Hey All.....so I must admit that I am dissapointed in the most recent occurences at Western U. So I know my stats are not the most impressive and there are applicants that top mine (3.43 Science, 3.38 cummulative) 6,500 HCE hours as an EMT and Medical Assistant. Most recently I recieved an email from my admissions counselor stating that my application was rejected "as the admissions committee is currently considering applicants for interview with an overall and science GPA of 3.40 and higher at the time of application." On the Western PA website it states the minimum for qualification is 3.0. Now this is my second year applying to PA schools so I know the game pretty well and readily acknowledge the competitive nature of this profession.

Now last year Western received a total of 1,824 applications (multiply that @ 50$ for the supplemental fee) = $ 91,200!! This is unethical on their part to take advantage of students like this on such a grand scale. There is nothing that we can do however. All I am hoping for is an "equal" review of my application. They didn't even read my application, my essay, my HCE, my community service activities, etc...... just sent a rejection letter. Now, I have been rejected by PA schools before and I understand, but for them to not even look at my application AND still take my hard earned money? That's unethical at the very least and they should return the fee's to those students who recieved this email and are placed in the same category as my file. Any thoughts on this everyone?

Thank you!

That's how western rolls. They aren't the only ones. Many programs adjust their interview cutoff rubric once apps roll in, and it's not always to screw folks.... But with western, it's a given that just about everyone gets to send them a supplemental with thier $50. They are in the business of healthcare education. I think it's cheap, but the devils advocate would say that they want the latitude to dip down to 3.0 if they don't have the kind of applicants applying that they want to see. But places like western have a pattern they follow. I'd be interested to know if they don't send out supplemental apps to folks below 3.0.

• Upvote 1

Robertforest: sorry but are you sure it's a rejection email? I got one saying my application was on hold because my GPA didn't meet the 3.40 they like, but it's not an outright rejection.

PAMAC: western doesn't do supplemental invites, it's available openly on their website.

Since you are already a Physician Assistant (according to your profile)... they likely saw no reason to consider you for matriculation.

Or... You probably recieved the rejection letter because you didn't pay attention to detail, confused them... or simply didn't follow their instructions.

:heheh:

• Upvote 1

Robert,

I checked the Western University website and it had indicated that the minimum overall and sciences GPA needed to be a 2.7, not a 3.0. Based on your statistics as far as GPA is concerned, you are a better candidate than I am: my overall and science are 3.08 and 3.01. I do have a masters degree in an athletic training and sports medicine, but they unfortunately do not take into consideration my graduate degree GPA. I've received two emails that my application is still being considered by the admissions committee. I'm kind of curious as to why you got a rejection letter? I assume your personal statement and reference letters were strong?

I could see that argument working for a program like the one in AZ that charges a supplemental but theres no actual app or anything, just the fee. When I applied my app was 900 and something out of 3000 at that time, there were only 30 spots left for interviews yet they continued to accepts apps AND supplemental fees way beyond what they needed...whatever...I knew I would lose money during the application process so I just chalked it up to that....

I did chit chat with a PD that said that you should always expect that the min on the site does not reflect the min accepted candidate. They said that they have a min to allow for those students with exceptional backgrounds that may not have the higher GPA.....when you hear about exceptions to the rule....its typically those people decades of high quality direct patient contact, volunteered in various countries, saved 10 babies at one time from a 10 story building on fire (one baby each floor).....

I would check your entire application, and have a peer check it to. seems as though there's an error in there, maybe the secondary didnt go through. you must double or triple check that they have everything, pre-reqs are up to date, everything. it's a proactive process. good luck

I am sorry, but based on the original posters history you must take what he says with a grain of salt. It appears Robertforest is just out to bash schools. If you look at his older posts he states that he is a graduate of Chatham University from 2011 and that he passed the PANCE.....hmmm

• Upvote 1

Agreed. However, Western made it very clear this weekend that HCE is NOT a determining factor in any way in you being granted an interview. From the program director, "having experience will not make you a more or less competitive applicant". They take the lowest of three GPA's (overall, science and prerequisite) and that's where they start cutting. No other considerations prior to that. Additionally, on more than one occasion it was advised to repeat coursework or 'strategically' take classes that would boost one's GPA accordingly. While the two Board of Trustees members that I met were very nice, I have to admit after hearing that this is how they conduct their selection (and don't start the review until November 1), I am no longer applying there.