viral two-fers

I've seen more 2-fers among the kids than the adults.  This is working in northern AZ and southern CO.  However, I usually only order a panel that test for COVID, influenza, and RSV d/t cost.  However, the typical practice in AZ is to order the big respiratory panel that tests for about 2 dozen viruses.  We're seeing a particularly bad rhino/entero virus there that has led to a fair number of hospitalizations, mostly in ages 10 and under.

I've only seen influenza A so far, and only in the unvaccinated.  I'm not seeing much COVID, mostly in the unvaccinated.  However, a month ago, most of the few COVID cases I saw were in the vaccinated.

I usually ask patients if they want to play "name that virus", because there's no really good tx for any of them.  I'm not an olsetamivir fan and Paxlovid doesn't seem to do much on the COVID strains my patients are getting.

My place orders toooo many comprehensive respiratory panels.  So daily I see two-fers in kids.  Today I had 2 patients that I remember.  1st- Influenza A (sub category H3) and RSV.   2nd-  Human parainfluenza virus and Human Rhinovirus. I have seen a few Covid's/Flu's at the same time when we only test for those two.  In my area it is al Flu A right now, I have not seen a COVID + in weeks.  

• 2 weeks later...