Please Edit My Personal Statement!! Trying to make deadline!

Real estate agents, financial advisors, and salesman make up the bulk of my family tree and even my parents admit that they named me “Morgan” because it would look strong on a business card. However, even as a young child, I showed a significant interest in medicine. I was caught creating casts for my Barbie’s broken legs, turning my dollhouse into a hospital wing, and reading whatever medical books I could get my hands on. I was definitely interested in medicine but throughout high school and early college I always kept an open mind, a reason why I chose a liberal arts college over a school that supplied a “pre-med” major. It was not until I went on my first overseas mission trip, however, that medicine grew from a childhood interest to a life-long passion.

There is nothing better than feeling a sense of purpose in life and I got to experience that for the first time when I was 19, traveling to the northwest side of Haiti. I spent two weeks doing various work in an orphanage, the Gran Moon (a nursing home), and a local clinic. I was so taken with the medical aspect of my experience, I began saving until I had enough money to go back again to Port Au Prince, Haiti two years later; this time with an EMT license. I volunteered for a mobile clinic where I got to work alongside nurses, PAs, and physicians. I took vital signs and obtained histories, assisted in whatever the PA’s or Physician’s needed, and worked in the “pharmacy”. The Haitian’s didn’t know my medical training or even if I had any, but they looked at me the same as each and every person on my team: as someone who could help. I enjoyed being apart of a medical team that helped make a difference in the lives of the people in Haiti. The whole experience was truly rewarding and solidified my desire to practice medicine so that I could not only practice in the United States, but so that I could travel in the future and make a real difference.

As an EMT-B, I have had the opportunity to treat and work alongside patients, learning crucial medical skills as well as the importance of a friendly, reassuring voice in times of an emergency. Going in and out of hospitals all day, I have also caught glimpses of different medical facilities, specialties, and medical staff. I have gotten to observe Level I trauma centers, psychiatric facilities, nursing homes, oncology treatment centers, and family practices while also witnessing the roles different health care providers play. Some are enthusiastic, personable, and compassionate allowing their patients to feel at ease in an otherwise daunting and uncomfortable setting while others are more rushed and distant. The PA I personally shadowed carefully listened and thought about a patients diagnosis as well as took the time to educate, an extremely important trait I do not see in all medical staff. A physician, and family friend, once said it best: “All medical professionals are smart and they all have the same credentials. What sets a good doctor or PA apart is their bedside manner; their kind personality and ability to connect with a patient.” I hope to take the best qualities I see out of these health care providers -kindness, compassion, and the patience to educate- and apply them toward my future practice in medicine.

The role of a PA is everything I look for in a career. While I researched becoming a physician or a nurse, neither seemed to “click”. Although I had briefly been around PA’s and the rest of the medical staff working as an EMT and also from family and friends hospital stays, I truly got a sense of their role while shadowing a PA in internal medicine. Being fortunate enough to shadow a PA who used to be a teacher, I was well educated on both the medical and practical aspects of the profession including the importance of bedside manner, keeping up-to date with medications, and being able to adapt with the improving technologies. I was also able to observe the relationship between the physician and the PA and how they worked together as a team understanding their individual strengths and weaknesses. While I love the challenge of diagnosing a patient, having another opinion of a practicing physician is reassuring and only provides better medical care to the patient.

Being a full time undergraduate student at a private liberal arts college as well as a collegiate athlete has kept me busy and given me limited hours to work and obtain patient care hours during the school months. Instead of relaxing when school is not in session, I have used my spring, summer, and winter breaks to do mission work in Haiti, obtain my EMT-B license, work as an EMT, or shadow a practicing physicians assistant. I truly love working and serving in the medical field and believe I possess the qualities needed to become a great PA.

Great job. Only bigges I saw were the same as mkels with where you can make a difference. In addition, in the third paragraph, you said, "I

... I have gotten to observe Level I trauma centers....

Simply say, "I have observed...", should do the trick. Other than that, verify the period at the end of your quote from your family friend that's a doctor.

Great job and good luck.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you thank you thank you! And to answer the "making a difference in the US" question: I can make a difference anywhere no question - any medical profession can: from my personal experience, however, I enjoy working overseas and while I'm young and able, I want to give time to helping people who do not have access to basic health care like we do in the United States. This isn't to say I wouldn't stay in the US or anything, I just know I'll put the degree to the best use I possibly can!

Archived