PACKRAT

Hey everyone!

I just finished my PACKRAT exam last week and I scored a 157. From what I’ve seen online it looks like an okay score, but I’m having a tough time with a little “Imposter Syndrome”.  My clinical rotations are right around the corner and I feel like there there are still quite a few details and topics that I haven't quite fully mastered yet. I haven't been as stressed during didactic, but with clinical rotations starting I feel even more pressure to have everything mastered. While I feel like I did okay overall on the PACKRAT - there are a couple areas it definitely highlighted as needing more practice. I want to be the best PA that I can possibly be - and it worries me seeing a couple areas in the 30th percentile on the PACKRAT. While I’m stressed I’m also super excited to start working on clinical skills. I scored greater than 95th percentile on a few areas, but I just worry that those couple areas (Pulmonology and Diagnostic Studies) are my “weakest links” and could drag me down. Here’s a couple questions I have:

1. Other than Rosh Review, what resources do you recommend to dive deeper into the topics that need more practice?

2. Is it normal to be feeling so stressed with the start of clinicals? 

Thanks!

Not only is it normal to feel stressed at the start of your clinicals, you'll feel it again at the start of each new clinical, since you'll be in a new area of medicine, with new preceptors, likely at a different site with a new EMR, floor plan, ways of doing things, etc.  It's totally normal and a sign that you understand the magnitude of what you'll be dealing with.

You'll also feel stressed in your first job until you've paid most of the learning curve - which will likely take 2-3 years.

You're totally normal.

• Upvote 2