PA major

People have gotten into PA school with pretty much any major - just look at the accepted applicants stats page! As you said, as long as you complete the prerequisites, your major shouldn't matter much. Why not major in something you enjoy? Keep in mind, though, that PA school (and the medical field) is a whole lot of science, so while you may not want to major in biology, I hope you at least somewhat enjoy or have an interest in it.

Here's a previous thread about how many different majors people have, and you can see from it that besides biology there's not much of a "root" major. So go for something you like! Good luck!

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/36102-What-is-your-undergraduate-major

• Administrator

Majoring in Biology is so boring--it's the most popular major for med students. Do something that gives you style points for flair--be as eclectic as possible, make yourself stand out! Personally, I like having an undergrad degree in information systems and two masters' degrees in religion.

In order of what you need to concentrate on:

1) HCE - get as much as you can.

2) Good GPA in your pre req's. You can't make all C's in Biology/Anatomy/Chemistry and expect to get into PA school... much less, do well in PA school.

Major in whatever you want. Adcoms will look at your HCE and GPA before they look at what you majored in. (That being said, if you major in Bio and have a 3.9 with A's in upper level Genetics/Immunology/Virology... you should probably go to med school!)

experience (especially including mistakes/suffering) is/are our best teacher. hindsight's 20/20 but appreciate where you and your mindset are today and how you got to where you are today.

I agree with PAMAC - major in something that will earn you a job/career. if you can, choose a major where you can incorporate these lab science courses you plan to take. 2 birds, 1 stone

Archived