Any chance?

Hi,

I am active duty AirForce (E-3) and am a 3a353 (crewcheif). I have been in 2 years now and recently just heard of the PA program and became extremely excited to hear about it. Education history, I have an associates in business, switched majors for my bachelor's to Dietetics and Nutrition Exercise and Health Science. I never finished that degree and found myself joining the military instead. As far as pre-reqs, all I need is A&P and BIO with labs. After reading through these forums though my excitement started to twindle due to the fact that I feel my chances of getting accepted are very low, especially due to the fact I am not even in a medical career field. My questions are, is this a route I should pursue? do I stand a chance? would I be better off cross training to medical? or better off as a civilian and use my GI bill? thanks for any advice or input.

-Keith

First, I'm going to assume you are a 2A353 and not a 3A, right? Second, have you talked to a PA at your duty station yet?

Your next step should be to go to this site on a govt computer with your CAC: https://kx.afms.mil/afbsceducation.

Once you thoroughly review this site, feel free to find the IPAP Facebook group and clear up any questions left unanswered by the FAQ.

Finally, I was once (a long time ago) a 2A353A (Old F-15 crew chief shred). But for the past 14 years I have been a 1A171 (Flight Engineer). I was just recently accepted to the program and start in December. Nine out of 21 of us selected this year were from non-medical career fields. I wouldn't worry about your current job as much as your math and science GPA, your SAT scores and your letters of recommendation.

Once you have followed my advice above and you still have questions, PM me your official email and we can talk over govt email.

Good luck!

LOVIN IT

2a355a from 1994-1998 - F-15E models at Elmendorf

look into the IPAP program but you have the GI bill so that will help anywhere you go

I signed up to be a self aide and buddy care instructor and BASH member to chase the geese off the airfield on the midlnight shift (yeah no geese overnight..) so I could go to school. I ended up getting an MBA after seperating and then applied to PA school and got in first try - not easy but worked

also, be aware that there are programs that accepting grants to get military folks to be PA's

where there is a will there is a way and it is a great career field!

Jeff, small world isn't it? I worked E's and C's as an R&R troop at Lakenheath (1995-1997) and Nellis (1997-1999).

Great advice on the civilian route. I too volunteered to be a SABC instructor and a few other folks I know that made it into IPAP were pharmacy volunteers too. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities at the local base clinic to help "pad" an IPAP application.

I would say that a non-medical troop in the AF, especially if they are young (multiple chances to apply), has a better shot of making it into IPAP than a comparable civilian school. I looked pretty hard at my options and found that I could make up for my lack of medical experience with my extensive leadership experience when applying for IPAP. I felt like my lack of medical experience would have been a hinderance when applying for a civilian school.

I would encourage any and all qualified enlisted applicants to apply for IPAP. There has been a lack of qualified enlisted applicants in the past couple years. As a result, they have opened up the program to Air Force commissioned officers.

Thanks for the replies and advice! Yes, I'm sorry 2A353 and working on E's on the line here at Lakenheath (first duty station). I have contacted the local PA and have been talking via email. He has been on leave, but once he returns, we planned on meeting face to face for questions as well as setting up appointments for shadowing.

LOVIN IT

2a355a from 1994-1998 - F-15E models at Elmendorf

look into the IPAP program but you have the GI bill so that will help anywhere you go

I signed up to be a self aide and buddy care instructor and BASH member to chase the geese off the airfield on the midlnight shift (yeah no geese overnight..) so I could go to school. I ended up getting an MBA after seperating and then applied to PA school and got in first try - not easy but worked

also, be aware that there are programs that accepting grants to get military folks to be PA's

where there is a will there is a way and it is a great career field!

Im sorry, but where/how would I apply for BASH or self aid buddy care? is that on the portal/AMS? kind of like a special duty? Thanks

Jeff, small world isn't it? I worked E's and C's as an R&R troop at Lakenheath (1995-1997) and Nellis (1997-1999).

Great advice on the civilian route. I too volunteered to be a SABC instructor and a few other folks I know that made it into IPAP were pharmacy volunteers too. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities at the local base clinic to help "pad" an IPAP application.

I would say that a non-medical troop in the AF, especially if they are young (multiple chances to apply), has a better shot of making it into IPAP than a comparable civilian school. I looked pretty hard at my options and found that I could make up for my lack of medical experience with my extensive leadership experience when applying for IPAP. I felt like my lack of medical experience would have been a hinderance when applying for a civilian school.

I would encourage any and all qualified enlisted applicants to apply for IPAP. There has been a lack of qualified enlisted applicants in the past couple years. As a result, they have opened up the program to Air Force commissioned officers.

FYI, they have only opened it up to USAF Academy students. The program is still designed for enlisted. However, the number of applicants have taken a dramatic decline. I was amazed at seeing the number of applicants for this last board (43 applicants and only 21 were accepted).

FYI, they have only opened it up to USAF Academy students. The program is still designed for enlisted. However, the number of applicants have taken a dramatic decline. I was amazed at seeing the number of applicants for this last board (43 applicants and only 21 were accepted).

Were you selected? Would you happen to know the typical amount of applicants and how many are usually selected?

Were you selected? Would you happen to know the typical amount of applicants and how many are usually selected?

Yes I went through IPAP. The link FEtoPA provided will have those on a powerpoint slide provided from the BSC IPAP POC. Over the last 3 years, the number of applicants have decreased drastically. The board that FEtoPA applied for only had 43 applicants. The norm before then ranged from 70-100 applicants. The AF has 37 seats to IPAP every fiscal year with 6 alternates. With that said, the 37 seats for the AF do not always get filled. As FAtoPA mentioned only 21 applicants were selected. The board is very specific with what they want to see so maximize your application to shine above other applicants.

I never really looked at it when I was in as I was hyperfocused on med school (dumb but true) and therefor I don't know much about it

Heard it was hard as heck to get into, but not sure on that anymore

if you can get the military to pay and pay you and only owe them some time after I would do it in a heart beat - then you can even apply to the clinical doctorate program after...

just do it!

Thanks for the replies and advice! Yes, I'm sorry 2A353 and working on E's on the line here at Lakenheath (first duty station). I have contacted the local PA and have been talking via email. He has been on leave, but once he returns, we planned on meeting face to face for questions as well as setting up appointments for shadowing.

Wow, real small world. I think we are trying to get the same PA to shadow. FSO? I am a medical guy (Mildenhall), but I have applications to civilian programs (retiring next year). A couple of the programs I applied to require PA shadowing.

Bunch of crew chiefs, huh? 2A674 Fuel Systems here (cue fuel smell joke). My story is AD Air Force at Hurlburt Fld for six years. Got off AD and joined FL ANG to finish school. Finished undergrad in 3 years and got into PA school first try, luckily. IPAP sounds like an excellent option for enlisted, but don't be afraid to get out and use up that GI bill if you don't get accepted. Agreeing with above, shadowing a PA is key. Hopefully it'll light the fire to become a PA that you'll need to make it all the way through school. I'm in my Clinical year and love it, but dang its been a hard road. I wouldn't worry about cross-training to Medical, but try to be an SABC instructor or anything to stand out and show a passion for health care. Good luck.

I can't tell you anything from a military aspect...I can only tell you that you should go for it if becoming a PA is something that you really want to do. Never let concerns about chances get in your way or stop you. You can't achieve a dream by letting doubts convince you not to try. :-) Good luck!

As a former Army medic, my own opinion is if IPAP doesn't work out for you, you can easily knock out an EMT-Basic course or you can get a CNA certification (Certified Nursing Assistant) while taking care of the last of your pre-requisites. I always recommend the EMT route, but that could be because I'm biased being an EMT myself haha. As far as a game plan, you'd be better off finishing up your bachelors degree (depending on how far away you are from it) so you have more options as to which schools to apply to. The GI Bill is a beautiful thing and makes the transition from military to civilian student really seamless. I have a few former military friends who are current PA students and they weren't medics during their service time. Employers and professional schools alike are attracted to military applicants because of the level of maturity they bring to their student body as well as recognizing most military folks are type A personalities who are way more organized than their civilian counterparts. Hope that helps, and thanks for your service.

Thanks for all the replies/adive guys! It's definately comforting seeing maintainers that have been in a very similar position as I am right now. I plan on finishing the 20 credits towards my bachelors in business, while volunteering/shadowing as much as I can. Then finish the 3 pre-reqs I have left and apply.

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

Archived