Do PA's work in healthcare administration / management roles? How to get there?

I'm doing my pre-requisites and currently work at a hospital. I feel that the PA profession is a perfect fit for me and that is why I am pursuing it. However, my B.S. background was a double major in Psych and Business Administration so there is a large part of me that wants to utilize these skills within the PA profession.

I notice a lot of the management in our facility are nurses. I have yet to see one PA in the management capacity. I'm wondering if it's just my facility or if this is something that is generalized in facilities across America. I have been researching programs that offer PA/MBA, PA/MPH, PA/MHA and they seem to be far and few between. Why is this?

What makes a NP more qualified to be in a management position than a PA? I've looked at the course load for several NP programs just to compare and none of them are business based. Most of the NP's at my hospital do not have MBA's or MPH's etc. (I've asked them).

So, my question is, how often do PA's serve in this type of administration role? Is there advancement to that level, and if so, what is the path that needs to be taken to get there?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

There are PAs in administrative positions...Folusho and Josann Pagel come to mind. Bill Hunt is the COO of Catholic Healthcare West.....But they are few and far between. Almost every PA in administrative positions has additional training in the form of a MHA, MBA, MPH, etc. Most PAs to be honest...have absolutely ZERO interest in healthcare administration. It's not what we are trained for. We are trained first and foremost as clinicians. To pursue other paths usually requires additional education. And if the other paths are what you know you wanted initially, it might be best to simply pursue them.

I can see that more hospitals are seeing the value of a PAs experience and background in administration. There are examples of PAs who have become a Chief PA for a hospital or health system. There are PAs who have also climbed to other administrative posts other than a top of a clinical ladder. There are also people who are more entrepreneurial who have started their own business. There are many PAs in the military and public health service that affect policy in health care.

My take is that nurses have filled these slots because there are more nurses than PAs. Additionally, it does seem to be true that many PAs have prefered to work in clinical jobs. However, as the PA profession grows in numbers and matures this is not strictly true. PAs come to the table with many other abilities and professional interests, much the same as nurses and physicians have in the past.

My advice is to keep moving forward. Medicine needs leaders with every academic degree. Focus on becoming a great clinician. At the same time you can start to build some leadership skills and experience by working with your state or specialty PA association. Good luck.

Archived