Surgical Technologist HCE

Has anyone ever known a surgical tech to use their experience was HCE and make the jump to PA school?

I'm interested in both the ER and surgery, currently I have my EMT license and would like to pick up an additional certification, either as a paramedic or a surgical technologist. I feel like depending on the overall field I'd like to spend most of my time as, one of this could benefit me more.

Also, for those PA's who didn't come in with surgical experience, who did you get into that specialty?

Thanks guys!!!

Yes, I know surgical techs who used that experience. I know a TON more paramedics who did as well. PA school is often called the "paramedic retirement program".

I did both...I use the skills I developed as a medic a lot more but the surgical background does come in handy by helping me appear relaxed when doing excisions, suturing, rotating in the OR.

What kind of PA are you, are you a surgical PA?

Also, how to PA's merge over from other fields into surgery? I know I would like to do surgery at one point.

Overall, I should go medic? I'm 22 finishing up my bachelors in Health Science, I got my EMT already, and now after graduating I want to decide which path to take to help me gain experience. I want my experience to land me a better job, like in the ER, because I have experience. I'm a big people person!

I am still a student. You can do surgical rotations in school, maybe take another as an elective. Build a resume of procedures that you have worked on as a student. Network, try to do rotations near where you want to live and get known to the local surgeons. Short of that, just apply. There is no special hoop that you have to jump through yet.

Should you go medic...no.

You should do something in the healthcare field that puts your hands on patients everyday, all day. Whatever this something is, be passionate about it. Could be medic or not. Medic is not the only way. My time as a navy corpsman was far more helpful to me in PA school. I have RNs in my class doing quite well...and CT techs, Derm techs, ER techs, sleep study tech... Suck the most experience out if it. Do it for a few years, find a life partner, maybe some offspring, buy a house or two, then go to PA school.

Or do what I should done when I was 22....go to med school and be whatever the heck you want to be. You like the OR and ER? Trauma Surgeon is a title that would fit you well. Do the spouse kid thing when you are 30, successful and stable.

Archived