Preparing for the future (PA Hopeful)

Hi all, I'm currently taking classes at community college (graduated high school June 2012) with the hopes of transferring to a four-year and then going onto PA school. In high school I took a number of dual-enrollment courses through the CC i am currently at, most courses I did will in (A's and B's) but I failed Bio 101. I am retaking Bio 101 but have gotten off to a shaky start. So I am wondering, will these early years hurt me bad in the future? Will a poor grade in Bio 101 really affect me and if so, can i redeem myself at a 4 year?

Also, since I have a lot of time before me, does anyone have any suggestions for me to get ahead of the game and get on the right path to PA school? Also took Medical Terminology as dual enrollment Sophomore year of high school and got a B and C, now that's on my college transcript. Will a PA program be understanding that I took a lot of college courses in high school?

Thanks!

An F will definitely hurt you. CASPA doesn't do grade replacement, so that F will average into your GPA. You said it was mostly due to study habits; be sure you are actually changing things this time around. You know what doesn't work for you, now try to find what does. ​How do you study?

My GPA with that F is 2.84..I have a lot of time to get that up, though. And I study by reading over the chapters that will be on the test over and over again and then making flash cards of key terms. That's what I'm doing this semester at least. It's really a matter of getting good study habits and understanding what works best for me.

Good plan! While you are reading, try to quiz yourself. That way you know you're not just reading without actually interpreting. Your 2.84 with an F is not bad at all since you are just starting out. However, you have to realize how badly it will affect your science GPA. That is what will be most crucial for you to improve. Many people are generally in the same boat as you are their freshman year, you just have to really buckle down and remind yourself how badly you want to be a PA. What helped for me is shadowing; every time I shadow, I'm reminded of how much I love the profession. Maybe try doing that :)

Archived