Compensation violation?

I will be working PRN for an urgent care. My contract says I am paid hourly, but they unofficially told me they pay a lump sum per day. For example, shifts are 12 hrs, paid for 12 hours only, even if I am there after closing time seeing patients, which happens almost everyday in urgent care. Is this legal to pay me a lump sum no matter how long I am there if my contract says I am paid hourly?

It is not legal and I think a conversation needs to be had. Either they pay you for all the time you work (like your contract states) or create a situation that allows you to clock out at 12 hours, like stop seeing patients after a certain time or signing out to the next shift, etc.

if nothing changes, you can sue as long as you can properly document hours. But lawsuits aren’t the best way to move up in your career, so gotta use some tact when it comes to legal issues.