OUTSTANDING Chart on NP Practice Scope

Very cool! I wish PAs had a chart like that. Looks like NPs are LOVED in the north/south west.

Great Chart and really illustrates graphically what some of us who live and practice in the "full color states" (ND, IA, VT, RI, NH, DC, ME, NM, AZ, CO HI, and pretty much the entire Northwest- WA, ID, OR, AK, MT, WY) has been writing about.

The NPs around me (and jmj11, and EMEDPA, and Andersenpa and Primmadonna when she was home) have FULL autonomy, independence and "plenary authority" everywhere except the inpatient hospital /surgical setting (EMEDPA's , and Andersenpa's practice setting).

Therefore they are understandably, correctly and typically considered LESS Liability for the physicians that they work "with/for" and therefore tend to be preferred in all but inpatient hospital /surgical settings in the states listed above.

The chart also helps ME understand why many here don't get what we are talking about and can't really see it as a issue/problem/concern (RCdavis, burnpa and others).

By looking at the graphic, those of you who live and practice in the Northeast, Southeast, and Midwest wouldn't be able to see first hand what its like competing with a INDEPENDENT provider for a job you are better didactically and clinically trained to perform... and if that is the only place you have EVER practiced... you wouldn't have ever seen this and what it does to the clinical marketplace.

That is an impressive chart.

I know very well the free rein NPs have enjoyed in the NW. At times PAs have been able to piggyback on their success to expand privileges (I recall especially the finally successful movement to earn Schedule II Rx privileges for PAs in Oregon--when was that, 2002 or 3? It was at least a decade and 3 failed tries prior in the making. But more often than not the relationship has been adversarial.

It's interesting to see how constrained NPs are in SC. In truth, I don't know how much teeth those antiquated practice laws hold, because I know several capable NPs who operate with remarkable autonomy (one girlfriend even has a satellite office and off-site collaborating physician whom she rarely sees). Chart review in SC is rather nebulous for PAs and NPs in SC (I am still concerned whether appropriate chart review EVER happened for a year of my career, when my SP barely kept up with his own charts!)

Seems to be fairly equitable for NPs and PAs in Pennsylvania, although the pay is dismal for both groups ;(

That is an impressive chart.

I know very well the free rein NPs have enjoyed in the NW. At times PAs have been able to piggyback on their success to expand privileges (I recall especially the finally successful movement to earn Schedule II Rx privileges for PAs in Oregon--when was that, 2002 or 3? It was at least a decade and 3 failed tries prior in the making. But more often than not the relationship has been adversarial.

It's interesting to see how constrained NPs are in SC. In truth, I don't know how much teeth those antiquated practice laws hold, because I know several capable NPs who operate with remarkable autonomy (one girlfriend even has a satellite office and off-site collaborating physician whom she rarely sees). Chart review in SC is rather nebulous for PAs and NPs in SC (I am still concerned whether appropriate chart review EVER happened for a year of my career, when my SP barely kept up with his own charts!)

Seems to be fairly equitable for NPs and PAs in Pennsylvania, although the pay is dismal for both groups ;(

Why is the pay dismal for NP's and PA's in Pennsylvania? I don't get it.

Pennsylvania has the third highest amount of colleges in the country behind California & New York, or at least they did some years ago. So, it's not too surprising that they would have a lot of PA schools. But the economy isn't so hot there either, so that may be affecting salaries too.

Awesome chart! Bookmarked it for reference. I agree with the others, it would be awesome to see one for PA's. Or, better yet, one that combines both NP & PA for a state to state comparison between the two.

13 PA programs graduating 50+ PAs each EVERY yr and lord knows how many NP programs = Oversaturation.

It's even worse than that- last I checked, if you drew a circle around Philadelphia with a radius of 90 miles, there's something like 27 PA programs. However, since most are associated with medical schools, it just follows the saturation of medical schools in this area too. Big difference is that when those medical students graduate, they can go off to residencies anywhere and may not stick around. Obviously, the PA graduates tend to stay put.

Archived