How important is research?

I am currently a junior in undergrad and have shadowing and patient care experience, but do not have any research experience. Should I try to find a professor to TA under or is it not really worth it? I know med schools really like to see research experience, but I have no idea how much importance PA schools put upon it. Thanks!

Research is not required for PA school admissions at this time. I tend to see research being considered more of a med school thing (at least on this forum), but I could also see it being useful with more and more programs offering the PA education at the masters level. Some programs require a research project/master's paper to graduate. With this in mind, is it possible that PA programs might eventually begin putting emphasis on applicants' previous research experiences? Just curious about people's thoughts!

• 2 weeks later...
yup research is more worthless than shadowing....

Hey hey! I learned a great deal from research; from pharmacology (understanding drug actions/reactions, applying chemistry and biology to pharmaceuticals and biologics), drug dosage calculations, small animal surgery/microsurgery/postoperative care (anesthesia, aseptic techniques, suturing), detailed record keeping, collaborating with others in a medical and scientific environment, presentations (public speaking), to writing scientific papers/grants.

I value these experiences.

You can't compare this to shadowing. :)

MY POINT was that if you are considering 1000 extra hrs of hce vs 1000 hrs of research, the hce is a better bet for helping your ap.

hce is required. research is an optional extracurricular. most pa students don't have any research under their belts even at the top 5 programs.

Archived