Extended Deadline on MEDEX Supplemental Application

FYI for those that are getting these together a little late.....

Thank you for your interest in the MEDEX Northwest PA Training Program. We have just received your CASPA application. This e-mail is to remind you that MEDEX also has an electronic supplemental application. For details regarding the supplemental application and applying to the MEDEX program please visit our website at

http://www.washington.edu/medicine/som/depts/medex/applicants/applytomedex_supplementalappinfo.htm

Due to a high volume of CASPA applications we are extending the MEDEX Supplemental Application deadline until October 12, 2012. Please fill out the supplemental application and submit it to us on or before that date.

Please note: we require the supplemental application to complete your application packet. Your file will only be reviewed if we receive this application. Once we receive your CASPA application and MEDEX Supplemental Application, your file can continue through the initial screening and faculty review process.

In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Mariah Kindle

Admission Services Coordinator

MEDEX Northwest

UW School of Medicine

Division of Physician Assistant Studies

206*616*4001

medex@u.washington.edu

http://www.medex.washington.edu/

I don't know, but it seems to me that the CASPA part of the application was much more difficult to complete, so why extend the supplemental if your CASPA was already done. Seems that only hurts the applicants that were diligent and got their applications in before the deadlines.

I agree cgbloke! They also say that if you submitted early that you could possibly be on the first round of interviews, I really hope this is true. It is also possible that they haven't received enough "competitive applicants"? I'm just trying to be positive, but I don't think it is working.

@Tracie: I sent you and ToppDog private messages to try to coordinate some interview practice. Let me know if you didn't get that email.

To me it sounded like CASPA is behind in processing their apps, which MEDEX really needs before they can review them. I agree though, not sure why the deadline would need to be pushed back. People who apply early & whose CASPA apps are completed in time do get a shot at the early interviews though, & that's where the majority of the seats are filled from. The later interviews, like the combined one in Seattle in January, don't fill as many seats, & the odds are not as good. So, fear not, if your apps are in & complete, you stand a better chance than those who haven't submitted their supplimentals yet.

This makes me a little nervous. I submitted both of my applications in mid august. I wonder if there aren't many qualified applicants. I am waiting to hear about BCHS interviews and now I feel more intimidated knowing there will be more applicants.

I put a lot of work into my application and I hope it stands out enough to receive an interview.

Eric

As I see it, if they open the Tacoma site then our odds were going to go up (same # applicants but increased # of seats available). Maybe because Tacoma will be open they just wanted to be sure that they had enough applicants to choose from. After reading the comments above I can only remain positive that I will interview in the first group right when I get back from my trip to the Phillipines.

@ Lily- could have nothing to do with "competitive" and just needed a larger bulk to pick from.

I'm with ya CG, I'm guessing they want a larger pool to pick from. Although UW has had a sterling reputation from the beginning there have been issues with their first time PANCE passing rates the last 2 years, maybe word has gotten around and some people have pulled back from Medex? I look at that as more of a student related issue than program related. But, my first guess would be that the Tacoma (thank god, I'll move back to Mommy's basement) is looking good and they want a large group to pick from! CASPA is only up to 9-15 on their verification dates, so that could be a factor as well. From what I've read on here everyone who has applied has an excellent chance, and I look forward to working with ya'll in the near future (hopefully :) )

Never give up hope. For those that submitted before the September 1st deadline, your chances are really good. I submitted Aug 28th & my CASPA app was marked "mailed" as of yesterday. They also had to wait a week for transcripts after it was submitted. Per Mariah, MEDEX is starting to go through apps for Yakima, but haven't made any decisions yet.

As I see it, if they open the Tacoma site then our odds were going to go up (same # applicants but increased # of seats available). Maybe because Tacoma will be open they just wanted to be sure that they had enough applicants to choose from.

cgbloke,

I applied and interviewed last year (not accepted and reapplied this year) and was told by MEDEX that that year they had over 800 applicants, a record number, so I was told. I conclude from that, that this year there are more applicants. So, if the Tacoma campus opens; and I pray it does, than MEDEX may add 30 + or - seats for an increasing number of applicants.

Don't mean to rain on your day.

Ric

Ha ha, that is good to know, hopefully it isn't anything to worry about

Sorry, lily..... Auto fill put in swear for sweat.... Don't sweat the competition. Them hiding the gates open Til october for supplementals isnt an unusual thing. You still had to meet the CASPA deadline of September 1.

You guys picked a good program. After interviewing there, I didn't bother with anyone else on my lists. There was more more to it than just being impressed by them (there were location and cost issues that went in their favor), but I realized after going there that It was worth it to work hard to get in there.

You should apply again :)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Guest carolanimal
I'm with ya CG, I'm guessing they want a larger pool to pick from. Although UW has had a sterling reputation from the beginning there have been issues with their first time PANCE passing rates the last 2 years, maybe word has gotten around and some people have pulled back from Medex? I look at that as more of a student related issue than program related. But, my first guess would be that the Tacoma (thank god, I'll move back to Mommy's basement) is looking good and they want a large group to pick from! CASPA is only up to 9-15 on their verification dates, so that could be a factor as well. From what I've read on here everyone who has applied has an excellent chance, and I look forward to working with ya'll in the near future (hopefully :) )

I agree. But either way University of Washington is an public ivy and the medical school is awesome, so the PA school is going to be held in high esteem. And from what I read on here and elsewhere, they are worth every penny. Truthfully, I understand the weight that people put on PANCE rates, but at the end of the day it is ultimately up to how hard working the student is and not really that big of a reflection of the school.

Ric, it does seem that their number of applicants seem to increase exponentially every year.

**Just venting**: I'm going "all in" with the hand I'm playing this year...yikes! As I have mentioned before, I am nervous and excited. My stress level seems to increase with every day that goes by, I can barely fit in my skin and feel like I should go for at least a 5 mile run to see if I can calm down. I don't mean to be so dramatic, but I have seldom been so excited and scared at the same time in my life. I hope everyone that is doing this waiting game with me is doing good. Good luck to all...and I really, really, really hope they open up the Tacoma site for this upcoming cycle!

I went to one of their information sessions and in the packet they gave us were last years statistics. There were nearly 800 applicats. I wonder how many of the applicants were did not meet the MEDEX enterance requirements. I was also surprised with the average accepted GPA, it was lower than I expected. I was disappointed when I found out my CASPA GPA would be lower than my acatual GPA due to the quarter to semiester conversion, but everyone else is in the same boat.

I find it humorous that I was stressing out about my personal statements and application until I submitted it. I thought all my stress about PA school would subside when I submitted my application, but in fact my stress has increased waiting for an interview! This forum has helped me a lot. It's reassuring to know I am not the only "type A" personality obsessing about an interview. If any of you live in Seattle we should meet for drinks and blow off some of our stress. I know my friends and family are sick of being a sounding board about this topic. It would be refreshing to have other people who are in the same boat.

There has been an issue with the first time PANCE pass rates for the past two years. As a current student in their clinical year, I was concerned if the didactic year prepared me adequately to pass the PANCE. However, after talking with some of the faculty, they explained that the students who did not pass the PANCE 1. admitting to not studying during their clinical year and 2. passed on their second round.

At the end of the didactic year most schools administer a PACK RAT (pr), which is a pre test for the PANCE. Then at some point through the clinical year, they administer that test again to see how things are progressing. It was explained to me by faculty that UW has placed among the other well performing schools for that pr.. in other words, the students are on par with other schools. However, it was noted that on that subsequent pr UW scores stagnated while other programs had their scores climb, meaning the UW students were not improving on their didactic year.

So, in an effort to fix that problem, MEDEX has implemented a fairly comprehensive mandatory study regime for students to do while they are in their clinical year. I asked the faculty "how much change, or growth of educational material, does this new system represent" and the answer was "about 70% expansion". Meaning, UW has revamped their clinical year program by 70% in an effort to improve their first time PANCE scores.

So no pressure on my classmates and I...hahahahha good times for sure :-|

"i wonder how many folks dont meet the requirement as well. i remember talking to a girl who was dead set on getting into medex, and i asked her what her hce was, and she told me she worked at the front desk at american red cross. i thought about telling her that the only person that i met at the interview session that wasnt a med tech, paramedic, respiratory therapist, RN, LPN, emt, medic/corpsman, or rad tech was a clinical research scientist with patient care experience. so im guessing theres a few people that dont make it through the filter. i wouldnt guess that more than 20 percent of the applicants dont know what they are doing when they apply, though."

I asked during an info session about the number of unqualified applicants applying and was told out of the 800 ish from the previous year about 100 don't meet the minimum qualifications. I feel like that is a pretty high number but at least it means that the qualified applicant pool is lower. Good luck everyone!

Archived