New grad EM interview Questions

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new grad physician assistant seeking a position in Emergency Medicine. I would like to know what are the common questions the employer or the interviewer asks a new graduate during the interview and what are the best possible answers for it. I would greatly appreciate for all the responses. I was trying to look online for any sources. but I didn't find any helpful questions that an EM interviewer would ask.

Thank you

pretty much the same questions as any other job interview.... tell me about yourself, why did you become a PA, what are your interests in medicine, why emergency medicine, tell me about your training, what sort of work did you do before PA school, etc. Sorry you're going to have to come up with your answers on your own.

two HUGE points

is productivity jammed down your throat (do you have to see 3-4 patients an hour and what happens if you only see 1-2)

are the attendings okay with teaching and hand holding

these are HUGE points - as an 8 year experienced urgent care PA I took an ER job where these two answers were NO and I lasted 8 months before I quit to protect my license. Since then the director almost lost his medical license for missing an STEMI on EKG %R$#@, and no supervision, then the whole group got fired...... not a good setting....

would be REALLY bad for a new grad

^^^^^ true that

It is VERY hard to find a rural, or non teaching hospital ED which will take a newbie, for exactly the above reason... We are in a business.. Are constantly being evaluated by admin for throughput and turn around times. If you cannot reasonably see 3-5 pts per hr (combined ft and major), then you will adversely affect the whole department. In any non teaching ED seeing more than say 40k per year, no one has time to teach.

Almost everyone thinks that they can do ED, it doesnt look hard.. Until you actually get in there and suddenly need to know how to handle an embolic CVA, occular foreign body, complex facial lac and 10 day old with a temp of 100.6, pretty much concurrently, and efficiently, where the real world is that the off service attendings really do not want to be called, as all of hese are what they reasonably expect the ED to handle.

The idea of ED is good, but only if you can get signed onto a teaching hospital... Where they teach residents, and you will be able to learn vicariously.

vr

davis

Ventana and RC- great points, but the OP was actually asking about what questions the employer would ask THEM, not the other way around....and what answers were going to sound the best.

There's a lot more I could say to a question like that, but I'll just say instead that if you really want to do ER, it will become apparent in the interview

Okay.

If I was in an ED which hired newbies, then I would want to know several things

- prior military health care experience and experience.. Big plus ( not everything is on the resume)

- how adroit are you at the most important personality features of sucessfull ED providers, multitasking?

-Tell me which procedures you CAN do now, and will not need any teaching .. Can you prove that with a procedure log ( helps with credentialling)... I can tell you right now I do not want to teach you suturing.

- have you ever had to perform well and calmly under stress? Tell me about that situation.

And I might suggest a scenario or two... Self apparent diagnoses.. To see your diagnostic capacity..

--- Pt with lethargy, edema and recent GABS.. what labs, what is your differential?

---25 y/o heavy drinker with lightheadedness, tachycardia and fatigue.. Cbc12.5<10/30<100, BMP 148/112/3.0/20 glu 130 BUN75, creat 1.0.. What are your top 3 diagnoses?what info do you want?

I would be interested in how you think, and what brought you to the thoughts that you had.

And the interview would be centered on how good a "mix" you would be with the rest of us. And how good a PA you might become..

Archived