Hello, this is for any BCM students out there. I wanted to know what a typical semester looks like at BCM. For example, what is your schedule? How many breaks do you get per semester? I am part of an organization that invited Mr. Carl Fasser to speak to us about BCM. He mentioned something about having a cycle 8 weeks of class, 1 week of testing, 1 week off over and over. I wanted to know how this worked. I want to get married before I start PA school so I wanted to know how I could manage my time. I know there are many people out there studying for PA that are married, so I think it is possible. Are there any married women who could share their experience or give advice?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HMPA19
      Hi- I currently work as a Hospitalist PA at an academic medical center. Wondering what schedule other PAs have for Hospital Medicine PAs. The two most common schedules that I have discovered include:
      1) 7 on, 7 off
      2) 12 or 13 12 hour shifts/month
      Any other models? What are your PTO benefits? Thanks!
    • By MiMtMePAC
      Hello,
      I recently graduated and was offered a New Grad Hospitalist position in the New England area at a community hospital without some specialties and would like some feedback on the offer...
      Compensation: $48/hr, annually $99,840, plus incentive bonus (unknown amount), shift differential for night shifts $3/hr
      Schedule: 3 12hr shifts, alternating weeks of days and nights, 2 locations couple blocks apart, 6-10pts per day, great coaching and MD support, closed ICU/OBGYN, all surgical emergencies go to larger state hospital nearby
      PTO: 280hr allotment for all CME, sick, vacation, holidays, etc
      CME: $2500 for all license, DEA, certifications, etc
      Added bonus: AAPA Hospitalist bootcamp after 3-6months of starting, covered by the hospital
      Benefits: 10K loan reimbursement per year, relocation reimbursement coverage, 403b 3% match first year, then 5% match thereafter; Healthcare, Life insurance, AD&D, malpractice with tail coverage, etc. 

Does this seem like adequate compensation in general, and is that a good differential for nights? How could I negotiate this if at all? The alternating weeks of days and nights sounds rough, how could I configure this? Any other comments or insights are appreciated!
      Thanks for your help!
    • By anazia
      I have a Bachelors and MPhil in Environmental Sciences. I got married young and have two kids at 27. I am planning to get back to my studies, as both of them are off to school.  I want to apply for Physician assistant program, but I would like to know my chances.
      I have been working as a freelance research assistant for four years. I have worked on medical and scientific papers. I am a good student and have always done well in studies. 
      I am planning to start with Prereqs because even though my degree covers some subjects, I don't want to risk my chances by using an old degree. Also, I am not good at math and have started working on my GRE.
      The only drawback of my situation is that we only have two universities nearby, offering this program. I know I have very slim chances and have been told repeatedly that I might not get in, but I still want to try.

I'll really appreciate your suggestions.
    • By Briannaarroyo
      I am currently trying to register for my courses for the Fall and am running into a problem. For my major, the school only requires one semester of general organic chemistry. I have looked at several PA programs to see their requirements and it only stated that you need organic chemistry, but do not specify if it is one semester or a whole year of organic chemistry. Please help! 
    • By prePA92
      Good afternoon everyone, 
      I am a prospective PA student, and my question is specifically for Baylor's PA program. Does anyone know if both grades are taken into account when determining GPA if the class was retaken? Ex) If I got a C in a course, retook it, then received an A. Is just the A used in GPA calculation? I am trying to get a good idea of my stats in order to determine if I fit the program's criteria. 
      Thank you in advance for your help!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More