3.4 GPA Cut-Off

So I ran into a post where the OP has received a rejection letter from Western University stating, "the admissions committee is currently considering applicants for interview with an overall and science GPA of 3.40 and higher at the time of application".

Do most PA schools these days appear to be heading towards the same route of enforcing a GPA cut-off for applicants that don't reach a certain grade point average?

With your GPA I suggest not applying to Loma Linda. Last year they only accepted students with a 3.7 GPA. Unless your 7th Day Adventist you'll just be wasting your time and money without that 3.7. Touro NV is a good program for you to consider and if you have 1k - 2k HCE the other schools in CA will probably consider you.

Was that a published requirement, or did they spring it on the applicants as a surprise?

Most schools enforce minimum GPA cut-offs (there has to be some way for them to determine an applicant is capable of keeping up academically) and most of them aren't shy about publishing the cut-offs on their websites. If the person you are talking about didn't read their requirements or didn't take them seriously and applied anyway, I don't have a lot of sympathy. If, however, their published GPA threshold was a 3.0 and he still got that letter... well that just sucks. Must be a competitive year.

You need to carefully read the website and all printed materials published by the schools that interest you. If anything is confusing or unclear, call them and ask before you waste your money on applying when you are not qualified.

Was that a published requirement, or did they spring it on the applicants as a surprise?

Most schools enforce minimum GPA cut-offs (there has to be some way for them to determine an applicant is capable of keeping up academically) and most of them aren't shy about publishing the cut-offs on their websites. If the person you are talking about didn't read their requirements or didn't take them seriously and applied anyway, I don't have a lot of sympathy. If, however, their published GPA threshold was a 3.0 and he still got that letter... well that just sucks. Must be a competitive year.

You need to carefully read the website and all printed materials published by the schools that interest you. If anything is confusing or unclear, call them and ask before you waste your money on applying when you are not qualified.

Actually, the minimum requirements for Western U's GPA is posted at 2.7 but he ended up getting a letter informing him that they are only giving interviews to people with 3.4 or higher at the moment. But I read on another post that they actually work there way down eventually once they finish off with the 3.4, and then they go to the 3.3, then 3.2, etc. Supposedly they went down to 3.1s and then that was it.

At the moment, I have an overall GPA of 3.2 with 2 years of EMT experience. I have a 3.6 GPA for my pre-reqs. But I have a 3.4 in my science GPA due to a field biology course that I got a C in while studying abroad, which is about 5 years ago. Is there a big difference between a science gpa and pre-req gpa?

I have an undergraduate degree in English Literature. English Professors at UCLA are brilliant, but they're also crazy and take pride in the fact that they rarely reward students with "A"s. So I always ended up with a B+ and some C. Seriously.

What really frustrated me about this whole English major thing was that no matter how much I studied or how much work I put into a class, I was never able to pull off getting an A simply because the Professor would say things like, "I really enjoyed reading your essay, but I just wish you would have mentioned this..... etc."

The whole thing is really subjective, and if you can't satisfy your professors boredom, then you better expect to get a B+ no matter how good the paper is.

But at least in science, practice and a good amount of time spent studying means you'll do well in the class, because there's a clear cut path for you to follow and simply studying off of the textbook and lecture, and there are practice problems to do. But in English, there really isn't any kind of practice or anything to really master, you just read a novel or poem, write an essay about it, and hopefully wow your professors with it, which never really happens. I mean, I can read the assigned novel ten times over and over again and it wouldn't make a difference in how well my term paper would turn out.

Archived