New Grad in NC. Waiting to get credentialed is taking FOREVER!!

I am a new grad, and accepted a really good fam practice/peds offer in NC.

I wanted to move and start work ASAP, but the board is telling me FOUR MONTHS for my license credentials.

The office is telling me I can't start until then, but I was under the impression that I could be trained while waiting? Anyway, that is the impression they gave me in the interview. The doc seems urgent for me to start, emailing me everyday asking how things are going, but the practice administrator is not budging. I am kind of in limbo with everything else in my life right now (finances, living situation, boyfriend quit his job, etc) soo would it be out of line for me to ask them to give me an estimated date? Now, I am just waiting for the board.. and don't know if I need to get another job, move, etc. while waiting.

And does it really truly take FOUR MONTHS?!?!

Thanks for your help :)

Jenni

You are talking about getting a NC license, correct? In my case, I knew I'd be working in NC after grad so I started the application process and had all my materials in several months before graduation. I found out I passed PANCE on Thursday and the license was emailed to me the following Tuesday.

If you already have your -C and are then starting the process, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while; we were advised to start the process early for that reason. If I had to guess though, they probably tell you four months to hedge, but it won't really take that long.

I think they have to make you wait to start in clinic for liability purposes, since you're not really licensed to practice medicine yet...have you asked about shadowing the doc while you're waiting, though? You may be able to convince them to let you do that with the provision that you can't touch any patients until your license comes through. That would at least let you get more familiar with your SP and the work flow of the office while you're waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I did not see it until now. Unfortunately, my school did not give me any insight into the licensing process and it was a complete shot in the dark for me. Before getting my C i was too worried about the PANCE and really didn't know all the paperwork and $ it would require. Again, blaming my school for that one. But in hindsight, guess I should have done more research. Also had some financial difficulty so that didnt help either.. but, still waiting for my license!

Yep...

For a DECADE... We have been posting on here that PA students should be doing licensing paperwork at least 6 months before graduation either in the state you want to work in or in the state your program is in. As its quicker to get a license in another state if you already have one in the state you are in.

The idea is to have all paperwork (fingerprinting, background check, NPDB, etc) completed and the only 2 pieces left being your program transcript and PANCE results.

Doing this made it the reason why Exactly 10 days after I passed the PANCE... I recieved 3 state licenses in the mail: 1 California PA License, 1 California FNP License, 1 Washington state PA License.

Archived