Paleo Diet and Lifestyle Changes vs low fat/cholesterol paradigm for dyslipidemia

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if there are any PA's out there that are following a paleo/primal diet and how it affects their stance on dyslipidemia when giving nutrition advice. I see quite a few patients in primary care on statin medications to lower cholesterol and I end up recommending a low fat/low cholesterol diet to help their lipid panel results. I feel like a total hypocrite but I dont want to deviate from the standard of care and be a target of law suits. Any thoughts?

http://www.fitbomb.com/p/why-i-eat-paleo.html

There is nothing wrong with recommending your patients eat "whole" foods and fresh fruits/vegetables, and to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I have not heard of the paleo/primal diet, but it looks like it focuses on the fresh foods, avoidance of chemicals in meats, etc. I personally do not promote any diet, diet pills, potions, devices, diet books, etc. that are advertised on tv/radio/media, etc. I encourage my patients to eat lean meats or go partial vegetarian (meaning meat does not have to be eaten every day), fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, eggs, low fat milk including soy or almond milk, depending on their lactose state or allergies. I also think about gluten enteropathies. Dark chocolate? Yes! (In moderation).

Evidenced based nutrition recommendations should be the gold standard in healthcare. The low fat/DASH diet/exercise should be what is recommended to help control dyslipidemia. Unfortunately, this "clean" style of eating is just not sound without supplementation. Your average Joe takes this advice as an Atkins diet with starchy vegetables. Hello vitamin D deficiency! I can't tell you how many times I've been cornered by a Paleo adherent at a social function who tries to tell me they are healthier than they've ever been eating a half dozen eggs and a pound of bacon every morning. Follow the diet you want, but please give researched diet advice to impressionable patients. Or better yet, refer them to a dietitian. :)

Evidenced based nutrition recommendations should be the gold standard in healthcare. The low fat/DASH diet/exercise should be what is recommended to help control dyslipidemia. Unfortunately, this "clean" style of eating is just not sound without supplementation. Your average Joe takes this advice as an Atkins diet with starchy vegetables. Hello vitamin D deficiency! I can't tell you how many times I've been cornered by a Paleo adherent at a social function who tries to tell me they are healthier than they've ever been eating a half dozen eggs and a pound of bacon every morning. Follow the diet you want, but please give researched diet advice to impressionable patients. Or better yet, refer them to a dietitian. :)

Should dietary advice be one size fits all? Does the evidence say that low fat is the only way to go for dyslipidemia?

Gary Taubes wrote a great book called Good Calories, Bad Calories (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462), where he examines reams of data and reaches the conclusion that blaming dietary fat intake for the rise in CAD in the United States is completely unfounded. His research seems to implicate carbohydrates as a more likey suspect. He does not make any hard and fast recommendations--he simply presents the evidence and lets the reader decide. It's not light reading, but it's one of the most compelling and comprehensive books I've read on the subject at hand.

Gary Taubes wrote a great book called Good Calories, Bad Calories (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462), where he examines reams of data and reaches the conclusion that blaming dietary fat intake for the rise in CAD in the United States is completely unfounded. His research seems to implicate carbohydrates as a more likey suspect. He does make any hard and fast recommendations--he simply presents the evidence and lets the reader decide. It's not light reading, but it's one of the most compelling and comprehensive books I've read on the subject at hand.

The lighter-reading version is "Why We Get Fat"

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349727177&sr=8-1&keywords=taubs

Check out Forks Over Knives. The documentary was available for free on Netflix for a long time. Definitely worth a watch/read. When you can get patients to drop 30 pounds and almost 100 points from their total cholesterol in just under 3 months simply by cutting meat out of their diet, I'd say you're on to something. Based on the current risk ratings for cholesterol levels these patients are now in the 'low risk' category. Pretty impressive.

No, diets are not one-size-fits-all. You have to tailor things to the patient. However, I will ALWAYS tell my patients to steer clear of fad diets because they do not empower them to make long term, sustainable lifestyle changes.

Granted, a plant based diet is a pretty significant change. I rarely go that route with patients. But I will tell them every time to cut back on red meat, challenge them to have it at only 1 meal per day instead of all 3. We all know meat has made it's way into every.single.meal we eat. I also have to teach them that meat should only be roughly 1/4 of their plate. It's amazing the results that come from patient that follow this, particularly with those that have massive GI issues like constipation.

FWIW, when a Registered Dietician speaks up on a forum like this, I suggest you listen well.....

Check out Forks Over Knives. The documentary was available for free on Netflix for a long time. Definitely worth a watch/read. When you can get patients to drop 30 pounds and almost 100 points from their total cholesterol in just under 3 months simply by cutting meat out of their diet, I'd say you're on to something. Based on the current risk ratings for cholesterol levels these patients are now in the 'low risk' category. Pretty impressive.

No, diets are not one-size-fits-all. You have to tailor things to the patient. However, I will ALWAYS tell my patients to steer clear of fad diets because they do not empower them to make long term, sustainable lifestyle changes.

Granted, a plant based diet is a pretty significant change. I rarely go that route with patients. But I will tell them every time to cut back on red meat, challenge them to have it at only 1 meal per day instead of all 3. We all know meat has made it's way into every.single.meal we eat. I also have to teach them that meat should only be roughly 1/4 of their plate. It's amazing the results that come from patient that follow this, particularly with those that have massive GI issues like constipation.

FWIW, when a Registered Dietician speaks up on a forum like this, I suggest you listen well.....

Re: Forks over Knives, the program isn't without critique. Here's a thorough critique that you should at least be aware of if you are recommending the program:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

Re: Forks over Knives, the program isn't without critique. Here's a thorough critique that you should at least be aware of if you are recommending the program:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

I hadn't read that one in particular. But if you google Forks Over Knives Critique, I'm sure that one comes up with a bevy of others. It is no different for the Paleo diet. FWIW, I've never heard of rawfoodsos.com. Maybe that means nothing. Anyway, the majority of my feedback regarding F.O.K. has been from professional Dietitians that are currently practicing. Seems like their practices are much closer to the plant based diet rather than paleo. But I guess that could be considered anecdotal.

I hadn't read that one in particular. But if you google Forks Over Knives Critique, I'm sure that one comes up with a bevy of others including that one. It is no different for the Paleo diet. FWIW, I've never heard of rawfoodsos.com. Maybe that means nothing. Anyway, the majority of my feedback regarding F.O.K. has been from professional Dietitians that are currently practicing. Seems like their practices are much closer to the plant based diet rather than paleo. But I guess that could be considered anecdotal.

I didn't mean to imply that Forks Over Knives is any better or worse than Paleo or any other diet. I was only pointing out that there is another side that should at least be considered if one is an FOK advocate.

And, very generally speaking, it's been my experience that RDs are trained in the low-fat diet. Of course, there are exceptions. My earlier point was that, given the current state of diet research, one shouldn't suggest that only low-fat diets are evidence-based because that's simply not the case. An argument can be made that it has been the fat-phobia movement that has gotten us in trouble with obesity.

And, very generally speaking, it's been my experience that RDs are trained in the low-fat diet. Of course, there are exceptions. My earlier point was that, given the current state of diet research, one shouldn't suggest that only low-fat diets are evidence-based because that's simply not the case. An argument can be made that it has been the fat-phobia movement that has gotten us in trouble with obesity.

Ok, I can agree with you here. From what I understand, it seems that the diet research took a wrong turn in the 70's when the low-fat diet won out over the low-carb/sugar diets. Turns out it should have been both. Low fat to control CAD, low carb to control obesity/DMII. Instead of debating the benefits of one versus the other I tend to recommend both. You want a healthy heart/arteries keep the cholesterol down by going easy on the red meat. You want to avoid obesity and eventually diabetes watch the simple carbs/sugars, i.e. candy and pasta. in other words, a very balanced diet covering BOTH of those topics.

I have the same experience with RDs. They tend to preach the "government" diet guidelines. In terms of advice to patients I think it's best to reduce as much processing as possible and/or whatever their unhealthy food is, i.e. soda. Empowered patients will take anyone preaching a "diet" with a grain of salt. Neurologists are having good results using gluten-free to treat ADHD. Whole wheat is over processed and not any healthier than white bread in terms glycemic index (unless it's einkorn or emmett). It'd be nice to see a study on grass-finished meat vs. industrial; African tribes (i.e. Masai) eat an abundance of meat and have a very low prevalence of CAD. The low cholesterol/low fat diet is bad advice. The lard that people in the 50s used on bread is not as unhealthy as margarine with trans-fats. See a recent study in the Lancet, backing up another study, that showed raising HDL had no cardioprotective benefits. I'd guess in a few years cholesterol advice will be scaled back after enough evidence debunks the seven countries study. Vitality is available to herbivores or carnivores.

Vaston, I like your style. My house tries to do many meatless meals during the week. Pretty much all the dietitians I know try to follow a plant based diet with lean meats, and less processed food. Seriously, potlucks in the office get boring real quick. (Yay, another fruit bowl!)

And I hated working with adults for this very reason. The problem with nutrition education is that its unregulated. You can buy a book or listen to lecture from someone who says they have a "background" in nutrition who maybe took an online course. While I agree its impossible to get everyone to see an RD, I do think its counterproductive as a healthcare member to give advice about something they aren't certified to educate on. My problem with the Paleo diet is that it is often used like the Atkins diet. People think they can eat "whole" foods in excess. Also, the whole gluten thing is just bizarre to me. I'm just not going to agree that a person can eat red meat everyday and avoid gluten and be healthy, especially cardiovascular wise. While it might not be exciting, "government" diet guidelines do promote both a plant based diet (full of soluble fiber to help excrete some of that saturated fat) and a low fat/low sugar/unprocessed diet. People always want to think of foods and diets in yes and no. Fat is bad, carbs are good. Carbs are good, fat is bad. I think that is what has helped to contribute to our obesity epidemic in this country; specifically that people don't know what to eat because every couple of years the current fad is to eat something different. Also, if we want to get into the obesity epidemic in this country, it really comes down to poor understanding of even the basics of nutrition coupled with grossly exaggerated portion sizing of the last couple decades. And, a high carb diet has not been shown to increase likelihood of diabetes; research has shown that its more connected to over eating of calories in general and not a particular macronutrient.

Also, I think we should not be using third world tribes as a source of diet inspiration in this country. By in large we are not a semi nomadic people living off the land, but consist of sedentary lifestyles. The Maasai's diet has been studied over the years, and most research points to their activity, intake of vegetables, and prevalence of famine as also contributing to their low CAD rates.

"All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come."

Taped at the ancestral health symposium of 2011. Of course leaning towards a high fat dietary paradigm.

I think the problem is that getting food has become such an easy task for our society that we have all forgotten to learn the basics of cooking.

At the heart of our unsustainable healthcare system is a lack in preventative education which starts at the basics of cooking for oneself. As healthcare providers, it is not our responsibility to educate patients on how and what to cook. but we are at the butt end of the chain where we see the results of years of processed garbage consumption. There are tons of diets out there that make you pay for their products to be on that particular diet and I just believe that if we can educate the next generation to cook for themselves, they can make their own choices. I'd prefer to choose a "diet" that's maintainable enough to become a "lifestyle". Numbers on a lipid panel are numbers. Unfortunately there hasn't been a lab value set for Vitality and longevity (quality of life) yet - which really should be the end goal.

Vaston, I like your style. My house tries to do many meatless meals during the week. Pretty much all the dietitians I know try to follow a plant based diet with lean meats, and less processed food. Seriously, potlucks in the office get boring real quick. (Yay, another fruit bowl!)

And I hated working with adults for this very reason. The problem with nutrition education is that its unregulated. You can buy a book or listen to lecture from someone who says they have a "background" in nutrition who maybe took an online course. While I agree its impossible to get everyone to see an RD, I do think its counterproductive as a healthcare member to give advice about something they aren't certified to educate on. My problem with the Paleo diet is that it is often used like the Atkins diet. People think they can eat "whole" foods in excess. Also, the whole gluten thing is just bizarre to me. I'm just not going to agree that a person can eat red meat everyday and avoid gluten and be healthy, especially cardiovascular wise. While it might not be exciting, "government" diet guidelines do promote both a plant based diet (full of soluble fiber to help excrete some of that saturated fat) and a low fat/low sugar/unprocessed diet. People always want to think of foods and diets in yes and no. Fat is bad, carbs are good. Carbs are good, fat is bad. I think that is what has helped to contribute to our obesity epidemic in this country; specifically that people don't know what to eat because every couple of years the current fad is to eat something different. Also, if we want to get into the obesity epidemic in this country, it really comes down to poor understanding of even the basics of nutrition coupled with grossly exaggerated portion sizing of the last couple decades. And, a high carb diet has not been shown to increase likelihood of diabetes; research has shown that its more connected to over eating of calories in general and not a particular macronutrient.

Also, I think we should not be using third world tribes as a source of diet inspiration in this country. By in large we are not a semi nomadic people living off the land, but consist of sedentary lifestyles. The Maasai's diet has been studied over the years, and most research points to their activity, intake of vegetables, and prevalence of famine as also contributing to their low CAD rates.

Some good points here. I'm not fat-phobic (if it's coming from whole foods) and have experimented with Paleo in the past but I think the pitfall people make is that they think they can eat as much food as they want, as long as they're not eating carbs. Personally, I feel like I fatigue too easily (as a pretty avid runner) if I'm not eating carbs, and the dogma of Paleo sort of turns me off (similarly, "conventional" nutrition turns me off with it's obsession with limiting fat above all else). I enjoy good quality carbs as I enjoy good quality fats. I don't really go for the demonization or glorification of specific macronutrients - I think balance is important, but the main thing is that most people should just be eating less all around. FWIW, in just a few weeks of (finally) integrating some level of caloric restriction into my diet (which for a very long time has been very well balanced and full of good quality whole foods of all types) my lipid numbers have improved. My diet was more or less where it should have been, I think, but I believe I was simply overfed.

"All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come."

Taped at the ancestral health symposium of 2011. Of course leaning towards a high fat dietary paradigm.

I think the problem is that getting food has become such an easy task for our society that we have all forgotten to learn the basics of cooking.

At the heart of our unsustainable healthcare system is a lack in preventative education which starts at the basics of cooking for oneself. As healthcare providers, it is not our responsibility to educate patients on how and what to cook. but we are at the butt end of the chain where we see the results of years of processed garbage consumption. There are tons of diets out there that make you pay for their products to be on that particular diet and I just believe that if we can educate the next generation to cook for themselves, they can make their own choices. I'd prefer to choose a "diet" that's maintainable enough to become a "lifestyle". Numbers on a lipid panel are numbers. Unfortunately there hasn't been a lab value set for Vitality and longevity (quality of life) yet - which really should be the end goal.

re: Cooking, just saw this today...timely.

http://networkedblogs.com/Do2xZ

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed! Cooking needs a revival!

Re gluten, talk to a pt w/ Celiac. Transglutaminase and Endomysium react to damage on the intestinal lining. Many people who are negative for the antibodies (including antigliadin; not very sensitive or specific), do better on a gluten free diet. The rub lies in staying out of the "gluten-free" sections and eating higher glycemic rice starch, corn starch etc. Processed wheat (whole and white) has more troubling effects on the immune system for many people. Gluten acts on opioid receptors so when one comes off wheat they go through withdrawal, and crave carbs for a time. That brownie or muffin will be a temporary exorphin fix, and they'll feel better temporarily. Most people that continue on gluten/wheat-free eating stop having the hunger cravings after a few weeks. There are case studies of schizophrenics coming off wheat and being relieved of auditory and visual hallucinations (see Duke Medical Center etc.). Nalaxone would lessen cravings for wheat in a "normal" person due to the opioid agonist effects of gluten.

• 7 months later...
Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if there are any PA's out there that are following a paleo/primal diet and how it affects their stance on dyslipidemia when giving nutrition advice. I see quite a few patients in primary care on statin medications to lower cholesterol and I end up recommending a low fat/low cholesterol diet to help their lipid panel results. I feel like a total hypocrite but I dont want to deviate from the standard of care and be a target of law suits. Any thoughts?

http://www.fitbomb.com/p/why-i-eat-paleo.html

Paleo Diet works for me, and sometimes Cohen. Well in regards to cholesterol I'm using Flora products as well. It really help maintain normal cholesterol level. :)

There is nothing wrong with recommending your patients eat "whole" foods and fresh fruits/vegetables, and to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I have not heard of the paleo/primal diet, but it looks like it focuses on the fresh foods, avoidance of chemicals in meats, etc. I personally do not promote any diet, diet pills, potions, devices, diet books, etc. that are advertised on tv/radio/media, etc. I encourage my patients to eat lean meats or go partial vegetarian (meaning meat does not have to be eaten every day), fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, eggs, low fat milk including soy or almond milk, depending on their lactose state or allergies. I also think about gluten enteropathies. Dark chocolate? Yes! (In moderation).

I have the same experience with RDs. They tend to preach the "government" diet guidelines. In terms of advice to patients I think it's best to reduce as much processing as possible and/or whatever their unhealthy food is, i.e. soda. Empowered patients will take anyone preaching a "diet" with a grain of salt. Neurologists are having good results using gluten-free to treat ADHD. Whole wheat is over processed and not any healthier than white bread in terms glycemic index (unless it's einkorn or emmett). It'd be nice to see a study on grass-finished meat vs. industrial; African tribes (i.e. Masai) eat an abundance of meat and have a very low prevalence of CAD. The low cholesterol/low fat diet is bad advice. The lard that people in the 50s used on bread is not as unhealthy as margarine with trans-fats. See a recent study in the Lancet, backing up another study, that showed raising HDL had no cardioprotective benefits. I'd guess in a few years cholesterol advice will be scaled back after enough evidence debunks the seven countries study. Vitality is available to herbivores or carnivores.

Going to provide a link to support this post:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/91/3/502.full

Here's an interesting study suggesting that replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates might not actually reduce CVD risk. In fact, it shows that replacing these fats with with high glycemic load foods (like those you listed) can actually increase risk of CVD.

Red meat always gets a bad rap. Turns out, it's not necessarily red meat that's causing problems... it's processed meats:

http://www.jbc.org/content/87/3/651.full.pdf

Admittedly this isn't a very good study since the sample size is 2...

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/21/2271.long

But ^ this meta-analysis by Harvard is nice. Supports the notion that processed meats are what's causing the problem and not just "red meat." The whole meatless thing needs to go the way of the Dodo...

Low fat diets and 50-55% carb recommendations are going the way of the dinosaur and should in my opinion. Increasing body of evidence out there supporting lower carb and higher protein diets for weight loss and dyslipidemia. Low fat diets are pure bunk and so are high fat diets.

Agree with the poster about red meats. Red meats are not as bad as once purported, especially lean and unprocessed ones.

As a personal anecdote, I lost 40 lbs in 5 months eating 40C/40P/20F. I weigh and portion everything and agree with RD that portion size is the elephant in the room for most obese people. I was clearly eating 5 servings of breakfast cereal every morning based on weight, it was alarming!

My lipid profiles, blood pressure, everything has improved . Obviously, an "n" of one is not scientific;)

Pat

Archived