Opinion on New Grad offer (neurology) including productivity bonus

Hello all,

I'll be starting as a new grad in Neurology in CO (however long licensing takes...ugh). I'll be working at a small private practice that is connected with a hospital in the area. I wanted to know what your opinions were on the base/productivity %

Base: 65k

Productivity: $$$ I bill out x 70% (30% for overhead), subtract my base salary, the rest is mine in bonus. E.g. Let's say I bill 130k, .70 of that would be 91k (so my bonus would be 26k to get me to a annual salary of 91k).

Benefits: Health, dental, 500 CME, not sure on vacation yet, a usual 8:30-4/5 workweek (still working on the details) with some hospital work in there. No weekends.

I'm mainly curious about your opinion of the productivity bonus? This is all brand new for me and the practice, as they've never had a PA before. It's two neurologists in a busy CO clinic.

I think your productivity bonus could vary quite a bit with how many patients you see per day and whether you're billing 99213 or 99214. I work in neurology (part time) and get a base salary without productivity bonus. A busy day for me is 12 patients and I bill almost exclusively 99214. A a lot could depend on the kinds of patients you are seeing. Depending on how much neuro experience you have (or don't have) you could be looking at a steep learning curve where you go for several months only seeing 6-7 patients per day. What are they expecting of you????

Archived