Interviews 2012/2013 Cycle

hi, if you don't mind me asking, what are you working now with your MBA and what was reason for your career change. thanks, and goodluck this year

I don't expect to get far until next application cycle as i need to increase my GPA and gain additional paid HCE as I'm making the career change from business management to healthcare. So I'm applying to 2 programs this cycle Touro NV and Western in Pomona. I'm really eye balling RCC as that is ny top preference but still need to hit 2k HCE (I'm about 1k shy).

I'm on Hold at western as they only look at GPA.

I'm interviewing at TUN on 10/17.

What I didn't like were:

1. $132 k + living expenses.. That was too far out budget for me.. 1 more year and $50k more and I could go to med school.

2. Wasn't a fan of the area

3. It was too far away from my family.. 8hr car ride or 1hr flight plus distance of airport / and overall travel costs.

4. Didn't feel like wow.. I want to learn from these guys. So I felt disinterested when they were speaking to the interviewees.

5. I don't care for the MPH.. I already got an MBA.. Why do I need 3 masters degrees? And there's no way to opt out of it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm working as an ER Tech right now. From '04-'06 I worked for a consulting firm performing cost negotiations for administrative expenses. So I used to work with accounts payable and CEO/CFOs and use benchmark pricing and leverage our firms cumulative purchasing volume to get companies better rates and charge them a percentage of their savings. It became very mind numbing so I landed a job as a VP of a CD/DVD manufacturing facility but now that technology is obsolete. Forecasting I wouldn't have a job in a few years I decided to follow my passion for helping others. Being a CPR / Scuba instructor as a side gig I was very interested in barotrauma and set up a shadowing rotation at a hospital and was drawn to PAs for a variety of factors. So I strategically lowered my expenses, got a golden hand shake and began my journey to become a PA. Now I'm working as an ER Tech making 1/2 my previous salary while I wait to get into PA school.

thank you for sharing and good luck to you sir.

I'm working as an ER Tech right now. From '04-'06 I worked for a consulting firm performing cost negotiations for administrative expenses. So I used to work with accounts payable and CEO/CFOs and use benchmark pricing and leverage our firms cumulative purchasing volume to get companies better rates and charge them a percentage of their savings. It became very mind numbing so I landed a job as a VP of a CD/DVD manufacturing facility but now that technology is obsolete. Forecasting I wouldn't have a job in a few years I decided to follow my passion for helping others. Being a CPR / Scuba instructor as a side gig I was very interested in barotrauma and set up a shadowing rotation at a hospital and was drawn to PAs for a variety of factors. So I strategically lowered my expenses, got a golden hand shake and began my journey to become a PA. Now I'm working as an ER Tech making 1/2 my previous salary while I wait to get into PA school.

I think they're all Tuesdays so far... Touro is a Jewish institution so they don't hold campus activities on weekends after I think sundown on Friday.

Thank you. I thought so too but just wanted to make sure before I take a day off from school. I've been trying to call admissions to schedule for the 23rd as well but had to leave a voice message. I'll try again tomorrow.

To those who are still waiting, remember to email any updates that will benefit your application. I got the interview invite after I notified them of my updated direct care and volunteer hours since CASPA submission. Good luck!

Thank you. I thought so too but just wanted to make sure before I take a day off from school. I've been trying to call admissions to schedule for the 23rd as well but had to leave a voice message. I'll try again tomorrow.

To those who are still waiting, remember to email any updates that will benefit your application. I got the interview invite after I notified them of my updated direct care and volunteer hours since CASPA submission. Good luck!

Sorry I probably should've mentioned this sooner but, they're on a break right now. My friend goes to Touro's DO program and he's gone back home to LA for awhile. Campus is closed yesterday and today, at least according to the calendar. They should be open tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

p.s. Here's their calendar for reference: https://www.google.com/calendar/b/0/embed?src=touropa2015s@gmail.com

Sorry I probably should've mentioned this sooner but, they're on a break right now. My friend goes to Touro's DO program and he's gone back home to LA for awhile. Campus is closed yesterday and today, at least according to the calendar. They should be open tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

p.s. Here's their calendar for reference: https://www.google.com/calendar/b/0/embed?src=touropa2015s@gmail.com

I just received a confirmation email from Ms. Bible that I'm scheduled for 10/23. Thank you though! I should have search for their calendar instead of trying to call for 3 days XD.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you guys on the 23rd! My dad and I plan to stay at the Marriott nearby, so maybe I'll be seeing some of you on the shuttle ride to Farragut Inn =].

I just received a confirmation email from Ms. Bible that I'm scheduled for 10/23. Thank you though! I should have search for their calendar instead of trying to call for 3 days XD.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you guys on the 23rd! My dad and I plan to stay at the Marriott nearby, so maybe I'll be seeing some of you on the shuttle ride to Farragut Inn =].

Oh, cool. See you on the 23rd. Where are you coming from?

There wasn't one. You have to click on the link on the lodgings page and it'll automatically show up as the "Touro University rate" in small letters when you make the reservation. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sfovl-courtyard-vallejo-napa-valley/?corporateCode=u79&toDate=&fromDate=&app=resvlink I checked my confirmation email and there wasn't a code listed but it said "Touro University rate" under the type of room I booked.

Oh, cool. See you on the 23rd. Where are you coming from?

Hey ttt88,

Congratulations on receiving your interview! It seems as though the both of us will be interviewing on the 23rd. Good luck and I hope that your interview goes well! Also good luck to the rest of the applicants on this board who have received an interview or who are anxiously waiting for one!

I'm excited for next week :-). I'm from Garden Grove, near Disneyland haha, so it's gonna be quite a long drive. My parents are also coming along because they want to see the area, but we have to drive back immediately after the interview due to work and school the following day.

I heard from Ms. Bible that there'll be about 20 other people staying the Marriott like me, so I'll look forward to meeting you guys!

Someone had mentioned that the admissions committee will ask "questions about serving in rural populations from personal experience." Does this mean that applicants are expected to have experience working/volunteering in rural areas? Would a person who has had some kind of experience in a rural area have an advantage over other applicants who don't?

I'm asking this because I live in a big city where rural areas are hours away from where I live.

Archived