Help: Don't feel like I'm going to prepared for clinical rotations

Hi guys

I'm currently a student in the second to last semester of my didactic year and feel like I have barely retained anything. I've heard that PA school is like "drinking from a fire hydrant" and completely agree, but I'm worried that I won't have a strong enough knowledge base for when it comes to rotations to really make them worth while. I've tried very hard to retain what I feel like is important and haven't been really focused on what I get for grades (getting a B or high C doesn't upset me like some other students in my class), but its hard enough staying remotely on top of the material we are currently learning that it makes it really difficult to set aside any serious amount of time to re-learn all of the basic material we had last year. I think part of my problem is that I am really uncertain of what clinicals will even be like and I know I shouldn't really be letting this get into my head, but I'd rather get a jump on this now and fix the problem while I still have time (I get a month off for X-mas vacation that I'm really going to hit the books hard during). So does anyone have tips or techniques they used to keep the old material fresh in their head while still staying on top of current material? I'm not concerned about acing exams or being able to answer every single my preceptors ask, I just want to make sure I get as much out of clinicals as I can and would like to be a solid PA afterwards (which I'm sure almost everyone here wants). Thanks!

I guess it is a bit late for the answer of "previous direct patient care experience".

Have candid conversations with your class/clinical advisor and placement team. They have the best idea of where u really are and work to place you with a well matched preceptor.

most everyone feels overwhelmed. Breathe and relax. You still have one and a half semesters to go. That is darn near half a year.

• Administrator
I guess it is a bit late for the answer of "previous direct patient care experience".

No it's not. That's what makes PA school possible--drinking from that firehose effectively requires a framework on which to graft the physiology, pharmacology, etc. That framework is your prior patient care experience. That is what you fall back on when you've got all of everything jumbled in your head. It's what keeps you sane, keeps you oriented, and keeps you humble enough to ask for help when or say "I don't know, can you help me?" when you need to, and pull the right answer out of the depth of that jumble when being pimped, and with enough discretion to know the difference.

For those of you who don't have an effective HCE background, I have no idea how you think you can do it.

I'm no expert, just 2 weeks into clinical year. But what I've been trying to do is 100+ questions a week out of the NCCPA book, Exam Master or some other source. Then I make flash cards on what I think are the most important points of the questions that I miss. I think that over time this will give a decent general review. This goes along with the more specific reading of what I'm seeing in clinic, but for you would be what you're covering in class. If you don't have time to do 100 questions, do 40 or 50 a week, it will still refresh that memory.

Throughout my program we had cumulative finals at the end of every semester that covered all of the clin med material. In addition, before we were allowed to matriculate onto rotations, we had to pass a cumulative exam which covered everything we had covered throughout the program. If students didn't pass they had to stay behind and remediate those subjects in which they performed poorly on. We also had to take another summative exam before graduation. Does your program offer a cumulative exam before rotations? If so, my guess is that if you can pass it you probably are more ready than you think you are.

Flash cards each disease. See the objective list the NCCPA has for the PANCE. each disease know 1 sentance description, eitology, signs/physical findings, labs/diagnostics, treatment, etc....

While you can get pocket books for each rotation, I found making my own flashcards greatly improved my retention.

Do either of you have any tips on what worked for you in terms of keeping old material fresh in your head while studying the new stuff? Thanks!

I am fortunate to have a very patient, even temperment, seasoned preceptor. She turned me loose and let me go at my pace. She has the personality that makes you want to do well so that you don't disappoint her. This helps me engage my brain and focus. Biggest thing on rotations is DON'T CHASE ZEBRAS!!!

And don't be afraid to make mistakes. This is why you are given a preceptor.

Sure you want to get it right instantly, every time so you throw every differential into the mix but sometimes a cold is just a cold. You can work yourself into a frenzy pouring over studies and trying to understand every obscure disease but in the end, in family practice, it rarely is a zebra. So by using the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid) I can relax and let what I know just flow, which frees my energy up to learn the harder stuff.

All that aside...I spent over 20 years working in medicine doing direct pt care before PA school. That REALLY helps a ton so what works for me may not work for you.

Do either of you have any tips on what worked for you in terms of keeping old material fresh in your head while studying the new stuff? Thanks!

My study partner and I worked it out this way ... once we knew it, we knew it. It'll be there when you need it, so that frees you up from the 'easy' to concentrate on the more complicated concepts that prove more difficult for you. As for my own studying, I had one rule ... know all of it. If you try and know the answer for any question they can possibly ask you, you are one step ahead of the game. Best best of luck.

Have candid conversations with your class/clinical advisor and placement team. They have the best idea of where u really are and work to place you with a well matched preceptor.

most everyone feels overwhelmed. Breathe and relax. You still have one and a half semesters to go. That is darn near half a year.

Did the OP mention NOT having prior HCE? Maybe I missed something.

Did the OP mention NOT having prior HCE? Maybe I missed something.

nope, I am making assumptions. Maybe Rev is correct, maybe they do.

Maybe my assumption is wrong and they can rely on their past experience. If so, great! Then their current panic this far out is a bit misplaced and they just need to follow my advice of breathe and relax. Or they could still talk to the faculty who are truly in place with the mission to help them succeed in school. They are at the best vantage point to really evaluate how this student is doing and what assistance is needed/can be rendered.

It is not like I just ridiculed them for jumping into PA school too early and was malicious about it. I actually gave what I feel is solid advice...go talk to the people who can really help them.

that answer your question?

Reading this, I thought you were in my class... Like RevRonin - I have no clue how some of my classmates with less HCE are doing it. I'm way in over my head with thousands of hours of patient care... I'm hoping that come April I'll have learned all I possibly could and be able to really apply concepts in order to make them concrete then... there's no way I can know every single possible answer like a previous poster said, it's just WAY TOO MUCH. Our faculty even says it's impossible. What I do know is that many PA students feel this way, and they turn out to be perfectly competent graduate PAs at the end of it all... crossing my fingers!

... there's no way I can know every single possible answer like a previous poster said, it's just WAY TOO MUCH.

I didn't say to know every single possible answer ... I said to TRY to. Know the answers to absolutely as much as you can. Rapidfire question your study partner. Rapidfire question yourself. Don't stop. You can do it!

Hi, I'm about to start my fourth rotation. I think you know more than you think you do. I know I didn't read as much as I wanted to didactic year (have a family and read when I could). I remember a lot of things that were pounded into our heads, but I also have time to read about my patients on Up to Date and other sources since I'm not in class all day or studying for the next test all the time. Relax and trust the process, surely you'll have preceptors that pimp you and make you challenge yourself with broader differentials....gonna be fine, work hard and learn about your patients. Putting a face with a diagnosis really helps.

best

Archived