What is a "certificate" offered at some schools (as opposed to a Master's degree)

There are no degree requirements to be a PA. You ONLY have to attend a program (and successfully complete) that has trained you to the specifications of the NCCPA/ARC-PA. The successful completion of the program leaves you with a certificate which is then your ticket to sit for the PANCE.

That being said, I know of at least one state, Idaho, that will not let a PA practice without at least a Bachelor's degree. There may be others. Employment options get more limited for a non degreed PA as well.

There are still many PAs out there who never attended a formal college. However, their HCE typically consists of several years of direct hands on experience..not volunteering in the ER, not doing research, not working in a pharmacy or lab,but actually bedside to a patient doing assessments and interventions all day, every day. Sadly, these times have changed.

There are no degree requirements to be a PA. You ONLY have to attend a program (and successfully complete) that has trained you to the specifications of the NCCPA/ARC-PA. The successful completion of the program leaves you with a certificate which is then your ticket to sit for the PANCE.

Yep... back before it became all about the $$$...

Just about EVERY role in healthcare had certificate/diploma programs.

For example:

My EMT-B = Certificate of Completion that qualified me to sit for the NREMT-B

My EMT-I = Certificate of Completion that qualified me to sit for the NREMT-I

My EMT-P = Certificate of Completion that qualified me to sit for the NREMT-P

The nursing program I attended was a combination LPN/RN Certificate program (called diploma programs back then). Basically once enrolled, if you stayed for a yr and maintained a B+ average in didactic and clinicals you could take the NCLEX-PN and continue for another yr and qualify for the NCLEX-RN. No college credits were granted.

So when I thought about applying to PA school, I had NO COLLEGE CREDITS but 10 yrs of healthcare experience as a CNA, PCT, Medic and Nurse...!!!! Every healthcare training I had to that point granted certificates, no degrees or college credits except for the few "first aid" and "PE" credits you get from the military.

Once I made up my mind to go for it, I completed 114 college credits in 5 straight quarters (3.7 gpa) was granted a Associates degree in Biological Sciences and applied to 10 PA schools.

Then the Dual FNP/PA program I attended also issued a Certificate of Completion that qualified me to license as a FNP in California and sit for the PANCE... and the nurses in the class directly before us to take the PANCE and sit for the national NP boards without first getting a Masters degree in Nursing.

Since I was a RN but only had a Diploma in Nursing... I was NOT interested in paying money to go backwards to get Associates in Nursing, then pay to get a BSN, then pay to get a MSN to sit for the NP boards... to do the same things I was doing as a PA-C. (in retrospect probably should have done it)

So I forged ahead and got a Bachelors Degree in Health Sciences, then a MPAS all AFTER taking the PANCE/PANRE and working as a PA for greater than 10yrs.

Archived