Hi so I have no one else to ask since I am a first generation student so hopefully one of you can give me some advice. I just graduated from college with a science GPA of 2.86 and a 2.99 overall GPA. I did not do very well until Sophomore year before Covid and Senior year. I need about 4-5 classes to raise this grade to get the 3.0. I got into a bioethics masters program in Philly which I am debating because of the price, but I could also stay home for that semester and do random undergraduate courses at the colleges in the area to raise my grades up. Do either of these ideas sound better? Which will programs take notice of? Also I can take undergraduate science courses but will the programs look down on classes that are 1000s-2000 level classes? If so should I shoot for graduate level courses and try to get approved for them?

Can you retake any of the science classes you did poorly in? That is what I think they would want to see the most. They want to feel comfortable that you can succeed in rigorous science classes and make an A or B. Most programs don't allow many C's while in the PA program. I think they will not forgive your first grade but usually average them together, so if you got a C in chem2 the first time and an A the second time it averages in as a B. The classes don't have to be taken at the same school but should be an equivalent class. 

3 hours ago, PAPAPA3 said:

Can you retake any of the science classes you did poorly in? That is what I think they would want to see the most. They want to feel comfortable that you can succeed in rigorous science classes and make an A or B. Most programs don't allow many C's while in the PA program. I think they will not forgive your first grade but usually average them together, so if you got a C in chem2 the first time and an A the second time it averages in as a B. The classes don't have to be taken at the same school but should be an equivalent class. 

So you think they’ll like me redoing the classes and shooting for higher grades than a masters?

I can indeed redo all the classes I got C’s in. I’ll be really transparent. For Freshman year I failed Bio 1 but got an A in lab redid it and got a C in lecture. Gen Chem 1 I got a C. Bio 2 I got a B in lecture and and a A in lab. Anatomy and Phys classes I got C+ In all lectures and Bs in labs. I have a ton of bioethics and public health courses that really helped my GPA. 

Yes, you should absolutely retake any of the courses you got C's in and aim for As, if possible.

You'll also want to look at some of the PA programs you hope to apply for and make sure you have their other pre-reqs covered. Maybe you've already taken them, but Microbio, Genetics, and Biochem are commonly required. Once you've taken care of those classes, I would consider taking additional upper level courses and doing well in those (Immunology, Cell Biology, Embryology, etc) to raise you GPA instead of paying for a master's program that you may or may not use or enjoy.

Also be sure you've taken Statistic and any psychology classes that your target schools require.

• Upvote 1