I work in a large California HMO and several of my colleagues and I are entertaining the idea of unionizing.  I have seen debate about PA unions addressed within other topics but nothing that really addresses how to go about the actual process of forming a union from within one's organization.  Do any of you have experience with the unionizing process?  If so, how did you go about finding and affiliating with a particular union and generating interest amongst your PA colleagues?  What were the challenges and pitfalls you encountered along the way?  My query isn't intended to weigh the pros and cons of unionizing, nor is it intended to compare our community to that of NPs or RNs; however, it would also be helpful to learn if someone with actual union-organizing experience has some relevant viewpoints on these topics as it pertained to their organizing experience.  Thanks in advance!

• Downvote 1

Biggest thing is finding the union you'd like to join unless you plan on starting your own. If there is a specific union you want to join, reach out to them and they will help you with everything. Any union will take new members. Even though you're a PA the steelworkers union would let you join them. Seems weird but I've seen paramedics part of the women's undergarment union. Obviously just a union they joined. There's tons of unions to choose from

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kettle said:

Biggest thing is finding the union you'd like to join unless you plan on starting your own. If there is a specific union you want to join, reach out to them and they will help you with everything. Any union will take new members. Even though you're a PA the steelworkers union would let you join them. Seems weird but I've seen paramedics part of the women's undergarment union. Obviously just a union they joined. There's tons of unions to choose from

This is true but then there are a lot of hoops to jump through. You can't just join any union and suddenly they can represent you at work. If there is enough interest you approach an appropriate union (and, as said there's plenty), then there is paperwork and organizing and raising awareness and then, after a lot of work, there is a vote among the employees. If the vote is sufficiently "yes" you will become a union shop. Then the union negotiates a master agreement with the organization and , after it is agreed on by both parties, become the guidebook for everything. Then the union represents you. The mechanisms by which that is accomplished is spelled out in the master agreement.

Just wanted to add that I'm in a union shop but, for some weird reason, the RNs were not in the union or allowed to be. In the last year we went through the election process to bring them in so I got to watch the process and discuss what was going on with the union reps while they were doing it.

Edited by sas5814
  • Upvote 1

On 12/1/2022 at 7:10 AM, kettle said:

The pharmacists at one of our hospitals are part of the cafeteria workers union…

• Haha 1