PA down here. Beautiful state with the coast on one side and skiing on the other with golf in the middle.

Good suggestion Mr. Bob. A lot of "Silver Haired" PA's are often home owners and are grandparents which complicates to jump to greener pastures, but if free and unencumbered this is a very viable option.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom, I am so sorry this happened to you. When I hear stories like this I'm amazed at how disrespectful some employers are to their staff. Just thought I'd write and suggest working as a locums PA until you get your business up and running. With your experience you won't have any trouble getting positions. Good luck! Susan

Archived