Can PA's in Texas do VA disability physicals WITHOUT having a supervising physician on record?

There is another thread about this and I put in the 3 contractors who do the VA physicals.

To my knowledge they are not federal employers and you would be required to have a pertinent license in whatever state as an employee of these contractors.

If you live in Texas, you would have to have a Texas license. And have an SP on your license who works in the same scope of practice and meets all criteria.

If you work for the VA doing physicals or Comp and Pen, then you follow VA rules and have to have a license in ANY state and the VA follows your highest license - thus the reference to Utah above. In Utah, no SP for over 10,000 hours of practice.

Hope that helps

On 11/24/2022 at 10:18 AM, Cideous said:

Yep that helps a lot.  These are VA contractors doing the physicals, not VA employees.

Rev, the disability physicals are done using a system set up by the VA to essentially just document the PE.  The final diagnosis and disability rating is made by the VA using the contractor collected PE data.

I think I could make a good argument that making note of normals and abnormals is clinical decision making...its medical judgement even if you don't arrive at a diagnosis or treatment. 

• Upvote 1