Second semester of organic chemistry needed?

I've posted before regarding my great dislike of Chemistry (and even stronger dislike of chem lab). However, I bit the bullet and finished a year of general chemistry and now I'm in first semester Ochem. I have noticed that many PA programs require at minimum one semester of organic chemistry or biochemistry (how the heck do you get into biochemistry without first doing organic?). Can I stop after this semester?

There are some classes that I would actually enjoy taking next semester, which I hope will be my final semester of prerequisites. These classes are: Abnormal Psychology, Statistics, Nutrition, Spanish I, and a biology class. I've got to take either Abnormal or Developmental Psych for some PA programs, same for Statistics, and I need a few more biology credits for some PA programs as well. Spanish and Nutrition are both highly recommended and I feel they would be more relevant to a career in medicine than more Chemistry.

What do you think? Skip the second semester of Ochem or give up one of these other classes? I have heard from many sources that advanced Chemistry is of no help in PA school or in clinical medicine. But I guess none of the classes are of any use if I can't get into PA school, so that's the priority. I really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Given the classes you're preerring to take. I would do the following:

1 - Solidify which programs you're applying to and compile a checklist of their prereq's

2 - If a school you're looking for requires Biochem, find a Biochem or look at the UNE online class. Depending on how in depth ya'll went in your first semester will dictate your ability to do well in biochem. However, once upon a time, when I was considering taking the online Biochem, I contacted the professor and he stated that many have gone through the course without an o-chem background and did okay.

As a chem geek, this might be easy for me to say, but I'll say that organic is a great course and frankly I think it is a good measure of your ability to manage multiple solutions to a problem and managing concepts. That's really what the course is about along with completing it.

Good luck and I would wager Statistics, Spanish and a Bio class (like Cellular/Molecular biology, genetics or immunology) wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Many schools offer biochem without needing an Organic background. In my experiences, the pre-requisites are cut and dry for most programs. If they want a full year of Orgo, they specify that. If they want one semester of either Orgo or Biochem, they want to see how well you handle some of the more difficult sciences but give you a choice of which. If you're comfortable with your grade from Orgo I and have no interest in applying to a school that wants a year, then pursue other 300 or 400 level science classes that interest you. I would advise if there is any possibility of needing the second semester of Orgo, you take it right after the first. I took a year off (because I absolutely hate Organic chemistry and all that it stands for), and I shot myself in the foot because I had to go back and relearn some of the naming rules as well as some of the mechanisms.

I would literally do anything not to take a second semester of organic chem... most of the schools I applied to didn't require a full year of organic chem.... I took a 5 week accelerated class of Organic Chem and I had no life and I literally felt like i was released from prison when that class was over (Didnt help that i had a Bio class and Med Term at the same time)... it consumed so much of my time... By the way if you can't tell i despise chemistry...

Archived