Weird Interview Attire Question

Does it matter? Yes. I use to be on a interview board when I worked at the lab at Johns Hopkins. We did not hire a well-qualified individual because he wore sneakers with his suit. No joke.

Years later I was working at NIH. My boss was going over with us the people she had interviewed for a PhD-level scientist position. One woman was crossed off the list because she wore open-toed shoes to the interview.

This is a good question I'd like to hear more answers about as well because I was always told you should wear heels. But to my last interview, despite me putting things in my shoes to try to prevent this, I had blisters and had a hard time walking. I do want to prevent this for next interview but I something inside me feels weird wearing flats with a skirt.

Also, what is the sticky? New on this site so sorry if it's a silly question

Take some things you read on this forum with a grain of salt. There is no written rule to how you should dress. I wore 4 inch heels to one of my interviews because it was all I had that was close toed and I didn't have time to run out and get anything else. What I can say is wear what makes you look professional, but something you are comfortable in. If wearing flats makes you feel weird and you will be thinking about it while you're interviewing then don't do it. If wearing a bold color will make you worried people are staring at you don't do it :) Wear something to make YOU feel confident and professional, that happens to be different for different people.

Archived