Need help to pass boards

Passing boards is only the first step. You must find out if you are eligible for licensure in your state.

At minimum I would suggest a formal PANCE review course.

I too graduated in 2000 and have been practicing since then. Hypertension has changed. Diabetes criteria has changed. Hell, when we were in school it was de rigeur to put post menopausal women on HRT for cardiovascular PREVENTION, then the results of WHI turned all that on its head in 2001 and told us we were doing everything wrong.

My point is, if you have not been practicing, you'd better start at the beginning.

Not to pour water on your fire, but the other issue will be getting a job after PANCE. There will be concerns about someone who graduated 12 yrs ago.

If this is a legitimate post and not a troll, I suggest attending a full board review course as Lisa says.

The 5 day cmeresources.com class from Chicago is popular with good reviews.

http://www.cmeresources.com/5DayPANCEPANRE2012.aspx

This is what I found on the NCCPA website:

Individuals who have never been certified and who graduated from an ARC-PA accredited physician assistant program on or after January 1, 2003, will be eligible to take PANCE for up to six years after completing the requirements for graduation from that program. During that six-year period, the examination may be taken a maximum of six times. When either the six attempts or six years is exhausted, whichever occurs sooner, the individual loses eligibility to take PANCE. The only way to establish new eligibility to take PANCE is to enter into and complete an unabridged ARC-PA accredited physician assistant educational program.

Since the OP graduated in 2000 apparently they are still, amazingly, allowed to take the PANCE. I wonder why the NCCPA chose to cut off eligibility as of 2003. That doesn't make any sense, you would think that the further away the date of graduation becomes the more strict they would be about requiring re-entry to PA School.

Regardless, andersen is right. Finding someone that is willing to hire you is the challenge.

FWIW, check the Emory PA Program. They sell DVD's of their yearly week long PANCE review course. I think they are about $300. http://www.emorypa.org/pa_board_review.htm

Since the OP graduated in 2000 apparently they are still, amazingly, allowed to take the PANCE. I wonder why the NCCPA chose to cut off eligibility as of 2003. That doesn't make any sense, you would think that the further away the date of graduation becomes the more strict they would be about requiring re-entry to PA School.

The policy was probably put in place in 2003, with all prior grads being grandfathered in to the old policy.

Regardless, andersen is right. Finding someone that is willing to hire you is the challenge.

depends...I think passing pance is the big hurdle. anyone with a cert can get a job ( prison, wt. loss clinic, minute clinic, rural alaska, etc) if they are willing to relocate. there are some places which just want an nccpa cert and a pulse.

depends...I think passing pance is the big hurdle. anyone with a cert can get a job ( prison, wt. loss clinic, minute clinic, rural alaska, etc) if they are willing to relocate. there are some places which just want an nccpa cert and a pulse.

Good point. Sometimes I forget about those as options. I'm sure they would be interested.

I recently worked with a PA that finished school 5.5 years ago but only recently passed the PANCE. When she applied for her license, the State Board saw the length of time between graduation and certification and required 500(!) hours of direct physician supervision before they would grant her full licensure. She did not yet have a job, so when she was applying she had to tell potential employers about the supervision requirement. That turned out to be a huge 'turn-off' for nearly everyone she interviewed with, including rural clinics. She is grateful to her current office for taking on that extra burden.

My question is this: would the OP face a similar situation? Or is that State specific?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the suggestions. Due to some personal issues and family problems could not take the boards. Had to relocate out of the country for 7 years. Just moved back and would like to give it a try. Have huge financial constraints at the moment with two minor kids. Am also a certified rad tech. Any kind of encouragement and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Archived