Do positions without rotating shifts exist?

I'm down to about 3 years from retiring from the FD, currently working as a ED nurse on my off days and trying to prepare for my next adventure.  I enjoy nursing, but still have that desire inside to move to the provider level, and the ED is truly where I am at home (even with all the BS).

The problem is, rotating shifts make that job a non-starter for me.  I've spent the last 25 years working 24/48, getting up 2-4 times per night, and I'm past that point in my life.

The docs and APPs where I work all rotate and it seems totally random, sometimes they're 7a-5p, sometimes they're 11p-7a, sometimes.. you get it.

Is this just an accepted fact if I want to stay in EM?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FiremedicMike said:

I'm down to about 3 years from retiring from the FD, currently working as a ED nurse on my off days and trying to prepare for my next adventure.  I enjoy nursing, but still have that desire inside to move to the provider level, and the ED is truly where I am at home (even with all the BS).

The problem is, rotating shifts make that job a non-starter for me.  I've spent the last 25 years working 24/48, getting up 2-4 times per night, and I'm past that point in my life.

The docs and APPs where I work all rotate and it seems totally random, sometimes they're 7a-5p, sometimes they're 11p-7a, sometimes.. you get it.

Is this just an accepted fact if I want to stay in EM?

some groups allow for no night shifts after age X, but most places will require nights/weekends/holidays unless you are looking at UC type jobs. 

• Like 1

My wife carved out a little niche at her ED as everybody hates nights, she gets a pretty nice differential for doing it, after a certain hour the pace slows down a bit more camaraderie and a better scope at nights in my experience.

Don't get me wrong, if nights break you like they do some people then they can suck, but certain folks thrive on them.  As I'm getting a bit older if I do long stretches (5-6 nights) it can start being harder to adjust back but it's worth it for me.

• Like 1