Interviews for 2012-2013 Application

Josh jon- So unfortunately yes they are done. I called the school today. They sent remaining emails out for interviews, so if you haven't received an email, you aren't getting an interview this year unfortunately.

JN- It's great that your advisor is assisting you but just make sure you don't rely on them to heavily because you may falsely believe there aren't things you can't improve on that you actually can and this could potentially save you another year of applying. I do have a lot of experience as I started in high school and graduated with my BS in 2009. Don't get down on that though- if you didn't receive an interview this year you have some time to fix those things. I think they are mostly interested in well rounded applicants- so if you have a competitive GPA and competitive GRE and think you just lack experience focus on that. There is a lot that you can do -a few suggestions-work as a phlebotomist, nurses aid, EKG tech, volunteer in the ER at a local hospital and get patient experience and exposure to physicians/pa's who can write you references (at some schools such as trevecca references are worth more points from these hcp rather than teachers or employers). Really the best experience is that which exposes you directly to working with PA's so you are able to attest that you understand their professional capacity. I currently work in brain and spinal surgery as a surgical neurophysiologist which I have done the past 3.5 years and has really been great experience. It's a great career- but would take you 1-2 years to get certified and hired, it's not really for someone looking for quick experience.

How much shadowing have you done? Have you done any volunteering (not necessarily medically related)?

I unfortunately had some autoimmune issues in college so my GPA isn't competitive at all. So this isn't a quick fix for me, especially since caspa doesn't replace grades but I did serve on the board in college that helped inform pre PA and pre-med students on applying so I've done a bit of research on it.

Don't give up- use the rejection to motivate you

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a 3.5 GPA, not a whole lot of hours but they were with a PA for a neurosurgeon. the PA went to trevecca. my gre was 297. i have a lot of volunteer work, but not with continuous organizations, so i couldn't put that on my application. im a student-athlete and i work part time at a restaurant. i dont really have time to get a lot of hands on experience so i feel like that was my downfall. i guess i will just move on to pharmacy and try applying for that...i really dont wanna graduate and wait a few years then go back to school.

Jnjordan,

If you really want to go to PA school, don't give up! A year really isn't that long of a wait--that's actually becoming sort of the norm for people applying to graduate school (especially for med and PA school). When I was at my interview, only one of the students that I talked to had gone directly into PA school. From what I gathered at my interview, they like you to either be solid in academics, or in patient care experience. Mine was academics--I only have about 300 hours total from various things (volunteering, shadowing, and a medical mission trip). You have a solid GPA! However, their minimum GRE requirement is 300. I think if you got your GRE score up a bit, you'd be set!

• 2 weeks later...

You'll have just one interview with either 2 or 3 professors in there. Mine was just 2 but I wanna say some people had 3? Everybody was real easy going so that was nice! They pretty much just talked to me about my transcripts and experiences. I would know about the professions ins and outs too, cause they asked me some questions about the autonomy of pas and stuff like that. They just like to see that you know what you're getting into

My husband has an interview on the 11th as well. We are travelling there as a family from Maryland and staying with some friends who live in Nashville. Does anyone have recommendations for what to do there besides the interview? Places to eat? Places to see? We want to maximize the time there.

Hey, ljgiblin! I live in Nashville, and some of my favorite places to eat are The Pharmacy (burger parlor and beer garten), Athens Family Restaurant (greek-type food), El Palenque (mexican), The Cheesecake Factory (pretty much everything), Mas tacos por favor (tacos), The Smiling Elephant (thai-BEST pad thai ever), Burger Up, and Edley's BBQ. If you need anymore food ideas, let me know!

As for things to do:

The Belcourt is a non-profit theater that shows different movies from mainstream theaters. It's really old, and super good! Their movie tickets and concessions are cheaper as well. However, I think they have a Hitchcock stream of screenings going on right now, so that may not be suitable if you have younger kids.

We have a sports complex that you can go ice skating at! As well as things like Centennial park (greenway type deal) and Radnor Lake (trail hiking--easy hiking, though). We have the Nashville Zoo, but it might be chilly. The Grand Ole Opry (country music concerts), Gaylord Opry Hotel (really pretty holiday decorations if they're still up). The Frist has art exhibits all the time (and also activities for kids). If I can think of any other family-oriented things, I'll post them!

Thanks cosminskbf! We are looking forward to our visit and hoping it turns into a 27 month visit come May! Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm putting them on our list of things to do and places to eat...I lived in Indonesia for a while so I love Thai food because the flavors are similar...And we love to ice skate and to hike so both of those are added to our must do list...Thanks again for the suggestions!

So after being on the waitlist for 2 days, my husband got an email yesterday morning asking if he was still interested in attending TNU! He called this morning to accept! Moving to Nashville come May! Even though I'm 'just' the spouse its been a long journey for us as he left the engineering world, studied paramedic, all with the goal of becoming a physician assistant...so excited that our dream is one step closer to becoming a reality! I've been reading all the posts on having a family and going through PA school so I hope I'm better prepared than some but I know it'll be pretty intense for the next few years...

Yeah, frackgirl33! that's great...congratulations! We are the same not quite believing we are moving to Nashville but on the other hand checking craigslist everyday for places to live! I've been going through our home tackling piles of things to purge as we have accumulated lots in the 10 years we've lived here!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK class of 2015, my husband Michael is in your class...I tried to message your group on facebook but don't know how to do it and want to surprise Michael with this request...

So if anyone is still reading this thread, here's the request:

We're moving to Nashville from Maryland. We close on a house in Old Hickory on May 1st. We have a boat load of people in Maryland helping us pack up the truck but we don't know a boat load of people in Nashville to help us unload the truck! So I thought we could have a 'get to know other classmates as you carry furniture off a moving truck party' at our new house! We'll have pizza for those who have time to help...We'll be doing it May 1st in the evening and May 2nd probably all day!

So if you are reading this and belong to the Facebook page, maybe you could post this request there... I know many of you are also relocating to start school soon...so this might seem kind of forward BUT I always quote James' words to my daughter: You get not because you ask not!

If you think you can help, private message me or even if you can spread the news to others in the class, private message me! I think it would be fun to meet people from the class before orientation anyway!

thanks, Lori Giblin

OK class of 2015, my husband Michael is in your class...I tried to message your group on facebook but don't know how to do it and want to surprise Michael with this request...

So if anyone is still reading this thread, here's the request:

We're moving to Nashville from Maryland. We close on a house in Old Hickory on May 1st. We have a boat load of people in Maryland helping us pack up the truck but we don't know a boat load of people in Nashville to help us unload the truck! So I thought we could have a 'get to know other classmates as you carry furniture off a moving truck party' at our new house! We'll have pizza for those who have time to help...We'll be doing it May 1st in the evening and May 2nd probably all day!

So if you are reading this and belong to the Facebook page, maybe you could post this request there... I know many of you are also relocating to start school soon...so this might seem kind of forward BUT I always quote James' words to my daughter: You get not because you ask not!

If you think you can help, private message me or even if you can spread the news to others in the class, private message me! I think it would be fun to meet people from the class before orientation anyway!

thanks, Lori Giblin

• 1 year later...

Archived